What's new

Tomorrow People Season 1 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm completely sold. Others may find this a bit camp, but this is a good mix of a lot of different concepts and the superhero level action here was very good. Depending on how this all plays out, I like the basic setup, premise and it could be some great rompy fun.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I kept felt like I was watching a tv series based on the movie "Jumper". Not saying its a bad thing. Will watch and see how it goes.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
todd s said:
I kept felt like I was watching a tv series based on the movie "Jumper". Not saying its a bad thing. Will watch and see how it goes.
Yeah, it definitely feels like Jumper. Also not a bad thing in a TV format.. that was a movie that had a great setup but not enough payoff. A series based on genetic change has more room to grow

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
This was a very good pilot. I hate to beat a dead horse, but that was much better than Agents of SHIELD. Peyton List is better than all of the actresses on SHIELD combined. Lots of echoes of XMen, The Matrix, and Star Wars, but didn't try too hard to be hip and edgy.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the pilot quite a bit. I could have done without the high school angle (Smallville anyone?) but other than that, there was a lot to like in the first episode. Peyton List was excellent and I thought the FX work was pretty solid for genre television. I was disappointed when Alphas was canceled, but this will fill in nicely I believe.

I enjoyed most of the cast and I'm happy to see Mark Pellegrino and Sarah Clarke in the show. Looking forward to seeing where this series goes.

- Walter.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Peyton List looks like a cross between Jessica Biel and Amy Smart. Not too shabby.

Yes, the high school thing is a misstep, primarily because none of the cast looks plausible as high school students. What was the last show to actually get this right -- Freaks and Geeks?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the high school thing is a misstep, primarily because none of the cast looks plausible as high school students. What was the last show to actually get this right -- Freaks and Geeks?
Joss Whedon pointed out on one of the supplements for the DVD release of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Complete Series) that the reason they aren't able to cast age appropriate actors for series set in high school is because those actors *are* in school. Sort of makes sense when you think about it.

BTW, in complete agreement with you regarding the acting abilities of Peyton List vs. the actresses on that other new superhero show. :)

- Walter.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
CW committed to more scripts, and the ratings (for CW) fairly good, especially after they were adjusted up in the overnights.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Not a bad pilot episode, though I think audiences are pretty jaded about super-powered folks nowadays, so I hope the episodes are interesting going forward (even if it's based on a British show in the 1970s). I do like it more than SHIELD for now.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
We went into a story of the week mode this week, but I like the angle they are using; setting this up almost as an "Alias" type storyline with superpowers. :) I don't know how longterm they can keep some elements going.

For the concern over high school, the school plays almost no role at all in the show, which I think benefits it as a way to establish age without getting involved in any high school melodrama

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I expected a drop off in quality after the slam bang pilot and it was there, but it wasn't as big as feared. Yeah, the dialog gets clunky at times, but the actors are really doing a terrific job with mushy lines. I didn't quite understand the logic of the abandoned building chase -- if you can teleport anywhere, why are you using your powers to merely pass through walls?

But I really like the cast and performances, and they're still building on mythology even though it necessarily had to pump the breaks after all the reveals in the pilot. I see that one of the network notes was, "more cleavage". Peyton List's wardrobe is softer and lower cut now. And as much as I like boobs, I liked her look and wardrobe from the pilot more.

The lead looks like Taylor Lautner and David Boreanaz were merged in a teleporter accident. He reminds me a lot of Angel from Buffy season one.

I'm glad to see the show hasn't fallen apart yet. It should start to gel in a few episodes, so this might really be something good. Although the newest SHIELD episode was a big improvement from the first three, I still like The Tomorrow People more. Except for the cringeworthy title that they lampshaded in the pilot. They keep lampshading "Homo Superior" as well.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I am hoping they explaining their teleporting limits soon. Can they only teleport to a place they can visualize or line of sight (maybe bring in Jumper style teleportation)? How do the TP follow someone who's teleported first to an "unknown" destination during the chases?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
They can't kill because of some feedback loop that causes pain, but they can beat the crap out of someone with impunity. The bank robber was trying to push the lead guy off the roof with his TK powers, and it didn't seem to bother him at all. I don't know if that hints that some of them lack the prohibition towards killing or if it's just a writer's gaffe.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, I'm done with this series.

I watched the original series. I enjoyed the original series. I thought this one opened well.

BUT, each week its gotten worse and worse.

I thought tonights episode was repugnant. The mass shooting felt a little too real-world sick.

And with the way they view the world, humans, and each other, well frankly, I don't feel this 'species' deserves to survive.

Oh, by the way, was this the third week or the fourth week in a row where the big action set piece was John and Cara battling.

Well, at least it frees up some DVR space.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I'm starting to enjoy the show less as the weeks go by, but I think they've been dropping hints that the subway gang are really a bunch of Magnetos. Which is actually an interesting dynamic for a show like this.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Okay... this show s sucks now. It's become unwatchably bad. I don't need them to explain the powers, but there should be some sort of internal logic, and this show has decided it doesn't care any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks