What's new

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
What does Kino have against the rest of the world? They never seem to release region-free Blu-Rays. What have we done to upset them?
I know region-free players are available but that's not the point. Most contemporary 3D Blu-rays appeat to be region-free so what's the problem with the older movies?

When a studio releases the disc themselves (which is generally the case with new releases), they will often leave it region-free. It makes their life easier, because the same disc will often be just repackaged from one region to the next. Sometimes these discs have 20 different languages on them.

When a studio licenses a film to a label like Kino, they typically license rights for just one region, thus region locking. It's not just Kino, look at any UK label that licenses films and see how many of them are region-locked.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When a studio licenses a film to a label like Kino, they typically license rights for just one region, thus region locking. It's not just Kino, look at any UK label that licenses films and see how many of them are region-locked.
And, that's the main reason why I have region-free players because when I import discs, they're mainly region locked and majority of them come from UK companies.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
There's just no good reason NOT to be these days. It's not expensive (other than the new slate of discs that become available, that is)

Right!

Most of us learned early on that region-free players were an absolute necessity if we were serious about collecting and obtaining titles that were not available domestically.

Fortunately, many of the top Blu-ray players were easily modified with an $80 kit. My Oppo, for instance, is modified.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
There's just no good reason NOT to be these days. It's not expensive (other than the new slate of discs that become available, that is)
I bought my first region free DVD player in 2007 so I could mine the great British comedy releases, such as the Carry On series, Norman Wisdom comedies, Will Hay comedies, Ghost Train and many others. My region free Blu-ray still gets a great work out.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I bought my first region free DVD player in 2007 so I could mine the great British comedy releases, such as the Carry On series, Norman Wisdom comedies, Will Hay comedies, Ghost Train and many others. My region free Blu-ray still gets a great work out.

I was able to get a Sony region free 4K player (a modified x700) that was more expensive than if it hadn't been region free but not prohibitively so. I know I don't need it for 4K releases, but it's great for my region locked blus (with the touch of a button!) and they're readily available.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
What does Kino have against the rest of the world? They never seem to release region-free Blu-Rays. What have we done to upset them?
I know region-free players are available but that's not the point. Most contemporary 3D Blu-rays appeat to be region-free so what's the problem with the older movies?

I would add to the other points that although I deplore the practice of region-locking, that battle is lost. It is what it is. But if you haven't gone multi-region at this point, you're missing out.

The only alternative is hope and pray that one of the region B labels will license the title you want to see. You can beg them if you want. In the case of Kino's 3-D Film Archive titles, as far as I'm aware that has only happened once, when a German label released Gog. Even if a title is licensed, there's no guarantee they will include the 3-D version.

I'd rather not be in that position.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I know it’s not my place to spend other people’s money (unless they ask!) but I think a region free player is a valuable investment for anyone in this collecting hobby. Speaking just for HTF people and similar enthusiasts, we’re not like the general public. A lot of us have spent thousands of dollars on discs over the years and most of us are looking at audio and visual equipment that costs thousands of dollars in total compared to the hundreds the average consumer spends.

In proportion to all of that, spending an extra $100 or so for a region free player feels almost insignificant relative to the other costs we’ve already borne. For the cost of maybe four or five new discs, you can gain the ability to play anything from anywhere in the world. I don’t have to use my region free capability often, but having that capability adds a lot of value and flexibility to my setup.

I think it’s human nature to look at the cost of adding an extra player as an isolated event and say “why should I bother” but when you look at that spending in context with the rest of your home entertainment spending, it winds up being an insignificant blip on the radar most of the time.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I started watching this last night and turned it off after 45 minutes. The opening sequence looked like it was shot in an abandoned shack they found on the side of the road. The acting and costumes were horrible. The plot made little sense.

But then this morning I decided to finish it, and it's like the second half of the movie was directed by someone else. Starting with the scene where they planned the heist with the miniatures there were some really clever shots and prop placements and great low angles emphasizing depth and pop out.

The following heist looked great in 3d and the set was an actual castle/church and looked great. The acting improved. And while the plot was still a little weird it moved along briskly. And parts of it even fell into the so bad it's good category for me, especially the ridiculous climax.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Oddly it's the smaller titles these days that get region locked more than the big movies, which tend to get released the same time worldwide now (they used to have staggered releases in other countries, which is why region coding existed in the first place.) Kino usually gets the rights to a movie just for the US and Canada, nowhere else, so they have to region lock as part of the licensing contract. But thankfully, there are players that can get around that.

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
I was aware of the licensing arrangements which answers some questions, but also brings about a few more in this particular case. Correct me if I'm wrong: The original digital 3D blu-ray release of The Mad Magician (Vincent Price) was through Twilight Time (U.S.) - dubbed at an incorrect 1.78:1. Then, a few years later it was released again, this time across the pond from Indicator / Powerhouse Films (UK) with a correct 1.85:1 aspect ratio, and slightly superior HD presentation, and it was all region, limited to 3000 units. I think the Twilight Time release was all region, but not sure. If that's the case, I'm curious as-to why there was no region lock yet separate licensing agreements, why the different aspect ratio, and why (apparently) there is a noticeable upgrade with the Powerhouse release. I haven't seen nor own the Twilight Time version but do have the Powerhouse and it's excellent. I sure wish Man In The Dark got another release.

Last edited:

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I was aware of the licensing arrangements which answers some questions, but also brings about a few more in this particular case. Correct me if I'm wrong: The original digital 3D blu-ray release of The Mad Magician (Vincent Price) was through Twilight Time (U.S.) - dubbed at an incorrect 1.78:1. Then, a few years later it was released again, this time across the pond from Indicator / Powerhouse Films (UK) with a correct 1.85:1 aspect ratio, and slightly superior HD presentation, and it was all region, limited to 3000 units. I think the Twilight Time release was all region, but not sure. If that's the case, I'm curious as-to why there was no region lock yet separate licensing agreements, why the different aspect ratio, and why (apparently) there is a noticeable upgrade with the Powerhouse release. I haven't seen nor own the Twilight Time version but do have the Powerhouse and it's excellent. I sure wish Man In The Dark got another release.
Columbia titles used to get region-free licensing but in recent years Sony has fallen in line with other studios and discs have been region-locked. You can see this with Indicator releases.

I thought Indicator might include Man in the Dark in one of their ongoing Columbia Noir boxsets, but so far that hasn't happened. Of course it would most likely be region-locked, like their previous sets.

Kino recently did a deal with Sony and are rereleasing The Mad Magician, hopefully this will open the door to other Columbia 3-D titles. Unfortunately some of the more interesting titles are currently under license to Mill Creek.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Correct me if I'm wrong: The original digital 3D blu-ray release of The Mad Magician (Vincent Price) was through Twilight Time (U.S.) - dubbed at an incorrect 1.78:1. Then, a few years later it was released again, this time across the pond from Indicator / Powerhouse Films (UK) with a correct 1.85:1 aspect ratio, and slightly superior HD presentation, and it was all region, limited to 3000 units.

The difference beween 1.78:1 and 1.85:1 is so small that I hesitate to call opening the mattes a tiny sliver "incorrect." For many years, Warner and Paramount did that as a matter of policy to all 1.85:1 movies.

I think the Twilight Time release was all region, but not sure. If that's the case, I'm curious as-to why there was no region lock yet separate licensing agreements, why the different aspect ratio, and why (apparently) there is a noticeable upgrade with the Powerhouse release.

I can't speak to the region locking, but the different aspect ratio and better picture quality are likely just a factor of Indicator putting in the effort to remaster the movie rather than use an older master supplied by the rights-holder (which is what Twilight Time must have done).

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
One of the major British pastimes is being bloody-minded; the other is moaning about the weather (and to be honest, just about everything else).:)

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
One watches this only because it's 3D and it works great for the most part. The story is ludicrous but it's fun in 3D as intended. Throw everything at the camera -- thats why we watch 3D!
But nobody mentions that Ennio Morricone did the very cool soundtrack? That's a bonus!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks