What's new

Trying to decide on entry level HT (1 Viewer)

Eugene_R

Auditioning
Would either of these scenarios be a decent start for a small home theater for movies and music?

Onkyo TXSR501 receiver and Polk R20 main speakers for the fronts.

-or-

Harman Kardon AVR130 receiver and Infinity PRIMUS150 main speakers for fronts.

I would like to run this with a new DVD player and decide on a subwoofer, center speaker and surrounds later.

Does this sound like stupid idea?

Thanks

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
No it is not stupid, this is ideal for a beginner. The receivers are both good, I have that Harman. As for the Polks, the R20s are excellent entry level bookshelf speakers but the matching center ( csi20 ) is not a great match IMO. You may be able to find a pair of polk rti28s or 38s with the CSI30 center cheap because they were discontinued.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I installed two different HT rooms over this past weekend, and used refurbished Onkyo SR-501's in both of them.

While the 501, probably lacks enough real power for larger rooms, medium to smaller rooms, seem to be very impressive with the unit.

In the end, the 6.1 extra amp and sounds modes to go with it, plus the addition of component video switching make it a little more attractive than the Harmon Kardon 5.1 recievers without component video in my opinion for modern HT.

Just some more things to think about more than anything.

The SR-501 definetly has that high end sound, jaw dropping on T3 (HT) and Passion and Warfare (Music)in all ch. stereo.

Thomas Nichols

Stunt Coordinator
I have an H/K AVR125 and R20's. It sounds great. I love my setup. I do think both setups sound nice. I cannot imagine you will be disapointed with either option.

Eugene_R

Auditioning
Graham, John, Thomas!

Thanks so much for your help/opinions.

I think I will look for those Polk RTi28s and CSi30s for my system. Actually if I can find some good floorstands I guess I could get RTi28s for my surround speakers as well.

Thanks again!

Brent_S

Second Unit
Eugene,

Crutchfield currently has the RTi28s on closeout for $199/pair and the RTi38s for $249/pair. To make it even more enticing, if you buy more than $499 of Polk speakers, you get a $199 credit. I just picked up 3 pairs of 38s for $550. I'm very happy with their sound. Circuit City's are rumored to have the same pricing/incentives, but it's hard to find CCs with any RTi series left.

Oh, yeah. The $199 incentive can be replaced with their 202 subwoofer. At only 50 watts and a 10" cone, I'd pass.

Floor stands are just a trip to Lowes/Home Depot away. Screws/glue, a can of $5 Oops! paint and you're there. I just built some 25" stands for the front and 48" stands for the rear for $30ish total.

Brent

Brent_S

Second Unit
P.S. - If you decide to order from Crutchfield, try to insist on double boxing. Of my 3 pairs, 2 came double boxed and one didn't. I'll give you a hint...there's now a single pair of cherry finish RTi38s listed in their scratch-n-dent area. They didn't double box the replacement set either, but they arrived in tact. At least the exchange was no hassle.

Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks