What's new

Toshiba 57-inch 57HCX82 LCOS 16:9 RPTV at CES:has anyone seen it??? (1 Viewer)

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
Found this over at twice
http://www.tvinsite.com/twice/index....y=breakingNews
An operating model of the 57-inch Cinema Series 57HCX82 HD LCoS TV was on display and a company spokesman said Toshiba expects it to start shipping by the fall with a suggested retail price below $10,000. The model uses a three-chip LCoS and has higher resolution capabilities than conventional LCD projection models. In addition, the technology allows for the TV to be thinner, about 17 inches, and lighter, about 130 pounds.
Has anyone seen this set??

Sawyer

Auditioning
Kelly:

The Toshiba 57HLX82 (enlarged ) was at the CEA's 2002 CES displaying their current LCoS' chipset resolution of 1280 x 720p on the prototype. This HDTV was slated to go up against TI's DLP RPTVs and other purely digital LCoS PRTVs such as Huxian's which all will resolve 1280 x 720p natively.

BUT, Toshiba has stepped up to plate and plans to knock the ball out of the park with the ACTUAL 57HLX82 that will ship in the '4th quarter' of 2002.

Gary Merson researched this unit for his article in the May/June The Perfect Vison where on page 32, he states "unlike the 720p prototype set shown at Toshiba's booth, the production model will feature a three-chip LCoS engine with a matrix of 1920 x 1080, providing the first fixed panel display with 1080p native resoltion."

So, widescreen 1080p it is. We have been having this discussion on a thread at the AV Science forum about 1080p and the other smaller 16:9 monitors that will resolve 1920 x 1080p currently.

But the Toshiba will blow away every 16:9 Widescreen RP HDTV out there this fall.

Hitachi apparantly is making a counterpart to the 57HLX82 called the 57HCX82 which was recently mentioned at DTVMax:

"Hitachi was also displaying a model 57HCX82 LCoS based 57 inch rear HDTV projector that is planned for a fall 2002 introduction."

If you read between the lines, Hitachi will probably be using the same chip that is in their current LCoS Front Projector mentioned in their website.

So the skinny is that the next generation of HDTVs are about to launch.

Watching TRUE high def in 1920 x 1080p at 60Hz will rock. The beauty is that you can also surf the web widescreen in 1920 x 1080 at 72Hz as well, with no burn-in. Can't wait.

cc: Mark Frab

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
This set sounds liek a real winner. I cannot wait until it comes out. Are there any specs on it yet? I am wondering how many component video inputs it will have. At lest 3 you would think.

Mr. Brian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
This is supposed to be available soon if not now. Has anyone seen this or heard anything. It looks like a great set.

Brian

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Do you guys know the pricing of these sets are all of you just "rich"? Las tI read LCOS sets are going to be 10K?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Jan, you forgot the bathroom. :)
Looks like a great set, but I'm still skeptical about LCD, the ones I've seen really have been way too inferior to CRT. Given that it's only 17" thin, this would be a great TV for my room, though, hopefully the technology is better now...

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Availability is supposed to be early November and suggested Canadian retail is targetted at $14,000.

Expensive, but wayyyyy less than a 50" Hi-Def plasma display.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
What is the black level like on it, I wonder, compared to something like the Sony Grand Wega. 1080p is very nice.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
What is the black level like on it, I wonder, compared to something like the Sony Grand Wega. 1080p is very nice.
Well, the original KF-60DX100 Grand WEGA had a measured contrast ratio of about 267:1 on their standard 2.8 gain screen. Though I have yet to hear of anyone measuring the new KF-60XBR800 Grand WEGA's contrast ratio, Sony does boast a 25% improvement on contrast level, putting it somwhere around 334:1.

I would hazard to guess the 57HLX82 will blow that number out of the water.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
No, I'm not rich but I will be eating macaroni & cheese for the next six months so I can buy this! It looks great. Does anyone know if they will be making a bigger set? Say a 64 inch one? That is what I have now and do not want a smaller picture.

Rick Faldo

Stunt Coordinator
I called Toshiba Canada awhile back to ask when they expect this unit to be available in Canada. Their reply was not in the immediate future, likely not until next year sometime. When asked about the U.S. release in 4th quarter 2002, I was told Toshiba has kind of a "fiscal type quarter system" meaning 4th quarter might be early 2003. Sounded kind of weird to me but that's what I was told. So, hold on to your horses by the sounds of things.

Can't wait to see it!

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks