What's new

Those of you who did the SVS Driver upgrade for your old CS model ............. (1 Viewer)

Greg S

Supporting Actor
What differences did you notice??

Just louder??

Better rounded sound??

More slam??

Obviously I expect your answers to be subjective so let me hear it.

Thanks

Greg

Dave Koch

Stunt Coordinator
I did it. BIG improvement.

When I got my SVS, I was expecting a LOT. I got # 27, I think, so it was pretty early on in the PC line, but I had read a ton of great things about the CS line.

So I hooked it all up, Rat Shacked the levels, and started blasting away. I was very surprised that it bottomed out all over Toy Story 2 open... and a couple others. Most things sounded great, but TS2 and a couple others showed weaknesses.

So part my fault- high expectations, part playing at reference, part a big room, and part only one SVS. So, I turned things down (after all, who can REALLY watch at reference?) and everything was fine.

Anyway, so along comes this upgrade, and I figure why not?

Bottom line is now I can play TS2 open AT REF in the same room with NO BOTTOMING!

I can sit here all day and tell you how it is better or whatever, but to me, that shows the improvement. And I do not rely on my hearing or tastes.... there is a verifiable improvement!

So, I say, go for it. The worst that could happen is you ship it back! But you won't.... you WILL hear/feel a difference.

Ned

Supporting Actor
I would say it added a good 6db of headroom especially in the lowest 20-30hz range. The old driver sounded just a tad "lean" in the 40-80hz range. The new one sounds a bit more full but still controlled. It's well worth the small cost.

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
I measured about 5-6 dB more headroom. The sub always sounded good but did bottom out on very demanding passages. No problem with the new driver at even louder levels.

Walt N

Second Unit
I'm also gonna have to go with choice #1. If you need the extra headroom, it's well worth it as it's the equivelant of adding another original SVS sub to your rig.

I needed the extra headroom and the new drivers delivered big time. I'm very pleased that SVS offered this upgrade.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I upgraded. I got more headroom, and a much tighter bass sound. Too tight in the beggining, actually, but the driver has loosened up now and it sounds wonderful.

Earl J

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with everyone here. This upgrade was well worth it. Had some bottoming issues with TS2 and other dvds before the upgrade when listening at reference. Now it's not a problem and the bass is more tighter and controlled.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Earl

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Tighter, deeper, louder. With the new driver you can have all three. Like Dave, my 20-39CS would bottom out on the opening in TS2 if I pushed it close to reference level. The new driver allows reference plus!

Let me put it another way. My wife, who does not sweat the details of our HT setup, even noticed the difference!

Even without the trade-in offer the upgrade is a must. The trade-in offer makes it pretty much a no-brainer IMO.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Hope you pulled the trigger, Greg, because April 30 was the deadline for qualifying for the rebate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks