How to pick a new RPTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent Joye, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Brent Joye

Brent Joye Agent

I thought this would be fairly straight forward, but the more research I do, the more confused I get. It seems like everyone here talks most about Toshiba, is there a reason for that? I just saw a Panasonic LCD RPTV at Best Buy that I liked a lot. I'm sure I can't afford DLP. I'd like to stay around $3000 and 46"-56" since my viewing distance will be 10 feet or less. I'll definitely go HDTV 16:9, no question, but aside from that, how do you start to choose? Do I get something with Firewire or DVI, or does it matter? What kind of algorithm do you suggest for narrowing this down? ---Here's the kicker--they all look great to me when they're showing an HDTV signal in the store! My wife hates the big ugly black box as she calls it, which is the most common design. Any help?

2. Brent Joye

Brent Joye Agent

Does anyone have any thoughts on the LCD RPTV from Panasonic?

3. Michael Hurst

Michael Hurst Stunt Coordinator

I have had a similar post "How to choose an HDTV monitor" a couple days ago, with very little response. I have same budget and sit about 11' away. Problem is a TV will look good in one store and the same one will look bad in another. I was hoping someone like Michael TLV would come to our rescue.

4. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Brent,

I work at a Best Buy in the video department. We have had the Panasonic LCD for about three weeks now. It sits directly beside a Samsung 47 HD RPTV on the showroom floor. The main thing that sticks out immediately when you look at the Panasonic unit is the lack of true black definition in the picture. The RPTV's still have much better blacks and seem to deal with color more naturally at this point in time. However, as LCD technology grows, I'm sure it will catch RPTVs in the not to distant future. In the meantime, I would probably look at Panasonics 47" RPTV. Hope this helps.

Brandon Smith

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I'm in a similar situation to you guys too...only I probably won't be buying a new TV for several months. I have been looking around lately though, and I like the Tosh 57H81 and the Panny 47". Just need to come up with some cash, and then I can make a decision.

6. Brent Joye

Brent Joye Agent

Brandon,
    Thanks for pointing that out. I actually noticed that in the store, but I wasn't sure if it was something that was correctable. That's a good point. For the money, I think I'll go with a CRT RPTV.

7. Brent Joye

Brent Joye Agent

What about the Pioneers? How do their regular models compare to the Elites? I don't think I can afford the Elite now. So how do their other sets compare?

8. Mike_Scar

Mike_Scar Auditioning

I've actually had some correspondence with Michael TLV. I posed three sets to him - Toshiba, Sony, and Panasonic - all in the 57" size and all below the $3,000 range. He seemed to really like the Panasonic for the ease and range of calibrations as well as the quality of picture. He felt that it was second to none. He said that Toshiba actually took a step backward in quality this year. And he said Sony had the best "out of the box" picture but was a little more difficult to calibrate. If Michael TLV reads this, I hope that I haven't misrepresented your opinions.

My understanding is that there is a relatively big issue with encryption on HDTV sets right now. Mitsubishi is betting on Firewire, for its compatability with other components, but it does not have the bandwith to carry an encrypted HD signal. I'm betting that DVI will ultimately win out for encryption but Firewire may be another alternative for easily tying other Home Video components together.

Buying leading edge technology, especially when standards aren't completely set, always carries risk. I personally plan to wait for the fall lineup of Sony's sets and get one with DVI inputs.

Hope this helps. There is another thread that talks about the encryption issue with HDTV.