What's new

TIL Monoprice makes a tube amp (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It arrived today and it is a thing of beauty. I really like the way it pumps up the volume on low end, it really makes my closed back sennheisers sing. BUT when in Bluetooth mode it has a GNARLY mechanical hum (not like the normal warm hum of an amp, this sounds like modem buzzing).

Working on finding out if this can be fixed in software, in meantime I'm working on getting a stereo to mini cable to try that way.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I spoke to Rooster via twitter and he confirmed he does not have this electronic buzzing over bluetooth via his Android devices. Am going to have to find out if it's caused by my Apple devices or the unit itself. I'm also pushing Monoprice on it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Confirmed that there is no buzz on the headphone cable but only if I put the phone in airplane mode, so it seems like thexApple devices are the root cause. Still investigating

charleyp1

Agent
Real Name
Charley
This really is a sexy little beast. I'm going to have to pick one up. But I would love to hear more on the buzz issue. I'd be using Apple devices with it as well...

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Reading the reviews it seems that the buzzing is systemic and may not necessarily just be due to Apple devices:

Reviews

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yeah the second one buzzes just as bad =(

I've emailed MP asking them what they want me to do. If I intended to listen to it via stereo cable it wouldn't be so bad but I really wanna use it lying in my bed controlling it via iPhone without it being tethered.

Last edited:

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
Yeah the second one buzzes just as bad =(

I've emailed MP asking them what they want me to do. If I intended to listen to it via stereo cable it wouldn't be so bad but I really wanna use it lying in my bed controlling it via iPhone without it being tethered.

I have been real interested in this amp also and have read everything I can find on it. I don't have the post at hand (forgot where in cyberspace I read it) but someone took apart the Bluetooth module and added some sort of shielding to it, fixing the problem. If I can find the post, I will post back.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
Looks like I found it. A review on Monoprice's website talking about wrapping the Bluetooth module in EMI tape, whatever that is. I think I saw a more detailed fix elsewhere and will continue to look. See below:

Unit arrived functional without any cosmetic flaws. The sound is good but not great. You do get what you pay for however. The Bluetooth works but puts slight static/hum in the into the speakers for either input while it is connected. Removed bottom cover to find noise goes away when I put my hand between Bluetooth module and output transistors. Wrapped Bluetooth module in copper EMI tape and it fixed that.. Hooked up to $1k+ speakers and it sounds really good. Hooked up to Kef Q300's($600) it merely sounds good. It won't touch any high end equipment but it might find a home in the kids rooms because it looks cool. Guts are designed well minus the EMI shielding and it uses a big toroidal transformer so it has some heft. May play with rolling tubes to open the sound a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks