What's new

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
If a film is boring, badly acted, ineptly written, etc, I don't care how pretty the photography is. It's still a bad movie and no, I don't care to waste my time watching it. Hateful 8 has nice cinematography but I think it stinks as a movie and don't want to waste my time watching. I absolutely love 3D and have been a 3D fan for 40 years now, but even I know they aren't all good movies and there's quite a few not worth watching at all.

I didn't like this movie at the age of 12--an age I will say that I was more inclined to like this thing. But even at 12 I thought it was a crummy movie. While I'm delighted I finally got to see it the way it was intended, I still maintain that it's a crummy movie. So it will go on the shelf of shame next to The Stewardesses, Comin' At Ya!, The Bubble, The Flesh and Blood Show, and Flesh For Frankenstein as being "Yeah, I saw it in 3D and I still don't like it".

Personally, I like the 3DFA. I'm grateful for everything they've done. I wish them continued success. I will continue to support them. But that doesn't mean that every movie they work on is as good a movie as It Came From Outer Space.

One more thing: none of the Star Wars movies are as bad as this film. None.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
This was the first polarized 3D movie I ever saw, I thought it was a new technology at the time, and afterwards my friend and I both agreed that it was the best movie we had ever seen. Rewatching it last night I’m afraid it can’t be regarded that highly anymore, but still a lot of fun.

Surprised the review didn’t mention the continuous beeping in the background, it was there from beginning to end on the 5.1 track. Will have to check the 2-channel track tonight and also my stereo 2D CED videodisc to see if it is present there, the theater I went to had crappy mono sound and is thankfully gone now.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Checked the 2-channel track (the original mix, as this was never released with a magnetic track) and the beeps are still there. Wonder how that happened? Still need to check my CED.

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Delivery date for me is still 6/1 from Amazon. I guess it's so popular Amazon is having a hard time getting copies. :3dglasses:
I pre-ordered back in early April, then recently got a notice that they were bumping my expected delivery out a month. I gave a call to Amazon, chatted with a rep that I was hoping to have it shipped on the promised date. The next morning I got a notice that the disc shipped. Got it over the weekend.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I pre-ordered back in early April, then recently got a notice that they were bumping my expected delivery out a month. I gave a call to Amazon, chatted with a rep that I was hoping to have it shipped on the promised date. The next morning I got a notice that the disc shipped. Got it over the weekend.

I canceled June 1 delivery from Amazon. Bought it for $10.43 plus shipping from an Amazon retailer on 5/17 and will get it today.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Checked the 2-channel track (the original mix, as this was never released with a magnetic track) and the beeps are still there. Wonder how that happened? Still need to check my CED.
Can you give a time code and description of how often the “beeps” occur?

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
It's a shame some people simply can't enjoy a bad movie. My two favorite movies of all time; Sunset Boulevard and Casablanca, might make one think I would detest movies like Four Crowns. But it's in a special "camp favorites" category like; Plan 9, Have Rocket Will Travel, Hercules Against The Moon Men, Groove Tube, Robot Monster, Dolemite... All gloriously BAD.

C'mon! Who doesn't want to see JAYNE MANSFIELD in, Las Vegas Hillbillies?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's a shame some people simply can't enjoy a bad movie. My two favorite movies of all time; Sunset Boulevard and Casablanca, might make one think I would detest movies like Four Crowns. But it's in a special "camp favorites" category like; Plan 9, Have Rocket Will Travel, Hercules Against The Moon Men, Groove Tube, Robot Monster, Dolemite... All gloriously BAD.

Not all bad or mediocre movies are created equal. ;) I have plenty of such movies in my film collection, but that's film appreciation for you because what I might find entertaining, might not be the case for other people. Also, vice versa. I respect the simple fact that film appreciation is subjective which is why I try not to call out other people for liking or disliking any movie and how they spend their monies on movies. However, I realize I might not be perfect in that regard so I apologize for any prior transgressions in doing so.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I checked my copy last night - the first 10 minutes and the final 20 - and heard no “beeping” whatsoever.

pinknik

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I watched this last night and had a good time. Plenty of unintentional hilarity and it keeps moving along. Good job 3DFA! One tech/budget question: how much more would it have cost to remove the fairly constant spots/dirt in one eye or the other? Just curious, thanks.

One 3-D curmudgeon kinda enjoyed it:

Note he makes the old “anaglyph is the 50s 3-D tech” mistake in his review.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
I watched this last night and had a good time. Plenty of unintentional hilarity and it keeps moving along. Good job 3DFA! One tech/budget question: how much more would it have cost to remove the fairly constant spots/dirt in one eye or the other? Just curious, thanks.

Difficult. Unlike most dirt and scratches, the dirt was on the lens when they photographed the film, so it’s stationary. Removing it would mean either painting it out frame by frame during moving shots, or mapping another part of the frame onto it for stationary. Both of those can introduce artifacts. In any event, a lot of work, and a lot of time and money that wasn’t available.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore

I dig some bad movies like Robot Monster. I dig Robot Monster so much I contributed $200 to it's restoration, that's how much I dig Robot Monster. But do you know how bad a movie has to be for 12 year old me to have hated it? I was much more inclined to like this movie 40 years ago and I didn't. I like it a little better now, but that doesn't say much.

Still, nice restoration. Now, bring on The Diamond Wizard!

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
I dig some bad movies like Robot Monster. I dig Robot Monster so much I contributed $200 to it's restoration, that's how much I dig Robot Monster. But do you know how bad a movie has to be for 12 year old me to have hated it? I was much more inclined to like this movie 40 years ago and I didn't. I like it a little better now, but that doesn't say much.

Still, nice restoration. Now, bring on The Diamond Wizard!
Talk about putting your money on the table.

That is kinda weird. You hated a bad movie then, but like it now. It's like your tastes are devolving. Gotta love it! And, Robert's right. It's subjective. My mom HATED the Three Stooges. My Dad and I LOVED'em.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I loved this one when I saw it theatrically several years ago, and I found more to like on second viewing.

There are some brilliant 3-D moments in this, and that's definitely a highlight, but there's also a lot of bad 3-D. A lot of good examples of what works and what doesn't, if you're interested in these things.

It's rough around the edges, it's not a polished effort, in some respects poor choices seem to have been made, and there are a number of moments where I really wish I knew what they were thinking. I find it entertaining, and there's a lot I appreciate about it. It's a weird movie.

For myself, 3-D presentation of a mediocre movie doesn’t appeal to me any longer.

For me 3-D is a hook, in the same way I might be interested in a movie because of an actor, a director, a plot setup, a setting, or even just good reviews. Any one of these on its own probably isn't enough to make me enthusiastic about seeing a movie, but the more of these that appeal to me in combination, the more I become interested.

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
The earlier parts of this film had some pretty bad chromatic aberration issues, but I have to admit that there were a few scenes that actually made me react physically, which is something I can't remember ever doing before viewing a movie.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
What does Kino have against the rest of the world? They never seem to release region-free Blu-Rays. What have we done to upset them?
I know region-free players are available but that's not the point. Most contemporary 3D Blu-rays appeat to be region-free so what's the problem with the older movies?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What does Kino have against the rest of the world? They never seem to release region-free Blu-Rays. What have we done to upset them?
I know region-free players are available but that's not the point. Most contemporary 3D Blu-rays appeat to be region-free so what's the problem with the older movies?
It's not just Kino, but the studios have final say on rights negotiations such as other regions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks