What's new

Toshiba 56" DLP @ Best Buy (1 Viewer)

Clarke33

Auditioning
Real Name
Lindsey Clarke
Hello everyone, I'm a newbie and wanted to ask for some opinions on this TV. Best Buy has the Toshiba 56hm66 56"DLP on sale for $1199.00. I have been wanting to buy a HDTV for some time and this sounds like a sceaming deal. They are also offering 18 month 0% if you use your BB card. What do Ya'll think?
Thanks

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
That TV is fine, as long as you'll be happy with a 720p set (1280x720), as opposed to a more modern 1080p (1920x1080) set.

Clarke33

Auditioning
Real Name
Lindsey Clarke
I don't know much on the subject, but from what I read the difference is negligible. Are there any true 1080p broadcasts anyway?

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
1080P is better to a point but I think it is relative to the distance you are from the screen. If you sit 5 feet from the screen then I think that the difference would be noticeable but at 10 feet> then I think it would be negligible. Beyond just the resolution some of the 1080P sets may offer more bells and whistles but to me 720P at 10 feet is as close to as good as it gets. + I just got a Samsung 5086W for $1199 when all was said and done. $600 cheaper than the lowest price 1080P. You can get some screaming deals on the 720P's now. Unless you are sitting quite close I would go with the 720P. That sounds like a great deal on a 56 inch,

Greg

Clarke33

Auditioning
Real Name
Lindsey Clarke
I measured our viewing distance and it is anywhere from 12 to 15 feet. I went ahead and bought the Toshiba online from BB. It will be delivered Wed. evening. Also, as I stated before, 0% for 18 mos. is pretty much icing on the cake.

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
you should be good. I got the 18 month as well. The biggest thing that DLP's have issues with is viewing angle. Not so much left to right, but up and down. I had mine placed too high and it didn't look great. you lose brightness if it is at the wrong height. The middle of the screen should be at eye level. Most stands that are designed for these tv's will work fine. As for the big downside most people talk about Rainbow effect. In my opinion it is a bunch of hooey. I am sure it can exist,but I think it is more prevelent in older DLP's with slower color wheels. I watched sin city and saw none of it. I would warn you to be prepared for poor SD performance (at least relative to HD). When you go to a big tv all of the flaws in in an SD signal are more pronounced. Most SD programs look ok, some very good,and some look bad. If you have cable then there are a good amount of HD channels and they are adding them every day. I am sure you will be pleased with your purchase,

Greg

Clarke33

Auditioning
Real Name
Lindsey Clarke
Best buy called tonight and said we were on for delivery sometime in the morning. As far as the viewing height goes, my old tv stand wasn't large enough for the new DLP. After looking online I ended up ordering the matching Toshiba stand from Amazon.com. The price wasn't bad, $252.00 delivered. I found a couple of other sights that had the stand for a few dollars less but none of them had the stand in stock. The stand should be here in a couple of more days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks