What's new

Thinking about a new remote... (1 Viewer)

Andre F

Screenwriter
I hope this is the correct forum for this question. After seeing the Sony RM-AV3000 I got to thinking how I could use a new remote for my HT. I currently have the Sony RM-AV2100 in 2000 and really like it. Does anybody have the AV3000? If so do you like it? I think the price is very reasonable at $140.00 if you shop around. My last question is about remote other remotes. Am I missing out my not getting a Pronto or something else?
-Andre F

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
Andre,
While I won't give you any advise on the Sony remotes, I can tell you that after being very reluctant to pay the cash for the pronto, & now using it for about 2 or so years now I have absolutely no regrets.
I love the pronto & now could not imagine using anything less.
I did get a great deal on it at the time.

Unless you need more hard buttons, or can't spare the cash, the pronto is unbeatable imo.
Extremely customizable, download complete set-ups, files & remote codes.
Pronto has a huge user base to share files with.
The possibilities are just about limitless.
I just added the X10 command center to control lighting in my home via the pronto.
Look around for a deal on a pronto.

Todd

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Pronto's rock. One of my best investments - you can make your HT user friendly for most other people who might use it. It's a tweakers dream - I'll admit that I'm not the biggest Pronto geek, but there are some people who've really put some time in and have some great looking setups. Check out www.remotecentral.com

John Sully

Stunt Coordinator
The RM AV-3000 is basically a refinement of the earlier Sony remotes. If your current remote meets your needs, the I would not recommend getting one. However, if it does not -- if your system is too hard to use with your current remote -- a member of the Pronto family is probably just the ticket.

However, you have to be willing to put some time into programming your Pronto. It is not a difficult process, but it does require a lot of trial and error to make sure everything is just right. BTW, I'm one of the bums who has really put a lot of time into his Pronto...

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Andre: I think John has hit the nail on the head. The 3000 does bring a few new enhancements to the table. It's unquestionably easier to use in the dark, thanks to it's few extra hard keys. But it isn't hugely different from what you're now using.
If you like touchscreens, then the Pronto series is the best bargain on the planet. It is literally infinitely customizable. This can be a huge benefit if you have users in your household who aren't techies. You can set up pages for them to run the whole setup with just a button press or two. But, like John also says, customizing a Pronto to this level takes time. (The one advantage you would have is that many users have already taken that path. You can almost certainly use some of their already completed designs to save your setup time. Remote Central is THE place to get Pronto help, not to mention it also being a good resource on the Sony 3000.)
The only other thing I'll throw at you is that there is always the hard button approach (NO touchscreen.) This type of remote is my personal favorite. It brings the advantage of remote control use that doesn't require you to look at the darned thing every single time you use it. I posted as HAN at Digital Theater on this thread a few weeks back with my choices as hard button remotes...http://www.digitaltheater.com/cfb/in...estTimeout=500 (BTW, as an update, the Cinema 7 I mention has been repaced by the One-For-All model 8811. Still a very good remote but it has a poorer key layout than the old Cinema 7.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks