What's new

Time to get a car: Lexus IS300? '00 or '01 Passat? Or something else...? (1 Viewer)

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
CarMax should be known as AssRape! I went in there with my friend when she was looking for a low-mileage used car that wasn't too expensive. We walked in the CarMax showroom and I saw a one year old Audi S4 with 22,000 miles on it. CarMax was asking $39,995 for it. To put that amount into perspective, that's more than the list price of a brand new S4 with the same options! After seeing that, I simply said to her, "We're leaving." We never came back.

If you have $30,000 to spend, a new car is definitely the way to go.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Check out the Acura CL-S. A friend of mine bought one not too long ago and it's a sweet car.
Check here on a thread where a HTF member was selling his earlier this year.

jeff morris

Agent
The G35 is by far the best value out there right now. I've had mine for 3 months and think it's just KILLER!!
I too do not believe in buying used, you don't know what you're getting. There are too many hidden problems that you won't be told about, then you have to shell out to fix later on. Was the engine ever over-revved? oil changed regularly? alignment ok? etc, etc...final word, buy new.
Unfortunately, the G35 IS NOT $27K, more like $34K, but I feel it's definately worth it. It is easily a 10 yr car. Great engine/transmission, handles like a slot car, ride like a pillow, good trunk space and comfort for 4 adults.
If that's too steep a price, try the Maxima - the best value in a car anywhere!! Fully loaded, you can usually get a new one for $25k out the door. I've owned 4 of them over the years, with NO problems at all, ever. OK, well, I did have a rear brake squealing problem a few years ago. I suppose you can tell I am a Nissan fan. Yes, I do believe in their products. For me, they work:emoji_thumbsup:
Good luck with whatever you buy!!

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Jeff, the G35 with no options starts at about $27,000, and the leather edition starts at about $29,000. Nearly all the Gs on the lots, however, do list for around $34,000, because they're loaded up with options, because that's where the manufacturer and the dealers make their money.

If I were to get a G35, I'd get the leather edition with the only option being the sport package. That rings up at just a hair under $30,000, and that's a tremendous value. The downside, however, is that this car would have to be a special order, and so it probably wouldn't be discounted much (maybe only $1000-$2000) and you'd have to wait a couple months.

Regarding the Acuras, they're FWD and assembled in the U.S. I'll take the RWD and made in Japan G35 for the same price, thank you.

jeff morris

Agent
Justin -
You are correct. The cars all come with the "standard options" wether you want them or not. Fortunately, I only had to wait about a week as I only "asked" for the premium and winter packages. When it arrived it had wood trim(nice) and HID lights(WOW) and the dealer didn't bang me extra for them -suprise!!
What most people don't consider in their budget is THE TAX. Ahh haaa:angry: that usually adds another $2K or so.
My dealer told me the plain jane models-cloth interior- would take 4 weeks as almost every G35 was sent with the luxury pkgs and other stuff - just like you said, so they can make their $$$.

E

Eric Kahn

As much as I like VW's, If you are going to buy one, get a 5 speed as VW auto's are fragile and expensive to replace because VW does not sell parts, just whole transmissions at about $2600 wholesale to the tranny shop
it also does not have a dipstick to check fluid level

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks