What's new

Thoughts on Buffy: Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The promotional artwork that was sent out was a different picture than ended up on the cover

Wish they'd get the guy who does the X-Files boxes to do these. Guess it's a little late in the name of conformity

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I like the artwork that they ended up going with.
Actually, Buffy's on 3 of the discs.
Xander is on 2, Willow is on 1, and Spike is on the other one. :)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
We've already determined that I can't count :b, so that must be why I can't find that seventh disc with another picture of Xander. ;)
I just realized who else got left out - Cordy! I guess they're trying to make us forget she used to be on this show. Or maybe it's another attempt by Greenwalt to get us to watch Angel. :D

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
I'm finally getting around to seeing the Season 2 episodes that I missed on FX, but I'll just add a shout out for a couple of my favorite lighter episodes, "Halloween" and "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered."
Halloween is a lighter episode ??
I suppose it depends what you mean by "light".
It's a comedy series (although there is plenty of action, drama, tragedy, etc.).
Since the episode Halloween is of great signficance to the series as a whole, I can't think of it as "light". That episode changes everything, and signals the change from a mostly episodic "monster of the week" series to a more complicated and intersting "arc" series.
It also remains one of the better episodes of TV to date.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
One interesting note.
This appears to be the version we got on DVD in the US.
Turns out, BECOMING part 1 has 2 different openings.
Each one is spoken by a different person.
David Boreanaz, and Max Perlich.
The DVD has the opening by Max Perlich, however, I was watching the version I downloaded and put on CD a year ago, and it was with David Boreanaz speaking. It appeared to be a DVD rip from another region. Because I noticed some PAL speedup in a few scenes.
Anyone know why there are 2 versions?
www.buffyguide.com had some info, but no reason why.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I love the show..... definately my favorite show on tv today! I think they did great with the set! I watched the whole set in 2 days!:D
Now I have to go back and rewatch the episodes with the comentary tracks!
Pete

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Turns out, BECOMING part 1 has 2 different openings.
Yes! The UK DVD definitely has Boreanaz narrating, but I'm pretty sure the broadcast TV version had the other guy. Now I can't remember who it is on the VHS. I'll have to find out next time I'm at my mates' house - they have all my video boxed sets!!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Dave F,
I noticed the SAME thing on Season 1 re: combing.
They are flagged for FILM for some reason, which is idiotic since they were edited on VIDEO. So there are combs aplenty at most of the edits. I placed a post re: this when I got season 1. I was HOPING they would have fixed this for season 2. :frowning:
Can you manually put your player in VIDEO mode? That will eliminate the combs on the edits, but ironically will cause the credits to shimmer!!!
Peace! D

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Did anyone notice that the picture became much worse during Episode 2 on Disc 1 ("Some Assembly Required")? It occurs in chapter 6 when they are searching through the lockers. The picture was consistent with how it has been on other episodes, and then for a brief period of time it gets much darker and extremely grainy (more than at any other times).

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Yeah, when you have a POV shot from the locker - lots of black. Looks bloody awful.:frowning:

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Well, I had to return my set, the first DVD was completely defective and refused to play in my Sony, but the other five were fine.
But, I watched the Marti Noxon and Joss Whedon commentaries first :D. Shame Wal-Mart had no replacements, but I'll pick it up eventually to own.
Seriously, worth buying for Joss's commentary. I wish they'd force him to do a minimum number of episodes, say, four, on each set. He's absolutely hilarious. Marti Noxon's is amusing as well, but Joss just steals the show :)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I noticed the SAME thing on Season 1 re: combing.
They are flagged for FILM for some reason, which is idiotic since they were edited on VIDEO.
Man, that bites. I hope they eventually get this fixed. I hate having to watch my TV DVD's on my Xbox. :frowning:
On a happier note, has anyone come up with a nifty neato keepcase cover suitable for one of the 6 disc keepcases at Inetdvd.com?
-Dave

Will Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
Hehe, I might be in a minority, I actually enjoyed David Greenwalt's commentary on "Reptile Boy". I think commentaries are the best special feature a DVD can have next to deleted scenes and alternate endings. That said I don't listen to them very often so I don't have much to compare too. My favorite commentary so far was Bruce Campbells on Evil Dead and that was so good I figured it wasn't fair to compare anyone elses to that one. :)
I have not yet listened too Marti Noxon's or Joss Whedon's, but I thought David Greewalts commentary did a good job helping you get a feel for how the show came to be. I got a sense of how they worked on putting a show together with a low budget. When he was explaining about how they only had one night to shoot all the "frat guy" house scenes, and how close some of my favorite stuff in that episode came to being cut out due to lack of time. I loved all the Xander stuff in this episode so I am glad they planned things out well enough to squeeze it in. That is interesting stuff to me.
Then again, I am a self-admitted Buffy fanatic. I could be listening with rose colored glasses and just ignoring any lamities that come along because they are drowned out by the blinding greatness of the serries as a whole. When you are a devout worshiper it is sometimes hard to look upon your worshipee with the eyes of an unbeliever. It does tend to cloud your judgment. :)
I am very impressed with just about everyhing else about this release. I like the menu's and menu structure. When I first saw the second season it was on a WB station that did not come in well, and then on poorly taped VHS tapes. With that history, the video looked awesome too me. I did not really notice the video quality that much so I don't want to comment on it much. I was more entrawlled with the contet of each episode and when you take that into consideration then this is definately a package worth picking up. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks