What's new

TIVO in Canada - when and what is stopping it? (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Alright, we know the ExpressVu satelite has the GO box which seems to be a takeoff on TIVO. Is there anything causing problems for tivo units to work with shaw or rogers cable systems? I still don't see these things for cable. I don't believe it's anything to do with our cable system. Is it the CRTC that is blocking TIVOs progress into the homes of Canadians? Or are the units just plain not selling up here but if you buy one online in the US and ship it using borderfree, will it WORK?
------------------
McPaul.

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
I believe it will work but you won't be able to use the software which is the real selling feature of these units.
Without the software it is basically a dumb VCR
(albeit a good VCR).
This is from the Tivo website FAQ area:
quote:
Is TiVo available in Canada?
No. The TiVo Service is not currently available in Canada. Currently, the TiVo Service is only available in the United States and in the United Kingdom.
[/quote]
I suspect the CRTC is probably stopping them from coming to Canada.
[Edited last by Mike St.Louis on November 04, 2001 at 12:33 PM]

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
so the TIVO will still do everything it does in the states like pausing live action, skipping commercials, recording 60 hours, etc, it just wont display that guide so you odn't know what you're recording? is this correct? Is there anyone out there that doesn't use the software? how do you find it to use?
------------------
McPaul.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
From what I've read, current TiVo models will not work, even in "VCR mode", unless they're connected to the TiVo service. There's really little point in using a TiVo unit without the service; a VCR would be cheaper and just as effective.
Is there anyone out there that doesn't use the software? how do you find it to use?
As I recall, the box comes with the software pre-loaded. Subsequent upgrades are then performed through the same telephone connection used to update scheduling information.
M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks