What's new

Toshiba 46" WS HD-ready RPTV for $999! (1 Viewer)

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
To my knowledge this is the first time a decent brand-name widescreen HD-ready RPTV has been offered for less the $1k. Yeah, it's only $1 less than a grand, but it's still a significant milestone. I remember a couple years ago when a 42" (?) Toshiba widescreen broke the $2000 barrier. How times change...

Best Buy is offering this deal for the next 4 days I think.

Are the Toshiba TVs still very tweakable, as they were many years ago? I bought the TW40X81 4 years ago for $2000, and just sold it last week for $600. One of the reasons I bought the Toshiba was because of the ability to access the service menu. I'm wondering if this is still possible with the new Toshibas out there? At first, I thought about going with front projection, but now I'm leaning back towards getting another RPTV. It just seems like the image/color quality with CRTs is much better, but I could be wrong :)

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
Yes there are still service menus on the new Toshiba's.

That is an incredible price. The lowest that they have been here in Canada is about $1600 with the stand, which is about $1300 US

Mike Yared

Auditioning
I actually picked this up tonight from BB.

Price was $999 and they threw in free delivery and a DVD player plus waived the delivery fee. Looking forward to firing this thing up when it's delivered in a few days.

Tuan Vo

Stunt Coordinator
I also decided to pick up this tv although I have a fairly new KV-30HS420. I thought it was already sold out since it was online. Hopefully I can integrate it into the flexy rack and find out what to do with the Sony. Picture is great on the Sony but we'll see which I keep after the Toshiba comes in. Hopefully it is a great addition along with the incoming PB2-ISD. Halo 2 will be sweet during the holiday season. :)

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Glad to see some folks taking advantage of this sweet deal. I went to my local BB just to check it out today, and all they had was an empty stand with the product info on it :) Guess somebody else swooped in and grabbed the last one in the store.

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
I thought I was finished with upgrading for a while...

I soon realized my error when I saw the price for this set in the BB flyer. I had a coupon for 12% off (if purchased with BB credit), and bought the set for $970 including sales tax and delivery!

Delivery on 11/28, and then the calibration and tweaking begins. :D

That's is a damn good price :) Makes me wonder if I should go for something like this, over the 57H84 .. hmmm.

Anyway, about the service menu - I saw a 51H84 at best buy yesterday, but couldn't get into the service menu because the TV was sitting high up on a rack and I couldn't reach the menu button :) One thing I noticed is that hitting mute goes first to 1/2 mute, and then another click takes you to full mute. I guess the method is the same for these new Toshibas, but maybe you have to hit mute twice.

Anyway, are people still using the service menu to adjust convergence, or is the Touch Focus method sufficient enough to get the job done?

Tuan Vo

Stunt Coordinator

Your post reminded me that I had one of those. Good thing I saw it. I had to go back to fix the transaction since they put the tv on my parents Best Buy account and not mine. Wow this tv is gonna come out cheaper than my Sony. I wonder if its gonna be worth keeping?

Tom#B

Stunt Coordinator
If you happen to live anywhere near an American store (Iowa, Wisconsin, Missouri, Illinois) they have this set for $979.99. Go to americantv.com.

Tom

FredHD

Stunt Coordinator
I too took the plunge and made this my first RPTV purchase. Bye bye tube, hello RP.

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
Jackson, Congrats! on your purchase! It really makes me happy to see prices on technology come down, and people being able to buy that first RPTV. I's going to be a real thrill going from a tube to a 46" HDTV , I hope other members will be able to do likewise.

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
OK, I bought this tv at sears on Black Friday and finally got it this past wednesday because the dumb sears clerk screwed up my purchase twice pushing it back from delivery to the 15th. Past that, I get it home, and start tweaking. Run though avia to what appears to be calibrated. Using component cables from my Pioneer VSX-D811s to the inputs on the TV, along with S-video and Composite.. Heres the baffling part. I have Directv. Its not HD, but still.. it looks like shit! Some channels better than others, but way too much fuzziness. DVD, S-video looks 10x better than component? Whats the deal.. I fix the TV to 1080I for both input types. I am not sure if I got a bad set, if I missed something in calibration (although I went through it twice) or if my damn perfectionist/penny pinching perspective was wishing for more for my money than this set can provide. I read nothing but great reviews, albeit based on HD content, but still.... What the hell am I doing wrong? Any one else notice grainyness instead of crispness on dvds? I waited so damn long for this day to come and I feel like its a big let down.. anyones advice/help appreciated. Especially access to service menu information. Thanks

Will.MA

Stunt Coordinator
Just a suggestion, but if you don't have a HD source from DTV, could part of your problem be that your TV is expecting 1080i but instead receiving 480i? I don't know if your TV performs upconversion since you don't specify the model you've purchased, and a quick look over your D811s specs didn't mention it as a feature. What does your TV feed look like when your TV is set to receive S-DEF signals? Lastly, is the picture quality improved by connecting the Sat receiver to TV directly without passing through your AV receiver? I ask because in the past I've read posts here that describe unexplained degradation of PQ when a satellite feed is passed via component through a receiver on the way to the display. Good luck in the meantime. The solution is usually right under our nose when we can't at first get our new toys to perform as we imagined.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
10 times better?? Sounds correct...remember that average cable / satellite is only 1/5 - 1/20 the band width of the average DVD.

Regards

gregg

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Sorry, its the same 46" toshiba everyone here is talking about, the 46H84. It does perform upconversion to 1080I on all analog signals, and for DVD, you get an option based of what the dvd player is capable of passing.

Gregg, that would seem ok, except its not component that looks better than s-video, its the other way around, and on dvd's as well as sat.

Will. I will try going directly to the TV to see what that does. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks