What's new

Toshiba HD-A1 HDMI->DVI Video Conversion - Any Issues? (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Hello all. I'm considering dipping my toe into the Toshiba HD-A1 pool. Question:

My CRT RPTV (Hitachi 57SXW20B) has a HDCP compliant DVI input but no HDMI input. Are there any known video issues such as black level clipping with this player when using a HDMI->DVI cable/converter? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Stevepro1

Grip
Real Name
Steve
I have had no problems. My HD-A1 is connected to my Toshibe 42XHD82 by a 3 meter HDMI with a DVI adaptor. The HD-A1 recognized it the tv immediatly. Make sure the tv is turned on FIRSTand is set to DVI or you will get an HDMI Error 1 on the DVD player. This happens to me occasionally when my Longitech Harmony 660 Universal Remote screws up.

Steve

Stevepro1

Grip
Real Name
Steve
Afterthought: The picture is VERY sharp, even given the length of the cable, and the blacks are solid. Steve

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I'm using a HDMI-DVI cable as well and the picture looks amazing. My HD-A1 doesn't pass BTB through the HDMI output though (firmware ver. 1.4). With my original ISF settings, the brightness was too low and had to be raised; once that was done everything looks great. Another odd thing, when I use a HDMI-HDMI cable the A1 passes the incorrect color space (or my display request the wrong one, not sure which) but, when using the HDMI-DVI cable the correct color space is passed through. Using DVI, colors were dead on and no adjustments were needed from my original ISF settings (except brightness). The component input is the only one that passes BTB but I didn't want to use it b/c you can't up convert SD DVDs plus, the image looks ever-so-slightly sharper through the DVI input. Just be aware that black level clipping is an issue with this player for most people but hopefully Toshiba will fix this with an firmware update soon.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Chris, it's interesting that you get the correct color space through the DVI input and not directly with HDMI, as supposedly there is a colorspace "bug" that affects the DVI input slightly. I've also had the player connected with DVI, and the colors look spot on to me via DVE and AVIA.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for the feedback everyone. After further digging it seems that there is a colorspace issue when going HDMI->DVI with this player, but it only affects HD-DVD video output, not SD DVD. That would explain why you're not seeing anything amiss with AVIA or DVE.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, but HD DVD's look great on my setup, too. I checked the player via component, and even though that has the correct colorspace, there was really no difference to my eyes. Probably because I don't have a "reference" system, just a good "bang for the buck" rig.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I may be completely wrong but, wouldn't SD DVDs need to use the correct HDTV color space when being up converted to HD resolutions? I would think that if you are viewing DVDs in 1080i, it would use the same color space as HD-DVDs at 1080i (again I could be completely wrong on this).

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
Doug, I own the same Hitachi Projection set (Hitachi 57SWX20B) and the Toshiba HD A1 has delivered incredible color reproduction, truer greens and more solid blacks than I experienced on the set previously. When played on my Pioneer Elite DV C-36, some DVDs (Ride With the Devil in particular) had scenes with lots of foliage that tended to look lime green and not very natural. I was told it was actually a problem with the Hitachi sets. The Toshiba HD A1 is connected via HDMI - DVI cable. I have had only one glitch on a disc and have not been able to reproduce the problem. I am running firmware update 1.3 (shipped) and couldn't be happier with the visual and sound quality so far. Make your purchase.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I agree! I hope my comments above were not taken as being unhappy with my HD-A1. I think it is a great player and I have zero regrets about buying it.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I guess I should have searched a little better as I posted a question about this in the FAQ thread.

Anyway, so is the colorspace issue noticeable or not? I have the Samsung H710-AE projector which only has DVI, not HDMI and I just ordered my HDMI-->DVI cable to watch my SD-DVDs upconverted. Did I waste my money, and/or is this colorspace thing correctable with firmware? Is this for sure a problem with the Toshiba or the display device? And does this affect only HD-DVDs or also SD-DVDs?

Thanks for any clarification guys,
George

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
George, I don't notice the colorspace issue at all via DVI. How noticable it is may depend upon the monitor.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm also using a HDMI->DVI adapter and the colorspace problem is not noticable on my display. I've gone back and forth between HDMI and component 1080i output with several HD-DVD titles and cannot spot it. That being said, rumor has it that the issue will be corrected in the v2.0 firmware which is rumored to be released by Toshiba tomorrow. The update is ALSO rumored to enable full Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel support.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Larry and Doug,

Thanks for the replies, I feel better. And I really like the idea of having 5.1 TrueHD enabled if true.

Thanks,
George

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks