What's new

Hi folks! Status of DLP (1 Viewer)

StevenR

Auditioning
Hi folks!

I've been using my Toshiba x81 56" for 5 years and it is long for the wear (some burn in, drift, etc)

I am interested in HD and DLP. Plasmas is out as I burned one set in, I don't trust myself :)

What is the status/state of the art for home DLP these days? If I walk into Standard/Best Buy/Good Guys etc, what should i be looking for?

I want to drive it with a HD DVR (Hopefully a TiVo but that is another agonizing topic). I have a Toshiba SD9100 DVD player, etc.

I have seen the DLPs get better and better, but the sources vary so much it is tough to figure out if the costco membership would be worth it on a purchase.

It seems that new models come out every three months.

Where is a good buying guide/comparison site?

I know about Cable Card, HDMI, DVI, etc. I want something that will grow. Are these 720P, 1080i, I've even heard that some sets might take 1080p.

How does the broadcast flag work into all of this?

Thanks so much for your time and input.

Steve in Beaverton

Kin

Agent
Hi Steve,
I wouldn't worry too much about the cable card at this point. They are only 1 way right now. So you would sacrifice the cable supplied menu system, and any pay per view you may use. I would be more concerned about the HDMI, DVI inputs.

It is a pretty good idea to stay with the industry leaders. Samsung is at the top of that list (also happens to have an HDMI, DVI, and VGA in). Toshiba and Panasonic are top performers also.

All the DLP sets out there will display 720P and 1080I. There are some sets coming out this summer that will do 1080P, but there is no solid date on them.

Another thought... Have you taken a look at the JVC DILA technology? That is my personal favorite, right now. It has the smallest amount of space between the pixels. The black model is available now, too.

What size are you looking for?

Are you working with any kind of budget?

Do you have any physical dimension constraints?

Current Toshiba DLP's are incapable of displaying 1080i content. This includes the:
46HM84
46HM94
52HM84
52HMX84
52HM94
52HMX94
62HM84
62HMX84
62HM94
62HMX94

Kin, I don't think the Panny's will do 1080i either, but I could be wrong. What about the Sammy's?

I do agree with Kin on the LCOS, it does look pretty. Too bad the pixel-lag is such a deal breaker during sporting events.

Personal preference would be the Tosh DLP.

Scott_N

Second Unit
I don't have a problem with lag on sporting events or action movies or video games on my D-ILA. In fact I saw more lag on LCD's and alot more lag with DLP's when I was shopping for a TV. The only problem my tv has had is displaying a strobe light it just couldn't do it besides that no problems.

StevenR

Auditioning
I don't know anything about DILA. I've seen the inFocus 7210 which is AWESOME, but very expensive (not to mention redoing the entire room so I am not running 100 cables to and fro)

So many choices, I appreciate your feedback!

Scott_N

Second Unit
With fast moving action I saw slow down and blurring around objects on the DLP's that I didn't see with LCD and D-ILA. I have heard a number of people complain about DLP's with video games. My stepfather has a 60" Sony LCD and I saw more blur on HD football games than i've ever seen on my JVC. The DLP's i've seen all have had nice pictures with better black levels than my JVC and I didn't see rainbows but it just seemed that they couldn't keep up with fast action. A friend of mine is a big gamer and sold his Samsung DLP because of the slowdown on xbox games and got a D-ILA like mine. I'm not a videophile but these are my observations.

Kin

Agent
Normally there is an audio synch problem with Playstation 2s because it is 480I. What type of slowdown were you seeing on the Xbox? Was he using component cables and did he have 480P and 16x9 turned on in the Xbox menu?

Scott_N

Second Unit
He uses the component cables and yes he has it set for 16.9 and HD enabled. Everytime I was over at his place I just saw the minor blurring in objects like a football being passed in madden but he said the last straw for him was when punting in madden he pushed the button on his controller and the screen was frozen in place for a couple of seconds before it started moving. These weren't huge problems but they were annoying. I have no complaints with my JVC on xbox or ps2 at all even with sports games like nhl 2k5. The only complaints I have with my JVC is that the black levels could be a little better and standard def looks worse on it than DLP or LCD but I have NO complaints at all with fast motion.

StevenR

Auditioning
How annoying, I have an XBOX also. I think I will let people beta test all of this hardware still :frowning:

Scott_N

Second Unit
Take your xbox with you to a dealer and see if you notice it too before giving up on DLP. It might not bother you as much as it did my friend and myself.

StevenR

Auditioning
yes, I will need a gamut of tests to run before I make any decisions. I'll have to build a wheeled cart with equipment to roll in on a UPS to just plug in and go :)

Mike*Mc

Auditioning
Steve, I have a Mitsubishi Diamond DLP, it received a great review the The Perfect Vision magazine, last issue, and it also has an internal hard drive. I compared the black level to the LCoS and other DLP and it seemed to be better. It also works well with X-Box, the scaler works well with both 480i and 480p. It would be worth a look. Be sure you look at the Diamond model of the DLP. Mike

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
The lag in video games is specific to the Samsungs 480i input. Not necessarily DLP. Motion blur and pixelation with HD material is most likely bandwidth issues. That'll be the case with any tv. Having had a Sony LCD 55XS955 and now a Mitsubishi DLP 62725 the picture quality is much better on the Mits with no lag or motion artifacts on fast moving video. The Sony would exhibit some motion artifacts with DVD's that I don't get with the Mits.

Kin

Agent
Scott_N,

"Everytime I was over at his place I just saw the minor blurring in objects like a football being passed in madden"

That actually sounds like you may have started to see DLP Rainbows. As far as the delay goes, that should only happen on a 480i input, like BenK said.

But... as long as you now have a set that you like, that's all that matters.

This is a great example of why it is important to buy from somebody who has a fair return policy (especially so online). You never know when something just isn't going to work out for you.

1(888)286-5353 Ext 522

Scott_N

Second Unit
Well my main point was that I haven't seen any fast motion issues with D-ILA not to put down DLP and that it shouldn't be a factor in Steve's decision on this technology IMO. Some of the things I did like about DLP were it's black levels and thought it better with standard def than D-ILA. The main things I liked about the D-ILA were it's color accuracy and how bright the picture is since it will be in a room with alot of windows and light when I move to my next place.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
ben, why did you swap out the sony with the mits? i may be buying the sony 60" myself, so i'm just curious...

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Ted, I originally got the 60" but had a hard time with the screen door effect and hard edged digital looking picture. I thought maybe it was too big for my viewing distance so I tried the 55". It was better but the screen door effect was just too distracting. I didnt realize how much better DLP was until I compared the two side by side which I didnt do before. The Mits had a smoother more natural picture with much better black levels and shadow detail. Best of all theres no screen door effect. I absolutely love it.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thanks ben. i thought the screen door effect was caused by the dlp's spinning color wheel? i wasn't aware that lcd's had that issue?

anyway, i'll definitely keep an eye out for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks