What's new

Tumult Sounds Awesome (1 Viewer)

Dan Pawlowski

Stunt Coordinator
I finally got the opportunity to fire up my Tumult this weekend and it sounds awesome. I was already using a Tempest sub and I didn’t think there would be much of a difference between the two, but I am convinced now that there is. The Tumult’s bass is much “cleaner or accurate” than the tempest (although this could be due to the change in Q for each of the drivers in the same box). Also this sub goes really really low.

My Tempest was originally built from a design Adire Audio provides on their website. It is a Butterworth (Qtc=0.707) sealed alignment (120L) powered by a AVA250 Amp. I wanted to drop the Tumult into the same box, but the depth of the Tempest is around 2 inches less than the Tumult so a modification was in order. I added two more pieces of ¾” MDF onto the baffle and inserted Tumult and ta-da-to-daaa, I am now rockin’. Can you say really heavy sub woofer…definitely a two man operation to move this thing in an out of rooms.

I figure the alignment of the Tumult sub is somewhere between Q=0.500 (which is what I wanted) and Q=0.577. My guess is that my sub now has a Q= 0.52. Someday soon, I will be doing an impendence measurement to determine a more accurate number for Q. But for now I am going to sit back, relax, and enjoy the melodies….

A

Anthony_Gomez

Dan, the biggest difference I noticed with XBL2 drivers is on the really low frequencies. Try playing 15-20hz tones through both the sealed tempest and sealed tumult. you will probably only FEEL the tumult and will feel AND hear the tempest (because of distortions).
...so...where are the pictures :D I don't care if it is MDF or not ;)

Dan Pawlowski

Stunt Coordinator
That is an excellent observation Anthony. I did notice that 15Hz is no longer heard except for the house rattlings of the house of course :)
I watched the movie "unbreakable" last night and wow what a lot of base.
Pictures will come...i use a digital camera from work.
dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks