What's new

Top 10 Favourite 50s films that haven't been released on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
The same question I've asked as regards the 30s and 40s. How many of these many
fine films are now out on Blu-Ray?

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I'm still waiting for Battle Circus from 1953.
th

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
There are TOO Many 1950's movies on my WISH list that still are NOT on Bluray. Vistavision and Cinemascope Classics ! How much longer do we have to WAIT ?? : ( Watching them on dvd is not the same. I have been Spoiled with the Bluray and 4K UHD picture quality.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I hope we'll eventually get a BD of The Mob from 1951, with Broderick Crawford, Ernest Borgnine and, in an early uncredited appearance, Charles Bronson.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. First observation rereading this thread is that a decent number of the desired titles mentioned have made their way to Blu-ray, Notably one of my most desired titles, Strategic Air Command (1955). That and a number of Humphrey Bogart & Marilyn Monroe titles from the 50s.

Second, since I wasn't yet born (or hatched from skunk droppings on a log as my older brother Ed insists), I haven't been all that familiar with 1950s era titles until recently. So here is my list of most desired 1950s era titles:

The Jackpot (1950): A James Stewart forgotten classic. I just heard the radio show version and now want this title on Blu. A DVD release is available but I don't know how good the transfer is.

Artists & Models (1955): One of the most risque Jerry Lewis releases, at least until Way Way Out (1966). It is available on Amazon Prime streaming which I just recently purchased.

Queen Of Outer Space (1958): The very acceptable DVD release of this Zsa Zsa Gabor SciFi classic makes me want a HD Blu release even more. That and its so deliciously politically incorrect (and thats all I'll say about anything political). Hopefully the coming (Fall 2018 or so) remake by Jim Wynorski, featuring 80s heartthrob actress Kelli Maroney Ulin (Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Night Of The Comet) in the Zsa Zsa Gabor role will stir interest in releasing a Blu.
Oh and did I mention that this film "borrowed" quite a few props (uniforms, blasters) from Forbidden Planet (1953) and special effects from various other 50s SciFi films.

Cat Women Of The Moon (1953): A decent DVD release is available and maybe (someone confirm) a colorized version. This 50 SciFi "horror" is a classic example of totally funny (in unintended ways) bad moviemaking.
Oh and note that clips from this film and the previously mentioned CWOTM are featured prominently at the Disney SciFi Dine In Theater at Disney Hollywood Studios.

Missile To The Moon (1959): The lower-quality remake of Cat Women Of The Moon, even borrowing that silly giant spider for the nth time in 50s SciFi. Still makes for some great comic RiffTrax accompanied viewing.

Rocketship XM (1950): Don't know much about this film but there seems to be considerable (in classic film circles) interest in a future Blu release.

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
1. Cairo Station
2. Nights of Cabiria
3. The Burglar
4. The Lineup
5. The Girl Can't Help It
6. The Browning Version
7. Murder By Contract
8. Sawdust and Tinsel
9. Jazz on a Summer's Day
10. El (This Strange Passion)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
The Greatest Show On Earth

Around The World In 80 Days

Raintree County

War Of The Worlds

The High And The Mighty

High Society

Seven Brides For Seven Brothers

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Silk Stockings

Auntie Mame
I just watched Auntie Mame on Blu ray.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I watched the other day Designing Woman (1957).
It was very fun and I'd welcome a bluray of it!
I see it won the only Oscar it was nominated for, that of an original screenplay.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Scaramouche (1952)
Nancy Goes to Rio (1950)
The Swan (1956)
High Society (1956)
Three Little Words (1950)
Royal Wedding (1951)
Executive Suite (1954)
The Student Prince (1954)