What's new

This is Cinerama and Windjammer trailers for the digital remastering are now posted on you tube (1 Viewer)

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Cinemiracle was an essentially compatible process to Cinerama which had a few improvements. Windjammer was mostly shown in Cinerama theatres and, in fact, Cinemiracle was bought by the Cinerama company.
There was also a Russian made film called Russian Adventure. See:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0219592/
This was filmed in Kino-Panorama, which was yet another process compatible with Cinerama. Russian Adventure was also shown in Cinerama theaters.
It is my understanding that much of Russian Adventure has been found and is being restored as well.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
rsmithjr said:
Cinemiracle was an essentially compatible process to Cinerama which had a few improvements. Windjammer was mostly shown in Cinerama theatres and, in fact, Cinemiracle was bought by the Cinerama company.
There was also a Russian made film called Russian Adventure. See:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0219592/
This was filmed in Kino-Panorama, which was yet another process compatible with Cinerama. Russian Adventure was also shown in Cinerama theaters.
It is my understanding that much of Russian Adventure has been found and is being restored as well.
Music from Russian Adventure -
No sound but, you can see video -
Before and after restoration of The Golden Head and Cinerama's Russian Adventure - http://www.in70mm.com/news/2011/remaster_2/index.htm
Yes, Russian Adventure is being restored digitally.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
lukejosephchung said:
"This Is Cinerama" on blu-ray/DVD is now available for pre-order at Amazon.com!!! Their current price at the webpage is $35.96, and street date is September 25th!!!:jawdrop: :dance:
Lets see if they come down to Flicker Alley price of $29.96.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
I've added it to my wish list, but, before purchasing, I'll wait to see if they eliminate the seams as well as they did for How the West Was Won.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Joe Bernardi said:
I've added it to my wish list, but, before purchasing, I'll wait to see if they eliminate the seams as well as they did for How the West Was Won.
No, the seams will be more visible than HTWWW but less than when they were shown in the theatres originally. Check out the trailers on Flicker Alley

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
The trailer had some ugly non-matches at the seams (I remember the scene at Horseshoe Falls was one). If this is representative of the final product, I may skip this purchase.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
If the other travelogues are released on Blu-ray in the future you will see the seams in some scenes more than others.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Since they are mastering these from 70mm composites made decades ago they are not going to look anywhere near as good as they could if they were to go back to the original three strips and composite them with modern tools. It's a shame, but obviously no one wants to finance a proper home video presentation.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I saw This Is Cinerama in 2K DCP Digital Smilebox at the BFI Southbank and i was not impressed with the picture on the screen in NFT 3, i hate to think how this would look on the Cinerama screen in
Bradford.
The week before i saw the new 3 panel version at Bradford fantastic pic and sound but this film is so dated.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Mark B said:
Since they are mastering these from 70mm composites made decades ago they are not going to look anywhere near as good as they could if they were to go back to the original three strips and composite them with modern tools. It's a shame, but obviously no one wants to finance a proper home video presentation.
Windjammer is from a 35mm composite print. If the other travelogues are released on Blu-ray, Cinerama's Russian Adventure will be from a 65mm negative, Seven Wonders of the World, Cinerama Holiday and South Seas Adventure from the original 3-strip negatives, don't know about Search for Paradise. Grimm will be done by Warner Brothers, if they ever decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks