What's new

TV cuts of films with deleted scenes. (1 Viewer)

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Given that YouTube has almost everything under the sun, the one thing I've noticed is uploads of deleted scenes taken from an alternate TV cuts of films. In the spirit of this, I have decided to compile a list of films I am aware had deleted scenes tacked on to them for a subsequent TV broadcast, and if you can find them anywhere else. I'll go with the well-known ones first.

• DUNE (1984) - Several minutes of deleted footage added for 1988 syndicated broadcast. This cut is 40 minutes longer, aided by footage reused throughout the film. This cut is available on DVD.
  • STAR TREK - THE MOTION PICTURE: 1983 ABC telecast added 12 minutes. Only available on VHS and LD. Some deleted footage appears on 2001 Director's Edition DVD.
  • WATERWORLD: 1998 ABC telecast added 40 minutes. Released on Blu-Ray.
  • BRAZIL: "Love Conquers All" cut that aired in syndication in 1989 includes some footage not in theatrical cut. Released on LD and DVD by Criterion.
  • THE GOONIES: Legendary Octopus scene reportedly appeared on some TV cuts.
  • 1941: ABC version in 1983 added 28 minutes of footage. Available on LD, DVD, and Blu.
  • SUPERMAN - THE MOVIE: TV version prepared by Alexander and Ilya Salkind adds 45 minutes of footage. Available on Blu-Ray. Some footage appears in 2001 Director's Cut.
  • SUPERMAN II: 16 minutes of footage added for ABC telecast.
  • SUPERMAN III: Extended ABC version included new title sequence in the style of the first film.
  • EARTHQUAKE: 1977 NBC version includes some deleted footage along with newly shot ones. Released on Blu-Ray.
  • MIDWAY (1976): Four-hour (plus commercials) version with newly-shot footage in addition to footage from the cutting room floor. Some of this footage included in 1992 CBS broadcast as well as on DVD.
  • TWO-MINUTE WARNING: New subplot filmed for TV cut. Charlton Heston appears in this footage. Appears as Blu-Ray extra, albeit ripped from a VHS. This version was presumably destroyed in 2008 Universal vault fire.
  • KING KONG (1976): 45 minutes added for 1978 NBC broadcast. Whereabouts of footage unknown.
  • HALLOWEEN (1978): TV cut features 12 minutes of new footage shot by John Carpenter during the making of HALLOWEEN II, including the foreshadowing of a plot twist introduced in the latter film. This cut got a DVD release through Anchor Bay.

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Earthquake, Midway, Two Minute Warning, Airport 77 and King Kong 1976 all had newly filmed footage added for their network premieres to expand them to 2 nights at 2 hours each with commercials.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Fast Times At Ridgemont High

The nude/sex specific scenes were removed. Other footage was inserted in different places.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Cheech and Chong's Next Movie

The weed specific scenes/dialog were removed entirely. Other footage was added in diferent places.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Additional titles with deleted TV material:

Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan-Deleted scenes included specific identification of Peter Preston as Scotty's nephew. This cut footage is in the Blu-Ray "director's cut".

Beyond The Poseidon Adventure-TV Cut included deleted scenes, including ones showing the other survivors at the end of the film (in the theatrical cut all we see and hear are Michael Caine and Sally Field). Not released on video.

The Concorde: Airport '79-Like Airport '77 and other Universal late 70s films, we had new subplots shot after the fact for TV cuts including a flashback of Joe Patroni's wife (Jessica Walter) dying. Not released on video.

Damnation Alley-TV cut included a scene at the Air Force base of George Peppard talking to Murray Hamilton, the base general, who is in a drunken stupor. In the theatrical cut, Hamilton is uncredited and can only be seen in the background in the opening and in one frame before the explosion at the base. Not released on video.

Jaws-Network TV cut trimmed the gore and added deleted scenes of Quint buying piano wire at a music store and taunting a kid practicing the clarinet. Also some longer versions of other scenes and an alternate take of Brody and Cassidy talking on the beach before the discovery of the body. These deleted scenes/alternates are in the DVD/Blu-Ray supplemental sections.

Jaws 2-Network TV cut included deleted scenes such as Mayor Vaughn voting against the firing of Brody and an underwater perspective shot of the shark attack on the trapped helicopter pilot. Scenes included in the DVD/Blu-Ray supplemental sections.

There is also a rumor that the first network TV showing of The Island Of Dr. Moreau (1977) restored the deleted ending of the film which shows Barbara Carrera transforming (and ending it on a downer/shock note). This has never been confirmed as the footage has not surfaced nor have any boot recordings of this broadcast. The Blu-Ray release shows a video still that pushes the argument this was what shown on TV.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
SUPERMAN II: 16 minutes of footage added for ABC telecast.

IIIRC, I remember a scene at the end of the tv version where the power-stripped kryptonians were arrested and shoved into a paddy wagon.

When I watched Superman II other times over the years, I was wondering what happened to that paddy wagon scene.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I remember The Battle Of The Bulge (1965) airing in 2 two hour segments on TV. I rented the VHS version often when that format was new and remember a lot of sequences that are missing from the Blu-ray. The majority of them involve Robert Shaw and the Germans before the attack.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
IIIRC, I remember a scene at the end of the tv version where the power-stripped kryptonians were arrested and shoved into a paddy wagon.

When I watched Superman II other times over the years, I was wondering what happened to that paddy wagon scene.

Superman III also had an extended tv cut

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Halloween I and II had tv cuts with extra footage. Several scenes were also rearranged for Halloween II
I'm sure you know this but for those that are unaware, the footage added to the first Halloween on TV was shot specifically for the TV airing (filmed when they were shooting Halloween II). I have to imagine that there aren't many (any?) other examples of a movie shooting new footage for a TV cut years after the fact.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Universal did this often in the 70s. The aforementioned TV cuts of "Earthquake", "Midway", "Two Minute Warning" and "Airport '77" all contain footage shot more than a year after the original production for TV airings occasionally mixed in with new footage from the original shoot. All of this was done to get two part showings on network TV which generated more ratings. We've forgotten how in the pre-VCR days, the showing of a movie on TV was a "Big Event" form of television.

In many of these instances this would involve only bringing back a minimal number of participants from the original shoot. Charlton Heston did do some new scenes for "Midway" and one scene in "Two Minute Warning" but the latter consists entirely of that bizarre new plot in which the terror attack becomes a mere cover for a boring art heist (the bit actor who played the sniper and was barely glimpsed got to do one new acting scene when discussing the part). "Earthquake" brought back Marjoe Gortner and Victoria Principal for one pointless scene of him stalking her. More often we'd be seeing new actors who were unconnected to the original shoot.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter, Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives and Jason Goes To Hell: The FInal Friday all had deleted scenes added on TV to make up for the violence and nudity that had to be cut for TV. I think the scenes from The Final Chapter are on the various DVD/Blu-rays.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I forgot about Murder By Death which had several deleted scenes in its TV showings including one at the end where "Sherlock Holmes" and "Dr. Watson" stop to ask Peter Sellers for directions to the big party they have now missed. I think this TV cut was the first VHS release of the film, but the footage hasn't been seen since (it is on YT) and was not included as supplements in the recent Blu-Ray.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
And this is sort of fudging the category a little bit, but the two part episodes of "Battlestar Galactica" were originally syndicated in "Telemovie" packages that added scenes cut from the original ABC broadcasts. "Lost Planet Of The Gods", "Gun On Ice Planet Zero", "Living Legend" and "War Of The Gods" all contain new footage while the episode "Experiment In Terra" which was mashed together with the "Galactica 1980" episode "Return Of Starbuck" had over six minutes of footage that was not part of its original ABC broadcast.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
And this is sort of fudging the category a little bit, but the two part episodes of "Battlestar Galactica" were originally syndicated in "Telemovie" packages that added scenes cut from the original ABC broadcasts. "Lost Planet Of The Gods", "Gun On Ice Planet Zero", "Living Legend" and "War Of The Gods" all contain new footage while the episode "Experiment In Terra" which was mashed together with the "Galactica 1980" episode "Return Of Starbuck" had over six minutes of footage that was not part of its original ABC broadcast.
In the same vein the theatrically released “movies” made from two-part Man From UNCLE episodes, which have newly shot footage and now air on TCM. There was also a Saint “movie,” Vendetta for The Saint.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Don’t forget Close Encounters of the Third Kind. And does The Godfather Saga count? I’m not sure if that re-edit of the 2 movies into chronological order contained previously unused footage or not.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It certainly did. The initial Novel For Television version included some deleted scenes, and then the following Saga/Complete Epic edits included even more deleted footage. Some of the deleted scenes were dropped in at incorrect moments in the film as well, and they’re not necessarily in the same spots for Novel and Epic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks