What's new

Tripping the Rift - starts March 4th on Sci-Fi (1 Viewer)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I just saw a commercial for it. It's about time.

For those who don't know about it, a few years ago Sci-Fi showed a short film of Tripping the Rift and there's been talk of a series for some time now. I've really been looking forward to it because the short was great. It's a bizarre animated sci-fi comedy about a small group of traders on a space ship. Stephen Root does the voice of the main character (or at least he did in the short, the commercial didn't sound like him but IMDB lists him in it).

James T

Screenwriter
I saw a ten minute movie(I guess the pre-series stuff) that had Darth Clown in it. It's pretty funny stuff. It's kinda hard to describe to friends as it's really a show you have to watch to appreciate.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm intrigued by an animated sci/fi comedy, but the commercial showing currently looks pretty bad. I always assume that previews show the funniest part of a show; I hope that's not correct for this show.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
The original short was pretty funny, but I agree the commercials they've been showing are pretty bad. I hope the show is better.

Also, I wish SciFi would bring back "Exposure;" I really enjoyed seeing the short films they would present.

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator
I think Tripping the Rift is gonna be really good. I loved the web short, and I can't imagine thsat they would stray too far from it in making a show. I can't wait to see what they came up with.

Seth G

Stunt Coordinator
I don't want to ruin it for everyone, but just don't get your hopes up. Those responsible for the origial hilarious 5 minute short are not involved at all with the show on Sci-Fi. Basically, Sci-Fi just bought the rights to the show and kicked the creators to the curb. You can read about it here in a blog from one of the original creators, Chris Moeller:

*WARNING: Content on this website is not workplace appropriate. This particular link is safe, just don't go wondering too far.

http://www.darkbunny.com/2002_11_01_blogarchive.html

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator
I still think the show looks hilarious. I just hope that they keep the original premise and keep it nasty but within the boundaries of tv. Doesn't the show premiere this week?

Seth G

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to bump this thread to remind everyone Tripping the Rift premieres tonight. I guess we'll find out soon enough how the lose of Chris and Chuck (the original TTR creators) will affect the show. But the good news is Stephen Root (the original voice of Chode) will reprise his role. I heard Stephen Root doing an interview on Bob & Tom this morning to plug the show. Although they spent more time talking about Office Space, it's still good to see some publicity going out there.

And now to reminisce with some obligatory classic TTR quotes:

"You mean to tell me with all the crap that's broken on this ship, you start with the f'ing ice machine!"

"Darph Bobo! Huh, I thought I smelled vasoline."

"Hey! Why don't you fight without using your f'ing clown powers?"

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator
Did the creators of the show have something to do with Futurama? I heard this somewhere but don't really have a clue. I am definitely gonna be watching the show tonight. See people on here tomorrow.

Seth G

Stunt Coordinator
The original creators of TTR were Chuck Austin & Chris Moeller. I know they've spent some time on King of the Hill, however I don't believe they have ever worked on Futurama. But of course, I could be wrong.

Seth G

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, was that disappointing. I don't know what everyone else thought, but I was really bummed. On the upside, it can't get much worse.

Biggest complaints:

1) What did they do to Gus?! He was my favorite character from the 5 minute short and they totally changed his character. This is probably the thing that bothered me the most.

2) So many characters, yet nobody to stand up to Chode. Once again, this goes along with the changes made to Gus. All the characters in the short would stand toe-to-toe with Chode, but everyone seems to back down to Chode in this show.

3) I miss Gus! "It makes ice cubes." :)

Promising moments:

1) The agoraphobic shipboard computer. Kinda funny. Reminded me a lot of Eddie from Hitchhiker's Guide.

2) They've still got Stephen Root, so there's still hope.

3) Some decent one-liners. "Liquor!"

4) It's still early. I'm sure the characters can and will change.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, I was on guard when I saw Chuck Austen listed as a creator - he's done a metric ton of comics over the past few years and been all over the map, but seldom been mediocre ("Superman: Birthright" was fantastic, his first run on "Exiles" was terrible, and people say nasty things about him on "Uncanny X-Men"). Not that he's involved now, just that it got my radar up.

A laughed a few times, though considering the sheer amount of stuff in it, not as much as I probably should have. There's potential there, but an "origin" episode might have been useful; I don't know how many people watching this have seen the original short(s) - I haven't, and even though the characters are pretty straightforward, I felt like I was expected to know more about them (especially Chode) than I did.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
It wasn't great, but it has potential. I like how un-PC it was. The religious jokes I found funny, as well as the sex related stuff. Hopefully all the characters will get a little more developed in the next few episodes.

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator
I watched it, having never heard of the 5 minute short other then this forum. I agree that it did seem like an odd first episode, but I still found it entertaining. It wasn't great, but there was a few moments where I laughed out loud. (i.e. When they ran over God.)

I'll probably give it another shot...

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Gee, I wonder how long it took them to make up all those clever sexual innunendos and blatant sex jokes that filled this show?

It was a well-animated show but ultimately ruined (for me anyway) by the crude & cheap humor more suited to an X-rated Beavis & Butthead episode.

And I'm haven't been to church in over twenty years but that scene where God is hit by the spacecraft and blood is spattered on the ports was offensive to me. That wasn't being politically incorrect--that was being just plain insensitive & incredibly tacky.

I hope this garbage is canceled quickly.

LJ

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the episode was pretty funny. I actually laughed out loud a couple times and I don't usually do that. At the same time, I turned away in horror a couple times. I think that they are trying to evoke this reaction though. That would be my guess. Anyways, I liked it, and I'll keep watching.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Saw it last night and not bad, not bad at all. What killed me was when she "Broke" the robot. My guess is the female character is not bad, just drawn that way:D .

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator
I watched again last week and continue to like this show more and more. I just love that the show is so edgy and really makes me both laugh and recoil. It elicits a great variety of reactions from me which I think is what they are shooting for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks