What's new

Torn between M22ti and M50ti (1 Viewer)

Tuan Vo

Stunt Coordinator
So after long and hard fought decision...and help from the responses in my previous thread...I have decided to order me a new set of Axioms to replace my Bose Acoustimass 10 setup. Now I was already set on getting M22ti for my mains, a VP100 for my center, and a pair of QS4s for my surrounds but now I'm debating about my mains again. At first I wanted to get my friends SVS 20-39 PC+ before he returned it back to SVS since he wants a PB2+. But since I've decided to get the Axioms instead, I don't know how long it'll be before I get a new subwoofer. I'd prolly wait til I moved out of my apartment which is in May 2005. It might be sooner. So I was debating whether or not I should get a pair of M50ti instead of the M22ti so I could get that bass response for my new setup. I use my system about 70% HT and 30% music. I just don't know if I should spend the extra money now for the floors and have some bass for the year or just go with less bass and save up for the sub? Or just go with the floors anyway?

Tuan Vo

Stunt Coordinator
So after long and hard fought decision...and help from the responses in my previous thread...I have decided to order me a new set of Axioms to replace my Bose Acoustimass 10 setup. Now I was already set on getting M22ti for my mains, a VP100 for my center, and a pair of QS4s for my surrounds but now I'm debating about my mains again. At first I wanted to get my friends SVS 20-39 PC+ before he returned it back to SVS since he wants a PB2+. But since I've decided to get the Axioms instead, I don't know how long it'll be before I get a new subwoofer. I'd prolly wait til I moved out of my apartment which is in May 2005. It might be sooner. So I was debating whether or not I should get a pair of M50ti instead of the M22ti so I could get that bass response for my new setup. I use my system about 70% HT and 30% music. I just don't know if I should spend the extra money now for the floors and have some bass for the year or just go with less bass and save up for the sub? Or just go with the floors anyway?

thapa

Agent
1. Since your main target is HT, get a (budget) sub. Dayton 10" maybe.

2. Floorstanding will give you (comparatively) louder sound but bookshelves will give you (again, comparatively)cleaner high and mid-range (when coupled appropriately with a sub). You can setup your receiver to direct the bass to the sub and that'll take considerable load off the speakers.

3. I prefer bookshelves to floorstanding and that's why I'm a bit biased.

4. Get a pair of M2is instead of QS4 for surrounds and save yourself some bucks.

thapa

Agent
1. Since your main target is HT, get a (budget) sub. Dayton 10" maybe.

2. Floorstanding will give you (comparatively) louder sound but bookshelves will give you (again, comparatively)cleaner high and mid-range (when coupled appropriately with a sub). You can setup your receiver to direct the bass to the sub and that'll take considerable load off the speakers.

3. I prefer bookshelves to floorstanding and that's why I'm a bit biased.

4. Get a pair of M2is instead of QS4 for surrounds and save yourself some bucks.

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
I can't comment on those two Axiom models, since I own the M3ti's. I do own Boston Acoustics in both floor standing and bookshelf. For HT, I would go with the bookshelf. Bookshelf provide more placement options which is very important in HT. I would also recommend picking up the Dayton 10" sub. I bought one as a second sub and think you can't beat it for the price. That sub will give you good performance until you can pick-up the svs.

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
I can't comment on those two Axiom models, since I own the M3ti's. I do own Boston Acoustics in both floor standing and bookshelf. For HT, I would go with the bookshelf. Bookshelf provide more placement options which is very important in HT. I would also recommend picking up the Dayton 10" sub. I bought one as a second sub and think you can't beat it for the price. That sub will give you good performance until you can pick-up the svs.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There will be no difference between the two except for bass extension. They use the identical drivers and have the same sensitivity, thus they will play at exactly the same SPL when fed the same power. In either case, I would set them to small and use a sub, because the M50s do not even enter the bottom octave (20-40Hz).

I agree, the Dayton sub at just $129 would be a very good choice. I personally would go with that and the M22s.

What receiver?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There will be no difference between the two except for bass extension. They use the identical drivers and have the same sensitivity, thus they will play at exactly the same SPL when fed the same power. In either case, I would set them to small and use a sub, because the M50s do not even enter the bottom octave (20-40Hz).

I agree, the Dayton sub at just $129 would be a very good choice. I personally would go with that and the M22s.

What receiver?

Tuan Vo

Stunt Coordinator
Well reciever is an 5 year old Pioneer Elite VSX-05 that runs 100 x 5 I believe. It only has Dolby Digital. And also the 1000 budget doesn't include how much I'm willing to spend on a subwoofer so the subwoofer is a separate budget for later on. I was thinking about getting an SVS 20-39PCi. Great input so far. Anymore suggestions, I plan to put the order through tonight. Thanks alot everyone.

Tuan Vo

Stunt Coordinator
Well reciever is an 5 year old Pioneer Elite VSX-05 that runs 100 x 5 I believe. It only has Dolby Digital. And also the 1000 budget doesn't include how much I'm willing to spend on a subwoofer so the subwoofer is a separate budget for later on. I was thinking about getting an SVS 20-39PCi. Great input so far. Anymore suggestions, I plan to put the order through tonight. Thanks alot everyone.

Tim O...

Stunt Coordinator
Tuan Vo,

If I could offer you one piece of advice, it would be to not skimp on your (final) sub. If it takes you longer to save up for an SVS, do it anyway. They are that good.

I have tower fronts, and if I had to do it all over again, a) I would probably go with Axioms (or maybe Rockets) because of all of the good things I've heard about them, and b) I'd buy the same sub (SVS PB2-ISD), but would skip the towers and buy good bookshelves, like the 22s or 3s. That's because the imaging and high end is reportedly better with bookshelves, they do offer more placement options, and those models from Axiom have gotten really good press. Plus, they're cheaper than towers. With a good sub, I don't think you really need towers, unless you're a stereo-nut and prefer music in two channel only, no sub.

So if I were you I'd probably save my money, buy the bookshelves, and save for a real sub.

Tim O...

Stunt Coordinator
Tuan Vo,

If I could offer you one piece of advice, it would be to not skimp on your (final) sub. If it takes you longer to save up for an SVS, do it anyway. They are that good.

I have tower fronts, and if I had to do it all over again, a) I would probably go with Axioms (or maybe Rockets) because of all of the good things I've heard about them, and b) I'd buy the same sub (SVS PB2-ISD), but would skip the towers and buy good bookshelves, like the 22s or 3s. That's because the imaging and high end is reportedly better with bookshelves, they do offer more placement options, and those models from Axiom have gotten really good press. Plus, they're cheaper than towers. With a good sub, I don't think you really need towers, unless you're a stereo-nut and prefer music in two channel only, no sub.

So if I were you I'd probably save my money, buy the bookshelves, and save for a real sub.

Tuan Vo

Stunt Coordinator
Well after much deliberation, I have decided to order the M22ti, VP100, and the QS4 setup to replace my Bose Acoustimass. Too bad the system for some odd reason declined my credit card. I'm gonna have to call them to see whats up tomorow. :frowning:

Tuan Vo

Stunt Coordinator
I did it, pressed the submit button today and the order went through...after discussing the situation with Citibank of course. They said they held the transaction because the transaction was a foreign one. Speakers should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday. Slight delay because I got one B stock.

Tuan Vo

Stunt Coordinator
I did it, pressed the submit button today and the order went through...after discussing the situation with Citibank of course. They said they held the transaction because the transaction was a foreign one. Speakers should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday. Slight delay because I got one B stock. I would do a review of them but I have no clue how to do one so yeah. Thanks for all the advice guys.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Congrats! I to think you will do just fine with a good set of books. I have tried four sets of towers and I always winned up coming back to the bookshelves for 95% HT. 5.1 music is absolutely incredible also. I really didn't save any $$ to speak of with the bookshelves that I run now but coupled with a good sub you should be very impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks