What's new

Time Warner HD cable (1 Viewer)

BrentWatkins

Auditioning
has anyone tried warner's hd cable service yet? i'm supposedly on their waiting list and will be hooked up once their order of hd converter boxes arrives. just curious if anyone had any insight on what i can look forward to (or not look forward to).

Ross Waite

Stunt Coordinator
I'm on the same list. I would love to hear reports on the HD cable as well.

One question...if you are receiving HD CBS, how can you record the programming (SD or HD)? Are SD and HD channels separate?

-Ross

Mike I

Supporting Actor
The local HD and SD feeds are separate....You would not be able to record off the HD feed...I do not have TWC HD cable but a friend does and it just like any other HD whether off a Satellite or OTA it looks great...

BrentWatkins

Auditioning
i don't know of any equipment that will record HD. maybe those new D-VHS decks can?

what would be slick is a tivo-like device that could operate on HD signals.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
In NYC we are getting 4 channels: HBO on ch 701; CBS on ch 702; SHO on ch 703; and NBC on ch 704. PQ is just fine. ABC, PBS and FOX have been down since 9/11 (as was NBC, but it came back just in time for the Olympics).

BrentWatkins

Auditioning
now that just makes me jealous; in columbus they are only offering CBS, HBO, and SHO.

when you say the picture quality is "just fine", do you mean that in a bad way, like "merely ok"?

Sure you can record HD. If you make yourself a HTPC (home theater PC) you can use it as a version of the TIVO. Unfortunately the video card in one of those things is about 400. and then you need a lot of hard drive space. Head on over to the avsforum.com and they have a section there for the HTPC.

Stephen Teffner

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
"Just fine" as in just fine with me, but I hear HD reception is better with an antenna. Since I'm the only person I know that HAS HDTV, I have nothing to compare it to!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Since cable HD is 256QAM, not 8VSB, and Warner's HD boxes don't have firewire out (yet), there is no way to record the HD with a PC or D-VHS deck.

As far as the picture being worse, Warner at one time expressed that they were not planning on performing additional compression (which is the only thing that could reduce the picture quality).

BrentWatkins

Auditioning
the flyer i got from warner said that you needed a tv with component video inputs. but there was an asterisk, and below it said it was also compatible with IEEE 1394 and H-Sync/V-Sync inputs (i'm not familiar with the latter).

Michael: Sorry I should have made my statement differently. You can use a HTPC with an OTA and record that way. I know your'e not going to be able to record HD off of the TW box. I just thought he wanted to record HD, he didn't specify signal type.

Stephen Teffner

Ross Waite

Stunt Coordinator
Thats good info regarding recording. I knew that recording HD was essentially out of the question. I was just worried that once the move to HD was made (example CBS), would that prevent me from recording the shows in any form? If there is a SD channel for the same program, then I won't miss any programing.

When I called TWC, they implied "very soon" for the implementation of HD. They also told me that it would be the same fee as their SD digital service. Not bad...

-Ross

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Thats good info regarding recording. I knew that recording HD was essentially out of the question.
It's not totally out of the question. You could use a Japanese W-VHS deck with the component outputs, but there would be some degradation.

Yes, Time Warner is not charging extra for HD over the Digital versions of the applicable channels. Good for them!

ZachD

Auditioning
I was on the waiting list as well throughout January and had my install on Feb. 15th. I think it is terrific, with the exception of having to switch inputs to toggle back and forth between HD and SD(not a huge deal though). Seems that CBS has better PQ than HBO HD or SHO HD though. From what I've been told effective May 1st the Columbus market will begin receiving ABC, NBC, UPN, FOX(480p most likely), and PBS.

BrentWatkins

Auditioning
you were on the list in january? i called them in january and the customer service rep said they had no information yet about HDTV and to watch my mail. i only called them again recently because someone at work mentioned seeing an ad about it in the paper.

i assume from your comment that the regular channels won't come out over the component video outputs? i looked on WBNS's (CBS) website for their digital channel schedule, and it looks like they broadcast most of the day. are all of those shows really filmed in high-def?

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
i assume from your comment that the regular channels won't come out over the component video outputs?
ALL channels come in over the component outputs--non HD channels have black bars on the sides. All non-HD channels & the HD channels' audio also simultaneously come thru the S-video & regular outputs.

ZachD

Auditioning
you were on the list in january? i called them in january and the customer service rep said they had no information yet about HDTV and to watch my mail.
Same thing happened to me the first time I called. Then I called back and got a different rep who seemed to know a little more info, she proceeded to put my name on a waiting list and roughly a week later I received a phone call scheduling the installation:) I asked the tech if anyone could get it and he said "yes, anyone that asks for it and has digital cable already is eligible to have it installed immediately." Maybe its area specific for now?

BrentWatkins

Auditioning
hmmm.... maybe. i was told that they're waiting on a shipment of converter boxes to come in. what part of town do you live in? i live in the bexley area.

Scott_G

Second Unit
I've had TW-HD for over 2 years now ... don't hate me.

My 1st SD-2000 just bit the dust the other day. I called and asked if I could get a replacement. They said they kept a few for current subscribers. They gave me a brand new SD-2000 - I was hoping for the 3000. They are doing 3000's yet. New one does look a little cleaner.

I would really like a second converter but I wouldn't feel right with people on 4 month long waiting lists.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks