What's new

Thin Man & Shop Around the Corner - any reviews yet ? (1 Viewer)

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Warner will be releasing these two classics on 10/1 which is a little more than a week away. Has anyone managed to get their hands on these titles and if so, can they comment on the picture and sound quality ? I am curious to know if either of these titles was digitally restored by Lowry Digital Images.

These two DVDs along with Paramount's November releases (Sunset Boulevard, Roman Holiday, etc) are among my most eagerly anticipated releases for the rest of this year.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I don't think The Thin Man was restored by LDI. It's probably another excellent UCLA (Bob Gitt) restoration. (UCLA also did restorations for Casablanca, Arsenic and Old Lace, and The Maltese Falcon)

As for the Paramount titles...I've heard LDI did some restoration for Paramount, but no titles are known. I suspect To Catch A Thief was restored by them since it is in presumably poor condition.

I hope Paramount uses a nitrate print for Sunset Blvd., as does WB for The Thin Man and The Shop Around the Corner. Nitrate glow is beautiful to look at... (but don't keep it any warmer or humid than needed...)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If the first disc sells well then perhaps the others will be released. It's all about profit margin for each dvd release.

Crawdaddy

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
It's all about profit margin for each dvd release
If that is the hard truth, then I say that the Studios should raise the price of DVDs. Start at say, $34.99 as a base price. That might help increase their profits & maybe help finance more disks with those extras that are said to cost a lot. Plus it might help drive away the J6Pers who cannot afford to pay that much, & consequently it might decrease the influence they have over Wal-Mart(a company now crowned as the controller of the DVD world). I used to pay $34.99 & up for LDs. But I for the most part I got what I wanted from the Studios with expensive LDs, widescreen LDs & catalog titles.
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks