What's new

3D Third Dimensional Murder short on TCM (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
It was on TCM yesterday in anaglyph 3D. It said to put the red over the right eye, which I did and looked terrible. I tried switching red to left eye and still looked bad.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
If each eye element still exists, it would be great to see this restored (properly lined up vertically and horizontally) in polarized and active-vision 3D (and, yes, even Anaglyph).

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
That's the only anaglyph I've ever seen where the red goes over the right eye. I always thought red/left was some sort of unbreakable commandment.
It used to be on YouTube and it really did look awful either way.

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
I used to own an anaglyphic print of Third Dimensional Murder in Super 8. I showed it at work one year for our office Halloween party. I thought people would be impressed to see a 3-D film from so long ago, but most folks reacted with polite but subdued enthusiasm.

The film suffers from too much parallax. Even in presentations with near-optimal color, transmission and cancellation are hugely problematic. The other two M-G-M shorts, while perhaps not perfect, are models of disciplined stereography compared to Third Dimensional Murder. But at least the film has energy and entertainment value.

Third Dimensional Murder (or portions thereof) was presented in non-anaglyphic black-and-white Polaroid stereo at one of the Expos, and maybe more than one. I know for a fact I was privileged to see it that way, I just can't recall how many times.

As for an inviolable "red left" anaglyph standard, there have been exceptions. I have heard that the late Dan Symmes was a vocal advocate for "red right" anaglyph. The Hondo TV broadcasts in the early 1990s (overseen by Symmes) used a "red right" scheme. More by happenstance than by design, my own interference filter+anaglyph hybrid glasses are "red right."

Last edited:

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Always been fond of 3D Murder and also have my loved Super 8 sound film. Parts of it are quite good and the sort of Universal horror theme holds it together. Twas the first short sound 3D film I got many moons ago. Nice to hear its had an airing thanks to TCM.

If the film materials were available it would be wonderful to have this on a compilation Blu-Ray in 3D. Its up on Vimeo if anyone's not seen it yet.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
It was on again after Dial M For Murder. The first two images are OK but for the rest, the red and blue are just too far apart. Maybe the 3D Film Archive could fix it before TCM shows it again?

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1206.JPG

IMG_1207.JPG

IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1211.JPG

Last edited:

whyme?

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael mcgee
It was on TCM yesterday in anaglyph 3D. It said to put the red over the right eye, which I did and looked terrible. I tried switching red to left eye and still looked bad.
It's a surviving anaglyph print that needs to be realigned ,like a day in the country was, which was shot before 3D murders. The first volume of 3 .D Shorts from flicker alley the scene that were sold to MGM were straightened out in polaroid. As to why Bob Furmanek did not include 3D murder is a question mark.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
It's a surviving anaglyph print that needs to be realigned ,like a day in the country was, which was shot before 3D murders. The first volume of 3 .D Shorts from flicker alley the scene that were sold to MGM were straightened out in polaroid. As to why Bob Furmanek did not include 3D murder is a question mark.

Third Dimensional Murder is owned by Warner and was/is not available for licensing, as far as I remember Bob saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks