What's new

Toshiba 65HX83 Upgrade? (1 Viewer)

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
2 years ago I was trying to figure out what kind of widescreen RPTV to purchase, so I took the advice of MANY users and bought a Toshiba 50H81. This set has worked out GREAT and I've never had a moment's regret I got this set. Thanks to everyone for pointing me towards this RPTV!

I've moved into a new house and have a much bigger room in which to set up my HT. I'm thinking if I was happy with the 50H81, I should also be happy with the 65HX83...is this right or is my thinking faulty? Note that I'm going for the 'X' model this time because there is a little light in the new HT and I don't want to be troubled with reflections.

TIA, Bill

MatthewW

Auditioning
I use to own a Toshiba 61H80 4:3 set and recently upgraded to a 57HX83. I enjoyed my old set and I am loving my new set even more. PQ is much improved for DVD's since I can now watch them in full anamorphic resolution. HDTV material is stunning especially the Oscars tonight. I had this set for almost 2 months and have not had any problems whatsoever as of yet. I didn't notice the 'white line' problem yet and I am not trying to look for it either :D . The only thing that bothers me is the 'anti-glare' screen there is some minor glare with the lights on but I watch movies usually with the lights off or dim so it is not really an issue. Another thing is if you are watching old SD signals like non-digital cable which I still have the quality isn't quite up to snuff, it is quite bad I must say but watchable however I didn't buy this set for that I bought it for DVD's and HDTV. Good luck in your decision.

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the good information Matt. It sounds as if you feel that I'd be satisfied with upgrading to the 65HX83, although one thing wasn't clear:

I also noticed the SD quality wasn't good on my old 50" set, but found that it was acceptable in most cases. I'm hoping that the 65" screen doesn't make this problem worse.

Anyway, thanks again - thanks to you and other posts I've read in this forum, I'm feeling that my decision to stay with Toshiba is the right one!

- Bill

MatthewW

Auditioning
Bill let me clarify, my old set the 61H80 didn't have a protective screen on it so I am used to not having one. So when I received the new set the protective screen was very noticeable however it is not that big of a deal to me anymore I have gotten use to it. If you have a protective screen on your old set I am sure this one is much better. I did not have a chance to look at the H83 models so I don't know the differences between the screens on the HX83 and H83 but I have read that the HX83 have less glare.

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Bill

I just got my 65HX83 about 3 weeks ago, so far I really have enjoyed the set. I do not have HDTV, but for progressive scan DVD, the picture is really good. One thing I have noticed is the volume for TV is quite low, I have to turn it up to about 40 to watch a regular TV Show.

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
Conn's has an awesome deal on a Toshiba 57HX93 running. $2299.97 and 12 months no interest, you gotta ask for the 12 months, though. I just bought one today:D

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the tip David, but you're a tad late. I just ordered a 65HX83 from OneCall @ $2,519 shipped to Arizona. Financing wasn't needed, so the 12 months without interest wasn't a factor.

I think I got a good price and I know I'm dealing with a quality Internet seller, so I think I've done OK . . . what do you think?

- Bill

DaveMart

Auditioning
Bill,

You will be happy with Onecall. I just got my 65HX93 delivered today. It arrived in perfect codition, not a scratch on the box. It looked like it just came out of the factory (or off the boat at least ;) ). Now to hire a computer programmer and get that bad boy set up (it's not really that bad, but the manual is overwhelming at first). It is one BIG TV. It took three of us to wheel it on a dolly around to the back of my walkout basement and get it inside. Thank God that thing is on wheels once you get it inside. I can't wait to get it all set up.

Now if I just had better speakers....(damn this hobby)

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator

Wait until you try to do your own 56-point convergence. It took me about 3 tries before I felt I understood what I was doing, but now I routinely do the job every 3 months just to keep the picture sharp!

Good luck with the new RPTV Dave!

- Bill

PierreAC

Auditioning
Bought my 46HX83 in November past.....

I looooooove my Set, very glad I paid the little extra for the X in the name..... (as there is only one place to put a t.v. in the living room, and it's opposite the windows.....) They have a very good anti-glare screen.

As much as you enjoyed your old set, the new one will give you even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks