What's new

Time before it gets standard? (1 Viewer)

Tommie

Agent
How long time do you think it will take untill Audio DVD and the other high quaility formats will be standard?

And do you even think they will?

DVD dual layer is kind of standard now for movies...
and DVD has broken through real good.

But is disk's a old way?
i mean they get scratched quite easy :

Tommie

Agent
I am talking a lot of bullshit so I can post what I am really here to post :P

So i just wrote down my thoughts..

guess they where in a blure :P

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
They never will. They’re barely hanging on as it is. The reason is simple “marketplace physics,” for lack of a better term. The most voracious consumers of music are the people with the least sophisticated systems – i.e., teens and early 20-somethings. Conversely, audiophiles like us, with systems that can fully exploit the advantage of the multi-channel formats, represent a fairly small portion of the music-buying public.

For instance, I know of only two people in my circle of friends who even have a home theater system, and only one of them is into it enough to be interested in SACD or DVD-A. Personally I’m not interested in buying all my music all over again in yet another format, having already been throuh cassettes to LPs to CD's.

Making matters worse, many hard-core audiophiles are resistant to a format (or at least a mix) that places instruments in an unnatural position behind the listener. It certainly doesn't appeal to me. I do like DSP effects that add ambience and imitate a venue where you might go to see a group perform - to me that's a realsitic use of multi-channel. But you can get that with your receiver and a standard CD.

If DVD-A and SACD do manage to hang on, they will be at best a niche format. Others I'm sure have their own opinions on this, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Tommie

Agent
hehe okey, thanks =)

and no, buying all the music in new formats is not something i would do either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks