What's new

Thoughts on recent changes in Blu-Ray Copy Protection. (1 Viewer)

Samcor

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Cockayne
Originally Posted by Cees Alons
Are you sure those files are indeed all part of the normal, standard stream of the movie?

They are indeed, I've confirmed the contents. 100% certain of it.

I also agree that I am probably sensitive to it now but all I'm looking for is smooth playback of the film I purchased. Surely that's not asking for too much. I have 160 Blu-rays that are smooth and suddenly whammo, some that aren't just because the studios are trying to one up pirates. Unfortunatly while it did bug them at first, software designed for ripping the movies off the disc have already gotten around this method so now it stands only to tick me off.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I did not notice any of these stuttering playback issues with Toy Story 3 on my Sony BDP-S350. I cannot try any of the other titles you listed, though, as I do not own any.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
If those bits are at the start I'd have guessed they were branches for foreign language versions of credits ("avec" instead of "with" for example).

Samcor

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Cockayne
Originally Posted by Dennis Maricic (Use the free option to download the file)

Basically look at the boys right arm (left side of the screen) as he walks in the room. Theres a microsecond glitch almost like a dropped frame where the motion isn't quite smooth. There's a file branch (split) right at that moment. (about 11 sec mark on the clip)

I apologise for the poor quality but it's the best I can do with the camera equipment I have. This is by no means as bad as it can get but this is typicle of what they look like. It is obviously more noticeable live.

Also if your thinking of jumping straight to that scene and expecting to see the same you likely wont. I have to play the movie from the start in order for it to cause the glitch at this point, I've been able to replicate it on this spot 4 times using the BDP-S350. I think the fact that it's mid walk makes it more obvious.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Samcor

Different brands seem to have different quirks, which may (or may not) get better with firmware updates. Some Samsung players don't handle branching well. Some Panasonics have longer load times for complex discs than other players do. Some PS3s have had problems with the occasional TV on Blu release.

Now, I could be totally off-base here. Others in this thread with Sony players, including your exact model, aren't having the same problem. But the first thing I'd try to do in your shoes would be to try the disc in a totally different brand player and see if the problems persist.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Sounds like a PAL/NTSC setting of some sort.

Happened to me when I set up new plasma.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks