What's new

tivo dvr no subscription (1 Viewer)

zpdrummer

Agent
Real Name
Andrew
Hello,
I have a very basic question, I was looking for a DVR player and came across the tivo dvrs, they are quite cheap(off ebay) compared to standalone dvr, so my real question is, can I use the dvr feature of the tivo, without getting a subscription?? I understand I won't get the tivo benefits, but all i really need was recording feature.
Also, if I can do this, will I still be able to transfer files over my home network without a subscription?
thanks in advance

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Only the first generation of TiVo machines will work as a DVR without a subscription. Beginning with (I believe) the Series 2, TiVos simply refuse to function unless they're subscribed. It's possible the later Series 1s have the same requirement; so I'd be careful.

As for transferring files over a home network, I'm pretty sure you need a subscription to enable that feature, for the simple reason that I don't believe the feature was added until the Series 2.

M.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
TiVo Series 2, TiVo Series 3 and TiVo HD all require subscription to have program information, set up recordings, and use any broadband features, such as MRV and TTG. You can play the recordings you already have once your subscription expires, but that's about it.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have seen some Pioneer dvrs (possibly other brands as well) on Ebay that had Tivo built in and came with a lifetime subscription when sold new. I don't remember the model number but it had a 57 in it. I have no idea if they would still work after a sale to another individual but the sellers seem to think they would (which is what you would expect them to say).

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
There were two models. The 57-H was the elite model, with a larger hard drive. Mine was the matching standard model, the 810-H. They have TiVo Basic service. It provides only for three days of program guide information (as compared to fourteen days, for full TiVo service), and doesn't allow for the broadband features (MRV or TTG).

Doesn't much matter to me, though: My Pioneer 810-H has lifetime (full TiVo) service.

TiVo service (lifetime or Basic) travels with the DVR. That's TiVo policy.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Thanks for clearing that up. The 57-H isn't on Pioneers web site but I did find the 810-H there (under older models).

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart

I'm not familiar with their current policy, but it wasn't always that way. I bought tivo lifetime about 8 years ago and still have it, even though the equipment I had then is long gone.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
It has always been their policy. Please believe me: always. They have allowed lifetime service transfers, both paid and free, under very specific and certain circumstances for each of the two. However, barring transfers, the service always is tied to the service number, which is burned onto the motherboard of the box.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Brian is correct. I also bought lifetime service about 8 years ago, and that particular subscription has been attached to three different boxes. The first switch (from Series 1 to 2) was free. The second switch (from Series 2 to 3) was not. But whatever box it's attached to, it stays with until and unless TiVo allows a switch.

M.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
Must be because my original paid subscription to tivo was for a D*tivo. Shortly after I paid it, the lifetime transfered to any D* DVR.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
DirecTiVo service is with DirecTV, not with TiVo. The OP is discussing regular TiVo service, not DirecTV service.

Note that TiVo won't allow any transfers between DirecTiVo and regular TiVo service.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks