What's new

Tripolymer Foam Insulation Acoustics Question (1 Viewer)

klingenfelter

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith Lingenfelter
I’m going to remove the wall board ceiling in my HT in order to plug gaps the builder left in the sheathing at the outside wall at the ceiling joists of the room. This will require 16” x 12” wood planks or plugs to fill the open gaps (bad air leak). I must insulate this section of wall while I’m at it. I’m thinking of spray in place tripolymer closed cell foam to insulate the outside wall and the ends of the joists. I’m thinking of going ahead and spraying the whole ceiling and outside wall. The vendors of this stuff claim it will stiffen the floor (wall) and “deaden” sound passage. Furthermore they say it will reduce room resonances within the home theater (less wall vibration).

My question:

Does anyone have any experience with this material for acoustic performance or sound deadening? I’m thinking that it will greatly stiffen the ceiling and thus the floor of the rooms above the HT, while it effectively seals the gaps the stupid builder left in the sheathing. Thus I accomplish two things at once. Well insulate and seal the outside wall and joist header. And sound deaden the ceiling.

The Home Theater is about 25 ft. x 33 ft and above it is a den, and kitchen. The den is hardwood floors and the kitchen is tile.

When I play, say, “Master and Commander, the Far Side of the World” on the blue ray player the cannons and other noises get through to the rooms above and one can feel the floor vibrate.

I have a technical background and can understand such information, does anyone know of a web site(s) where these matters are discussed in detail?

Keith Lingenfelter

Jon_B

Screenwriter
As you have probably seen on Holmes on Holmes, it is the absolute best for helping to keep your house warm. As for sound deadening...you would be better off going with regular fiberglass insulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks