Toshiba 57hl83 LCOS RPTV???

Discussion in 'Displays' started by David Parrish, Jan 25, 2004.

1. David Parrish

David Parrish Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for info on this one. I've found it online for $4,200 shipped w/ 5 yr warranty.

Does anyone know why Toshiba stopped shipment? And if this deal is for real, what problems might I have if I order the set?

From what I have read this is the absolute perfect TV for my room. I really hope this deal is on the up and up.

For those who are not familiar, this is a three-chip LCOS RPTV. It has true 1080P resolution.

2. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Don't do it.

Toshiba quit on LCoS because it currently is unstable, and their supplier I believe couldn't produce the volume (and quality) of LCoS parts needed. Check out avsforum.com, there are (were) a lot of LCoS owners.

IIRC, there are problems with image ghosting or "racetracking" on warm sets. Toshiba quit on LCoS for a reason, and the last thing that I'd want is to be stuck with a $4200 white elephant (keep in mind that parts will be increasingly hard to find).

3. David Parrish

I just called the site that had the Toshiba for sale. They don't have it in and it appears they never will.

They said Toshiba never made the 57HL83. Bummer[​IMG]

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

5. David Parrish

I'm getting frustrated. The Feb. issue of Home Theater Mag that just hit the stands gave this TV a GLOWING review and a score of 99!!!

Why can't anything in the RPTV world ever fully deliver?[​IMG]