1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

THX – What does it mean for my equipment?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Aggelos, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Aggelos

Aggelos Auditioning

Hello to all

Currently building my first real home theater, I am thinking of buying Denon’s AVC-A1SR multichannel AV amplifier, which, among others, sports the THX Ultra 2 certification.

Since I don’t know too much about Audio/Video, I just know that being THX Certified is something good for a component. But how does THX really work? Is it something like Dolby Digital or DTS (I am sure I have seen somewhere THX Surround EX or sth like that)? Since I am thinking of buying the Denon THX amplifier, should I also get THX Speakers, THX DVD player etc?

With the loudspeakers being the most important aspect of the system – as I keep hearing – the question is really important about the loudspeakers I am going to purchase. Should I opt for THX loudspeakers? In what aspects are they better (or worse) than non-THX loudspeakers?

Looking forward to your replies

Best Regards

Angelos, the CthulhuPhile

p.s.: Excuse my poor use of English, it isn’t my native tongue

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

You do not need to purchase all THX gear. Chances are that a THX receiver will be pretty good -- and that Denon should certainly be good -- but you can also get great equipment that is not THX certified. The certification process is expensive, so many companies do not do it.

It is not necessary to get THX speakers and DVD player. Just do your research and listen to lots of speakers and get what sounds good to you. A great example of this is that George Lucas uses speakers in his studio that are not technically THX certified -- but I'd say the fact that he uses them means they are BEYOND certification standards.

3. Aggelos

Aggelos Auditioning

God, that's funny! One would think that Lucas would give those speakers a certification for free - since he obviously approoves of them. Yet, that ain't the way to make a billion bucks...

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Or that the cert is pretty limited when it comes to high-end speakers. You won't really find any high-end speakers THX certified.