What's new

Tired of American Idol? Don't mind country music? You owe it to yourself.... (1 Viewer)

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
to check out Nashville Star. Believe it or not, this show has several contestants that make every single one of the American Idol stiffs look like absolute amateurs.

I couldn't believe my ears. I am no country music fan, but was still highly impressed once I got past the cheese factor of the hostess.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I dig Nancy O'Dell!

I think Miranda or Amy will take it all, but Buddy and John Arthur will make the final four.

Buddy will get a deal out of this competition even if he doesn't win because he's got the chops for country.

Brandon's "party" country style won't go over as well as my top four.

I don't think much of Jamey's vocals, and harmonica gets old quick for me.

Brandi's too much of a basketcase, and lacks subtlety.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Saturday night on USA Network at 9 p.m. EST

What's sort of brutal is that they eliminate one person at the start of each show because they don't have the 2nd "Results" show like American Idol does.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
4/5/03 show:

Brandon needs to be shown the barndoor. How long can you go with that "lazy, drunk fratbot" attitude/schtick? I thought Brandon would have gotten the boot last week, not Jamey, but I'm not a big Jamey fan either, so no biggie.

What probably did suck for Jamey was having to come up with his original song, and then get the boot at the start of the show. This is why this show is a bit more brutal than AI.

Amy did crossover in to pop country with that song her hers. She reminds me of the lead character (played by Samatha Mathis) in that movie "The Thing Called Love".

Buddy's song was smoothing and mellow. He's still the best of male singers.

John Arthur's song was okay, not enough tempo changes, and he's always got that silly "just happy to be here" performance face. At first it was okay, but now, not as impressed.

Miranda is going to really blossom with more years of experience under her belt, but she's got star quality.

Brandon's song was just goofy and dumb. He was precisely what Charlie was talking when singers just try to find a hook and build a song around a hook, instead of doing what Miranda does with building up a song with images and details to get her point across.

Brandi's song was one of the weaker efforts. Still not one of my favorites on the show either.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Ugh, I can't believe Amy got the boot in last week's show, before Brandon of all people! Brandon's got to get the boot at the start of tonight's show, or there is seriously no justice in the world.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Brandon finally got the axe.

Is it just me, or has Brandi gotten smaller, and Miranda gotten larger as the weeks go by?

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
I didn't see any threads for this year's competition, so I thought I would use the thread for last year's show to voice my thoughts.

I'm putting my support with George Canyon. He has been the most consistent performer, he has a great voice, and he can write decent songs.

My second choice would be Brad Cotter. I like his voice, instrumentals (guitar AND keyboard!), and his songwriting ability. However, he smiles during sad or serious material, which diminishes the power behind those songs somewhat. I wouldn't mind if he got the recording contract. My dream would be for Brad to write songs for George. Can you imagine the quality that could come from that?

What do you all think of this year's pack? Were there any that got eliminated too early? Too late? What would you like to see in next year's show?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So now we are down to 3: George, Brad, and Matt (of all people).

Matt is like Red on American Idol, but with a bit more talent, but still not as good as the other 2.

I think Brad will win. His second song was spot on, and his singing has a way of sending shivers up and down my spine in a good way.

But it's going to be a close race.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
I've called the results spot-on so far this season, and I have called George Canyon as the winner from the get go. But Brad certainly could win it all, it is going to be a very close race between those two.

Chris

Gordon St Pierre

Stunt Coordinator
George & Brad are both great ..Either could Win ..Both will do well I'm sure
George being a Canadian might kill a few votes for him from a large US audience...But not to bad so far I guess
Its Aired in Canada on CMT but not until Sunday night after the voting on Sat is Over -Go figure

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Brad Cotter was named Nashville Star for 2004.

The wrap-up show was entertaining, Leanne Rimes showed up and did a couple of songs.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
Nancy said that Brad's new single would be released the day after the show. It seems to me that the only way this is possible without spoiling the suspense for the contestants is to record single versions of a song for all three remaining contestants (or all 11, but much earlier). I know they want to get the ball rolling for the winner as fast as possible, but that seems a little too quick.

Anyway, congratulations to Brad, and I'll still look for an album from George in the future.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Brad, George, and Matt had singles recorded. All can be downloaded from Wal-Mart online, and Brad's will be available in stores.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks