What's new

THX select or Ultra? (1 Viewer)

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
I was hoping to eventually buy a Pioneer elite vsx 49 txi eventually but now they have the vsx 55 txi. The 49 of course is Ultra certified but the 55 txi is select certified. The 49 goes for almost $4500.00 while the 55 goes for only $1500.00. My theater space has low ceilings from 6-7 feet and the width of the theater is only about 8 feet. The theater is very long however at almost 22 feet. The room is actually an L shape room and the theater is occupying the longer side of the L. I don't want to spend that much more money if the difference between the two recievers is going to be minimal. Any suggestions would be great.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Everything you ever wanted to know about THX:

THX

Personally, I wouldn't pay too much attention to these certifications. As you're probably aware, the manufacturers have to pay to have the certification. Plus, the certification only applies if you're also running THX certified speakers and components.

Finally, I'd go for the "55" if I were you. Chances are, you'll never even use all of the power that it has and still enjoy a good dialog with the movie you watch. Plus, since you are saving $3,000 on the purchase price, you could buy one heck of a power amp for that kind of money - if it was ever needed.

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
Gentlemen, thanks for the reply. I think I might just go witht he 55. That will leave me more money to upgrade my speakers to M&K 150 thx system. Right now I just have the 350 sub.

John, the MK 150THX series speakers are superb!

I have had enjoyed my set of seven plus the subwoofer for a number of years. Not once playing any DVD or CD have I been disappointed with the 150's.

I have no intention of ever upgrading them as they provide all of the depth and quality that I could hope for.

Good luck with your choices.

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Maurice! What do you think about the reciever? Should I just get the 55 (thx select certified) or should I wait and get the 49 TX which is Ultra certified?

John, both receivers have excellent features, power and component control. IMO, either would be a good choice to provide you with the THX experience.

However, cost might be an important consideration to you. If it is, then the recommendation posted by Mr Ernst should be heeded.

It is my practice to buy the best piece of equipment I can afford. If there is a specific brand and model I want and I have the funds, I buy it.

A number of years ago, I wanted a THX certified receiver. I could not find one that excited me. A few months later Denon delivered its AVR-4800 THX ULTRA to dealers, I rushed to buy one. It was much more expensive then others that were then available. I am not sorry that I bought it. The 4800 is an outstanding piece of equipment and I am well pleased with it. I consider my money well spent.

If you really want the newer more expensive receiver and you believe that it has "the" features you desire then buy it. Otherwise, as has been posted, buy the less expensive one and use the excess cash to further upgrade your system.

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the insight Maurice. I think I am going to go for the 55tx and use the extra cash for my M&K MX150 THX system. I already have the 350 sub but I think I might add a MX150 sub to the mix. I think the bass might dye out toward the end of the room from the MX350.

anth_c

Stunt Coordinator
One thing to consider is the M&K S-150's are 4 Ohm speakers. This presents a problem with some receivers.

Anthony

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Anth_C's post above is knowledge you should use. The 55txi may not be able to drive the 4 ohm M&k's up to the levels you wish. If you do go that route you should probably consider outboard amplication.

Keep also in mind that the newer Pioneers are going to come out in a few months as the current models are going on closeout now.

TimRP

Stunt Coordinator
If you have that much money I would go seperates, a B&K ref50 and your choice of 7 channels of amplification, wow...

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
I am not going to go with seperates. I simply can't afford it. I am not very good with the technichal aspects of alot of this stuff. I always figured that if I purchased all THX certified items, the theater would be of a very high quality. Can anyone reccomend a good reciever that would drive the MX150 THX speakers? I would prefer a reciever that is THX certified. Thanks

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If you can afford $4500 you can afford seperates.

Cost effective seperates start out at $1600 and go up from there. If you want THX seperates you are in the $4k range with the B&K setup or an Anthem setup which is Ultra 2.

Given the difficulty of the M&K's as far as how much power they need, you are better off with seperates because the amp section will be better then a receiver. The only reciever I'd trust to drive M&K's and be THX certified is the Denon 5803 and even then I wouldn't go with it.

FWIW, There is plenty of THX certified stuff that isn't all what its cracked up to be. You know what they say about assumptions right?

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
They make an ass of you and me. :) How about using something like Outlaw audio? They have a nice seperate system that is 7.1 that has all the bells and whissles for a great rice. Thanks for the feedback.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Their amps are pretty solid but their pre pro is not what I'd get personally. I'd personally get an upgradable prepro like the Sherwood or the Rotel which runs approximately $1400-$1600 then buy an amp(the outlaw is very nice).

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
John:

I have been running the 950/770 combo from Outlaw for over a year now and couldn't be happier. No it is not THX certified but that doesn't matter. The Outlaw 950 at $799 is the best bang for your buck out there. The 90 lb. 770 at 200 watts per channel x 7 is unbelieveable.

Give them a call and have them send you that set up to play around with in your own home. The have a very generous return policy (if you would want to return it for some reason) and their customer service is right up there with the best of them. At just under $2,400 this will leave you plenty of money to get the 150s. In addition I would check out an SV Subwoofer to go with your set up. For what you would pay for the 150 sub you could get a killer SV Subwoofer that would more than fill up your room with solid bass.

Parker

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
Peter, thanks for all the great advise. What do you mean by a SV sub? Right now I have an MX350 THX and it rocks the house! I do want to add another sub because the listening area is very long (21 feet). I was thinking the MX150 THX would go nicely. I think I am about to buy the MX550 THX ultra speakers for the rear of the room. Now I would just have to buy the front 3 and the 2 dipoles for the sides and I should have a kickass 7.1 system.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
John:

You better check out SV Subwoofers and take a look at what they offer.

Then give Ron or Tom an email and tell them what you are planning on doing. They will advise you on the best sub to compliment the system you are building and they may just tell you to stick with the MX150 would be your best option. Then again they may be able to rock the house even more for a lot less money.

There are plenty of reviews and recommendations on these subs in the Speakers area of the forum.

I have know Ron and Tom now for about 7 years and they are nothing but a class act and just like Outlaw they are THE best bang for your buck out there. With what you are going to spend on a system you can get some really great products for a lot less money.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks