What's new

Top 10 favourite animation films that haven't been released on Bluray (1 Viewer)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Since animation is my favourite genre, I thought to start this thread (similarly with the other "decades" threads).

if you like you can include anime, but I don't because i would need another top 10 there!

So, here we go:

Gandahar
The Prince of Egypt
Starchaser - The Legend of orin
Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas
Time Masters
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
The Brave little Toaster
The Plague Dogs
Allegro non Troppo
Mr. Bug goes to town

220px-Gandahar-poster.jpg

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Pretty nice list.
It's especially egregious that "Batman:Mask of the Phantasm" hasn't been released to Blu-ray. I own the DVD and it's non-anamorphic.
"The Prince of Egypt" at least has a very nice looking anamorphic DVD presentation. But there is no question that both deserve BD releases.

I only have two other movies that I can think of to add to the list:
* "Titan A.E." --- A very underrated Don Bluth animated SCI-FI flick with incredible visuals.
* "The Road to Eldorado" --- A "sort of" animated Bing Crosby/Bob Hope road show movie. They even work in the "patty cake" routine!

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I didn't know about that Flash Gordon movie.
I see there's not even a DVD of it.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
At least Mr. Bug/Hoppity Goes to Town will soon be struck from these lists, thanks to Steve Stanchfield at Thunderbean Animation. He's stewarded some pretty fantastic releases so far but I'm looking forward to this one most of all. I absolutely adore this cartoon but have never seen it in anything even approaching decent quality!

While I'm here, a quick plug for DreamWorks' brilliant Over the Hedge (2006), quite possibly my favourite modern animation. Hilarious, poignant and very intelligent, it strangely never had a sequel and is inexplicably thus far unreleased on BD. A real shame. :(

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm feeling a bit guilty I don't have much of a list, but -
Balto
Lord of the Rings (1978)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
While I'm here, a quick plug for DreamWorks' brilliant Over the Hedge (2006), quite possibly my favourite modern animation. Hilarious, poignant and very intelligent, it strangely never had a sequel and is inexplicably thus far unreleased on BD. A real shame. :(
I agree completely. It's unbelievable that this funny and thoughtful film has never gotten a Blu-ray release.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Over the Hedge took me completely by surprise, as I came upon it quite unexpectedly. My friend Shelley and her young daughter were visiting for the weekend and the latter kept insisting we go to the cinema to see this new cartoon. Eventually we agreed, if only to shut her up. We settled into our seats with Shelley and I moaning about the high price of the tickets and concession stand. However, within minutes we were absolutely howling with laughter, to the bemusement of the rest of the audience. Meanwhile Heidi sat silently between us, sinking lower and lower in her seat out of embarrassment. Of course, both Shelley and I bought the DVD as soon as it came out and have been raving about it ever since. Thanks Heidi! :lol: :lol:

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I would add these to the ones already mentioned...

Princess Iron Fan
Uproar In Heaven
Garbancito De La Mancha
Felicidades Vacaciones
Momotaro Sacred Sailors
1001 Arabian Nights (Mr Magoo)
Fritz The Cat
Fear(s) Of The Dark

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
If the Aardman films count as animation, then...

Chicken Run
Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
Flushed Away

also

The Prince of Egypt

and a few anime films that come to mind:

Metropolis (2001)
Perfect Blue (1997)
Memories (1995)

- Walter.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Metropolis (2001)
Here you are, but it's a BD-R.
https://www.amazon.com/Metropolis-Blu-ray/dp/B01LTI23TM
Eureka of course has released a pressed bluray
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Osamu-Tezukas-Metropolis-Blu-ray/dp/B01M8NARCY
Bluray.com says it's Region Free but I'm not sure.
one amazon reviewer says:
Metropolis (2001) BD comparisons at DVDCompare net

I'm always amazed that so many folk around here are still seemingly unaware of DVDCompare. As a collector, it's easily my number one resource. Bookmark it! :D

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
CHICKEN RUN is out on Blu in the UK:
<https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chicken-Ru...F8&qid=1495627805&sr=1-3&keywords=chicken+run>

MR. BUG (HOPPITY) GOES TO TOWN is apparently coming, but it could be a long wait, as I surmise Mr. Stanchfield is churning these Blu-rays out almost single-handedly.

I don't consider SONG OF THE SOUTH an "animated film," but rather a live-action drama with about twenty-five minutes of animation.

My "10 Most Wanted" list, with one exception (ANTZ) is made up of titles already listed above:

CURSE OF THE WERE-RABBIT
ANTZ
FLUSHED AWAY
PRINCE OF EGYPT
FRITZ THE CAT
TITAN A.E.
ALLEGO NON TROPPO (Criterion, are you there?)
THE PLAGUE DOGS (both cuts)
OVER THE HEDGE
BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I would enjoy the COMPLETE versions of MELODY TIME and MAKE MINE MUSIC. But I think that goes without saying...probably ain't gonna happen. Very glad to hear that HOPPITY is on his way...no matter the title.
At this point I think we will be lucky to even get the versions that were released on DVD on blu ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks