What's new

TOP 10 & HONORABLE MENTIONS of Hollywood Celebrity/Film Making Satires! (1 Viewer)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Damen,

You must have too much time on your hands to be so interested in arguing semantics when, as you appear to be well educated, must surely understand that the 'meaning' of words is subjective. If you need to define each word by how it is written in Websters, then I understand why you seem so caught up in the meaning of Satire (and probably other words that you hold so dearly).

I wish you well, but you may want to consider that words have multiple meanings and can only be defined by their use. Looking over the list, and understanding the content, I am surprised you were unable to understand the use of the word satire to describe this group.

I think there is a forum for those that enjoy arguing semantics and I would invite you to post your comments there regarding the 'meaning' of satire.

In the meantime I think I'll write a satire on those flawed individuals who think each word has only one defined meaning. ;)

Come to think of it, I believe Ethan Cowen already did. :D

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I'll Do Anything.

Incisive, cutting, sweet.

Scored by Hans.

toes up! :b

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
LOL, you are quite an interesting character Damien. I think it best that I simply agree to disagree and get back to the main topic...

I left out three other satires, one in which I am adding to the Top 10:

Link Removed[/url]
Link Removed
Mel Brook's is one of film's greatest satirists and this send-up of the silent film era is a long misunderstood gem.

Link Removed[/url]
Link Removed
This Preston Sturges classic is a must see and features Veronica Lake at her very best! The satire is subtle, but relevant enough to make it onto the honorable mentions.

Link Removed[/url]
Link Removed
This may seem an odd choice, but if you have never seen it, or it's been a long time - give it another viewing, but watch it as a satire, not as an action adventure movie and you may be pleasantly surprised how relevant and entertaining it is.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I realize this thread had come and gone, but I just watched 'The Independent' and it fits perfectly with this group of films!

This film is a marvelous mockumentary satire of a 70's exploitation film maker (naturally Roger Corman is one of the many celebrities who have a cameo in this film).

The official website, Link Removed, is even funnier than the film!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
There are a couple of great Chaplin shorts satirizing film production, Behind the Screen and His New Job are two that come to my mind.

Do we count Project Greenlight? ;) (it was pretty funny at times, though sadly it did not represent exaggeration)

And you definitely have left off one of the great ones...My Favorite Year.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
How about the Coen Brothers' Barton Fink (which I got early on DVD :D ), a surreal episode of a first time screenwriter suffering writer's block in 1940's Hollywood.

WillardK

Second Unit
Contempt

and more about television than film, but most definitely about celebrity:
King of Comedy

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Just curious, but why did you include The Princess Bride? Is Christopher Guest an uncredited writer on the screenplay?
I'm guessing Nils probably just made a mistake. Christopher Guest did have an important supporting role as Count Rugen, but he never wrote the film - that was all William Goldman (mostly lifted straight from his wonderful novel).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks