What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
If you’re looking for an entertaining avalanche of 3D effects, stop your search with Ferdinando Baldi’s Treasure of the Four Crowns, a fairly feeble adventure film but one rich in thrilling and imaginative three-dimensional photography.

Treasure of the Four Crowns (1983)

Released: 21 Jan 1983
Rated: PG
Runtime: 97 min

Director: Ferdinando Baldi
Genre: Adventure, Fantasy

Cast: Tony Anthony, Ana Obregón, Gene Quintano
Writer(s): Lloyd Battista, Jim Bryce, Jerry Lazarus

Plot: A group of adventurers are gathered together to retrieve some mystical gems which are in the possession of a deadly cult.

IMDB rating: 4.1
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: MGM
Distributed By: Kino Lorber
Video...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
For myself, 3-D presentation of a mediocre movie doesn’t appeal to me any longer. Anyhow, thanks for the review for those that are looking forward to this movie.
Oh Robert, the movie's not that bad... and the 3D effects make it a hoot!

Even A*P*E was transformed into a fun watch thanks to the 3D restoration. (In that case 3DFA may have achieved the minor miracle of actually polishing a turd...) :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Oh Robert, the movie's not that bad... and the 3D effects make it a hoot!

Even A*P*E was transformed into a fun watch thanks to the 3D restoration. (In that case 3DFA may have achieved the minor miracle of actually polishing a turd...) :)
A 3-D presentation of a mediocre or bad movie doesn't make that movie more palatable to my film taste. If it does for you and others then I'm happy for you.

MikeDE

Second Unit
A 3D pop out dream of a disc. This Blu-ray is better than when I saw it in a theater years ago. It’s not perfect, and the story is silly, but what a fun example of 80's 3D.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Delivery date for me is still 6/1 from Amazon. I guess it's so popular Amazon is having a hard time getting copies. :3dglasses:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I ordered from Kino yesterday and got my shipping notice today. Great service!

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Placing my order and looking forward to it. For those who aren’t fans of mediocre 3D films there are no alternatives as basically the entire catalogue has been released. Same for Cinerama films. Also many a mediocre film have I watched yet loved the cinematography. To each his own- that’s my philosophy.

Last edited:

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
There are more great 3D moments than there are great 3D movies—and Treasure has a lot of great 3D moments. (In 2D the whole “heist” business, with rope, winches, and pulleys, would be exhausting, but in 3D it’s riveting, three-dimensional Topkapi.) It’s a lot better than the preceding Comin’ At Ya (if hardly “good” in a conventional sense) and a pleasingly typical Cannon film of its era, with sufficient bonkers scenes up through the final “huh?” shot. So not for everyone but for me a lot easier sit than, say, The Stewardesses or Those Redheads from Seattle. (And yes I did see it theatrically, at age 17.)

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
I've got a 35mm 3D print of this title.
It's a bit on the rough side toward the end of the movie but it is fun to watch.
Haven't seen the Blu Ray but it's got to be miles ahead of my print. If I have a 35mm print I try not to invest in a BD of the same title. It just depends on how rough the film condition is. Some of the 80's 3D prints are in rough condition.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Which is EXACTLY what HE said and you gave him a red thumbs down for it. :rolleyes:
Except that’s NOT what he SAID - he SAID he won’t watch mediocre films with 3D (hence the thumbs down) and I said I’ve watched MANY a mediocre film with great cinematography. I don’t judge. READ.
And as I’ve heard over and over on here- Why even comment on something you haven’t seen?

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Which is EXACTLY what HE said and you gave him a red thumbs down for it. :rolleyes:
Except that’s NOT what he SAID - he SAID he won’t watch mediocre films with 3D (hence the thumbs down) and I said I’ve watched MANY a mediocre film with great cinematography. I don’t judge. READ.
And as I’ve heard over and over on here- Why even comment on something you haven’t seen?
Please, move on as it's not worth it, as how I spend my discretionary monies is my choice and the same applies to how you spend your monies.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
I watched this movie last weekend for the first time in 39 years. I didn't like it then and am not crazy about it now. The 3D is good, the movie is not. The 3DFA did a great job restoring it and I'm glad I got to see it in 3D, but I'm good.

But I always find it interesting that people want to tell you how to feel about something. Good cinematography or good 3D do not make a bad movie watchable. I understand what Robert is saying about not wanting to buy this. The 3DFA is working on Prison Girls, a movie I have no desire to own or see. IF I buy it, it will be to support the 3DFA. But IF I buy it, I won't be watching it. I'm 51 now and I don't care to spend hours of my life watching something I know I won't like. I think Robert is saying the same thing and I fully respect that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks