What's new

Time to upgrade to HD....Mitsubishi vs Samsung??? (1 Viewer)

JasonT_B

Auditioning
Trying to weed through all the choices is like trying to find your way through a corn field. We have currently been watching a Toshiba(36A61) 36" set for the last 5-6 years. Thinking of moving it to the bedroom and purchasing an HD set. My choices are limited to 56" and 57" due to the location will not allow for larger. The two DLP sets I have my eye on are the Mitsubishi Diamond Series WD-57831 and the Samsung HL-T5687S. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jay

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
My beautiful Mitsubishi 55513 died after 3.5 years. Parker mentioned in my "Upgrade Time" thread that he's had all kinds of problems with his Mitsu as well.

The other day I was talking about this to the TV salesman at my local Sears (a pretty smart guy), where I tend to buy TVs, and his comment was "a good salesman can tell you which brands tend to come back -- notice that there aren't any Mitsubishi sets on our shelves anymore."

Also, I have read that the 87 series Samsungs are prone to geometry problems due to the fudging they did to get the cabinets so thin. If you get one that doesn't have an issue, the picture is great.

At this point I'm leaning towards a Toshiba myself. Of course, reading through all those 15-page AVS Forum threads on the various problems with different sets makes me want to stick with my ancient 13" set that just works. . .

JasonT_B

Auditioning
Thanks Aaron.........I guess I will continue to do some more research.......

Would love to hear if anyone else has some comments.

Thanks,

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks