What's new

KP-46WT500 - New Sony 46" RPTV...thoughts? (1 Viewer)

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator
This looks interesting to me, considering the space requirements I need to work around for an RPTV purchase. The search tool indicates no-one has discussed this particular model before, so I was wondering what people thought of this TV based upon its specs and feature-set.
I'm looking for an excellent picture for 40%cable, 40%DVD and 20% Xbox (DVD gets priority). I'll be sitting about 8' away.
...any thoughts on how well this TV would meet those requirements?
(The following is from the Sony Canada site, here:)
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SONY OF CANADA UNVEILS FIRST 46-INCH WiIDESCREEN HI-SCAN PROJECTION TV
Hi-Scan 1080i™ rear-projection television line expanded with new KP-46WT500 model
TORONTO - (COMDEX Canada 2002) - August 16, 2002
Sony of Canada Ltd. continues to broaden its line of Hi-Scan 1080i™ rear-projection televisions with the introduction of a 46-inch widescreen model. The new KP-46WT500, Sony's first 46-inch rear projection television, combines technical and design enhancements to deliver a crisp, brilliant picture in a thin bezel tabletop design.
The new TV is equipped with many of the high-performance features available on Sony's WS- and WV-series models, including the Hi-Scan 1080i™ chassis, an integrated Digital Visual Interface (DVI-HDTV) connection, DRC™ MultiFunction circuitry, an HD MicroFocus™ CRT, HD Detailer™ wideband video amplifier, MID™-X circuitry and SRS TruSurround™ sound.
"Sony offers the widest variety of 16:9 rear projection televisions in the industry," said Andrew Dorcas, Senior TV Product Manager, Sony of Canada Ltd. "The new KP-46WT500 model is the most compact widescreen size among our rear-projection sets, yet it still features the same innovative functionality that results in brilliant images and a rich home theatre experience."
Sporting a unique, new design and equipped with Sony's exclusive video technologies, the KP-46WT500 model is a terrific solution for home theatre enthusiasts who enjoy the rear-projection viewing experience, but don't have the space for the larger 57-or 65-inch sets. Sony's new TV incorporates a Digital Visual Interface (DVI-HDTV) connection that enables copy-protected, high-definition video content from a DVI/HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) compatible set-top box.
The KP-46WT500 also features a number of proprietary innovations found in other models in Sony's 2002 rear-projection line, including:
HD MicroFocus™ CRT with its increased beam strength and 30-percent smaller spot size than conventional CRTs, resulting in a brighter and sharper image
HD MicroFocus lens system provides clearer focus, resulting in breathtaking picture quality.
In addition, the new model includes such outstanding performance features as Digital Reality Creation Multifunction™ circuitry, CineMotion™ reverse 3:2 pulldown circuitry for superior film-based video source display, Multi-Image Driver-X with Scrolling Channel Index™ system and Flexible Twin-View™ 2-tuner picture-and-picture. Also equipped with two HD component video inputs (Y/PB/PR) and a DVI-HDTV connection, the KP-46HT500 offers the highest quality connections to DVD players and optimizes performance with HD receiver/decoders.
Pricing and Availability
The new 46-inch KP-46WT500 model will be available nation-wide in November through authorized Sony retailers and the Sony store/Maison Sony retail chain for $2,999 (MSRP). An optional stand, the SU-46WT, will also be available for $329 (MSRP).
Specs from OneCall.com:
46” Screen size, diagonal
16:9 Screen Aspect Ratio
Hi-Scan 1080i™ Display
HD Detailer™ Wideband Video Amplifier
HD MICROFOCUS™ picture tubes
HD MICROFOCUS™ lenses
High contrast protective screen
Auto Wide & Widescreen Modes
Freeze Memo
2 HD capable component video inputs (Y/PB/PR)
S-Video inputs (rear/front) 2/1
Composite inputs (rear/front) 3/1
DVI-HDTV Interface
Dimensions approx. (W x H x D) 42.8” x 40.2” x 24” (1086 x 1020 x 609 mm)
Weight approx.143 lbs. (65 kg)
Audio/Video Features
DRC™ MultiFunction Circuitry (960i, 480i)
CineMotion™ Reverse 3-2 PullDown Technology
MID™(Multi Image Driver-X)
Auto SAP
Auto Mute (Tuner)
DAC Speaker System (20W x 2)
Simulated Surround Sound
TruSurround™ SRS 3D Audio Effect
Steady Sound® Auto Volume Control with BBE
Fixed/Variable Audio Out
Speakers On/Off
Energy Star® Compliant
Twin-View™ Two Tuner Picture-and-Picture
Picture Freeze
Channel Jump
Auto Wide/Wide Screen Mode
XDS Banner
Flash Focus® Digital Convergence
3D Digital Comb Filter
First Surface Mirror
High Contrast Lenticular Screen
Fine Pitch Fresnel Screen
Built-in High Contrast Protective Screen
Auto Pedestal Clamp
Auto White Balance
Dynamic Focus™ Circuitry
Dynamic Picture™ Processor Circuitry
Trinitone® Color Temperature
Vertical Aperture Compensation
Vertical Center Adjustment
S-Video Detection
Convenience Features
Auto Channel Program
Caption Vision (CC)
Channel Fix
Channel Label
Channel Skip/Add
Clock/Timer (Two Event)
Favorite Channel with Preview
On Screen Display -English/Spanish/French
Program Palette™ Presets
Scrolling Channel Index™
Sleep Timer
Speed Surf™ Channel Selection
V Chip Parental Control
Video Label

Rich Chiavaroli

Stunt Coordinator
I'm waiting for the release of this unit as well, for the same reasons. It looks like it's going to be the biggest RPTV with a stand on the market. There are products that I think have a better picture than then sony 500 series, but unfortunately they don't meet my space requirements.

I'm hoping that the grainyness of the Sony's isn't as noticeable on this smaller model. If the picture quality isn't acceptable, I'll be going with the 43FWX20b instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks