What's new

THX needs some feedback (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Agreed on many points. I certainly wouldn't hold up single-chip DLP projectors as the transparent display device to represent an industry standard. But there are new displays on the way that go a long way to fixing many of the shortcomings of current 720P DLP *and* JVC LCOS machines. Sony's new Ruby 1080P SXRD has a good response time, excellent contrast/black level, and virtually invisible SDE even from a 1-screen-width viewing distance. Color rendition is virtually perfect with their Xenon bulb. Now that's a machine I think might help many discs reveal their most subtle nuances during evaluation.

In any case, if current direct-view CRT displays were sufficient for mastering, then why are such artifact-ridden DVD jobs leaving the studios in no short supply? As I stated before, perhaps if mastering engineers could be convinced to view them from 1.5 screen widths for critical evaluation of image quality, direct-view might suffice...but such practices don't seem to have taken root just yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks