What's new

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Ok thanks guys, wasn't looking to start a war ;), it will be another week I think before I get to watching these, my replacement projector still hasn't come in yet.

gazadams

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gary adams
Watched The Martian on 3d blu ray and still thought the 3d could of been stronger. Really liked The Walk and was impressed with 3d. Also have just watched Mad max, Cats and Dogs both with great 3d in it . Just ordered Finest Hours in 3d off of ebay . Bit pricey but would like to see it .

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Watched The Martian on 3d blu ray and still thought the 3d could of been stronger. Really liked The Walk and was impressed with 3d. Also have just watched Mad max, Cats and Dogs both with great 3d in it . Just ordered Finest Hours in 3d off of ebay . Bit pricey but would like to see it .
Is The Finest Hours 3D region free??

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Instead of wasting your time watching Waterworld, I recommend sitting down with The Road Warrior and a basin of water and a very small house plant.

:rolling-smiley:

Gazadams, let me know what you think of The Finest Hours. I'll eventually buy it, but not at the current price point.

The studios have to stop gouging on 3D pricing. It's a bad enough everyone else is trying to kill the format.

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
Gazadams, let me know what you think of The Finest Hours. I'll eventually buy it, but not at the current price point.

The studios have to stop gouging on 3D pricing. It's a bad enough everyone else is trying to kill the format.

Unless I'm mistaken (Blu-ray.com is down at the moment), Finest Hours 3-D has a European street date sometime next month? As far as pricing is concerned, I see a gouger on eBay with what amounts to two pre-order listings. One for $39.99 OBO and the other $59.99 OBO. I don't know what his lowest best offer will be, but I tend to avoid those kind of uncertain shenanigans and await price drops on either the UK or DE amazon. In my experience, amazon.de tends to end up with the lower price point between the two after conversion (euro versus pound). We don't end up paying the VAT tax so generally I'll end up paying around $27 USD to import a German 3-D release. The downsides are that the menus can be written in German, longer shipping times, and occasionally region locks. At the moment, Bluray.disc.de is showing that The Finest Hours (2016) 3D (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) will be region free.

Update: Film Arena is showing a Czech release for 23.99 but no region details.

Last edited:

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony
I looked at the Ebay listing of The Finest Hours 3D and saw that it was the edition from India. Amazon India lists the title as available now but will not ship it to the US.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Unless I'm mistaken (Blu-ray.com is down at the moment), Finest Hours 3-D has a European street date sometime next month? As far as pricing is concerned, I see a gouger on eBay with what amounts to two pre-order listings. One for $39.99 OBO and the other $59.99 OBO. I don't know what his lowest best offer will be, but I tend to avoid those kind of uncertain shenanigans and await price drops on either the UK or DE amazon. In my experience, amazon.de tends to end up with the lower price point between the two after conversion (euro versus pound). We don't end up paying the VAT tax so generally I'll end up paying around $27 USD to import a German 3-D release. The downsides are that the menus can be written in German, longer shipping times, and occasionally region locks. At the moment, Bluray.disc.de is showing that The Finest Hours (2016) 3D (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) will be region free.

Update: Film Arena is showing a Czech release for 23.99 but no region details.
Is it being released in the UK in 3D?

larrdog

Stunt Coordinator
From what I've read the 3D isn't that great and I saw the Czech version was only 5.1 whereas U.S. is 7.1. I was was checking too cause I love my 3D!

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I just watched "Sammy 2: Escape from Paradise" and I have to agree that this is a better movie than "A Turtle's Tale". Although the story is formulaic, it's done with a great deal of wit and charm
The 3D is remarkable with lots of depth, pop out and as is invariably the case with underwater stuff, be it live action or animation, some amazing floating object sequences.
The tour of the huge aquarium, in the company of Big D and his thuggish eel minders, is particularly impressive. The undulating movements of the eels back and forth is tailor-made for 3D.
It's a shame live action 3D isn't made with this much care and precision.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, Stephen, alas that is the among the best 3D that is available.

Sadly, you won't see anything like that again coming out of anywhere.

I still love 3D, but nobody wants to be creative anymore and dazzle audiences the way they were during the Golden Age of the format.

It's no wonder 3D is dying.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
It's the difference between a 3D movie and a movie which just happens to be in 3D.
The former is meant to get every possible bit of mileage out of the 3D process whereas the latter is just a marketing ploy which is starting to get a bit stale.
When 3D was a rarity it was worth (most of the time) making the effort to seek it out but when nearly every popular movie is in 3D for no good reason, the currency is devalued.
When 3D dies out this time, all sorts of reasons will be given but the planks in charge of marketing will probably emerge unscathed as usual.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Most contemporary movies, including the animated ones, are in "2.5D"--limited depth and "pop out." By and large I don't bother with them. To pay a surcharge for next to nothing is ridiculous. People get upset when the same, undistinguished film doesn't get a 3D release on disc, but it rarely bothers me. Movies that do make active use of 3D, like THE WALK, should be the rule and not the exception, and I'm glad that one made it onto disc intact, but there it is.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
When 3D was a rarity it was worth (most of the time) making the effort to seek it out but when nearly every popular movie is in 3D for no good reason, the currency is devalued.
Good point!

There is still a lot of great 3D coming out today and most of it is still available for consumer via Blu-ray 3D. Some Disney titles like Star Wars are in limbo, but other titles require searching world markets.

One of the most intense at-the-edge-of-your-seat Disney 3D titles I just finished watching yesterday was the region-free "The Finest Hours 3D" released by Sony media 5/16/2016 in India (Amazon India only delivers locally), but it is also available on Ebay. I'll tell you right now this movie has a lot of dark stormy scenes and for the 3D to look perfectly natural in every situation and pristine throughout the movie, I suggest viewing it on a passive OLED 3D UHD display. The 3D movie will be perfectly resolved and you'll have no complaints. Movie is an exceptional production and the 3D is a perfect match for it!

The Finest Hours 3D Front.jpg

The Finest Hours 3D Back.jpg

Last edited:

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I think "Zootropolis" might warrant a Top 30 slot if it hasn't already got one. It's breathtakingly good: very funny, great story and visuals plus good, if restrained, use of 3D.

Last edited:

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I think "Zootropolis" might warrant a Top 30 slot if it hasn't already got one. It's breathtakingly good: very funny, great story and visuals plus good, if restrained, use of 3D.
That's just the trouble...restrained use of 3D, to me it's just pointless, why have just a mild depth as that's not good use of 3D imo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tennispro786
Recent bookmarks