1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Onkyo TX RZ810 Display

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Incloud, Feb 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Incloud

Incloud Auditioning

Bobby
    Hello forum, I am new here and am in hopes that I can get some positive feedback on my concerns regarding an Onkyo TX RZ810 AVR. I recently tore down my system using a Yamaha RX-V765 with Emotiva amps and SVS PB-2000 sub. Basically, the sound wasn't what I wanted and couldn't get it right so decided to just go with a newer receiver. I am running Polk Audio RTI A series speakers with RTI A5, CSI A6, and RTI A3 along with the SVS PB-2000 and now the Onkyo TX RZ810. So far the sound I am getting in music and movies blows away anything I've ever set up in the past.

Now I know this may seem ridiculous but I can not get the display on the receiver to display the decoder type it is playing. The only option I have found to display the decoder is to press the information button on the remote or receiver. Doing this will display the source audio type and how it is being output. Unfortunately, after a couple seconds it reverts to source type and won't stay on decoder. In other words it always shows BD/DVD, STRMBOX, CBL/SAT instead of Dolby Digital, DTS:X, and so on for each type. If this is by design than it seems that Onkyo needs to put a little common sense in design.

My Yamaha had a section for setting display to scroll, dimmer, and a few other options. Other than that the door on front of the Onkyo AVR does not stay closed all the way and slowly opens and lays down after you leave the system. There seems to be no magnets or other click/lock mechanism to keep the settings door shut.

Moral of the story is I am thinking about trading it in for a Yamaha Aventage but want to be sure I'm not being foolish as the Yamaha has a lot less power, no THX certification, and costs the same. Crutchfield suggested the RX-V683. I am looking at RX-A770. If this would be an entirely foolish move then please let me have it. There must be a way to make the Onkyo display what it's playing and not what you already know it's playing from. I stream most of my content and do not want to have to grab the remote and hit the tiny little button on it to see what format I am hearing. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration on this matter!

2. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    With AVRs from major brands, you are paying for features, not power (they are all about the same - 130 vs 95 is NOT that big of a difference). If Yamaha has the features you want (and you are more comfortable with its design), go with Yamaha.

I have an older Onkyo that I no longer use so I can't remember what the display looked like. I guess my question is "why do you care?". For me, I only care that it gets it right when the movie starts. After that, I don't want to see it any more (in fact, I turn the brightness down as low as it can go on the front of the receiver).

3. Incloud

Incloud Auditioning

Bobby
    I guess I just want to know that it gets it right without having to navigate the remote to see what is playing. Plus DTS:X excites me more than CBL/SAT.

4. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    Nothing wrong with that. :cheers:

Check out the Yamaha then and see if it does what you want. I don't think you will notice much difference in the sound. Of course only you can determine that so give it a good listen before you decide.

5. Incloud

Incloud Auditioning

Bobby
    Thanks! Crutchfield offered to send me the receiver to audition and pick between the two and send whichever back within 2 weeks. I presume I'll contact them tomorrow and give it a go. Still, it surprises me that Onkyo would not have such a simple feature by default. Almost a no brainer in my opinion. Thanks for your feedback!