Thin Man & Shop Around the Corner - any reviews yet ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Deepak Shenoy, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

Warner will be releasing these two classics on 10/1 which is a little more than a week away. Has anyone managed to get their hands on these titles and if so, can they comment on the picture and sound quality ? I am curious to know if either of these titles was digitally restored by Lowry Digital Images.

These two DVDs along with Paramount's November releases (Sunset Boulevard, Roman Holiday, etc) are among my most eagerly anticipated releases for the rest of this year.

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I don't think The Thin Man was restored by LDI. It's probably another excellent UCLA (Bob Gitt) restoration. (UCLA also did restorations for Casablanca, Arsenic and Old Lace, and The Maltese Falcon)

As for the Paramount titles...I've heard LDI did some restoration for Paramount, but no titles are known. I suspect To Catch A Thief was restored by them since it is in presumably poor condition.

I hope Paramount uses a nitrate print for Sunset Blvd., as does WB for The Thin Man and The Shop Around the Corner. Nitrate glow is beautiful to look at... (but don't keep it any warmer or humid than needed...)

3. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I hope we will be seeing the rest of the Thin Man (and all other Powell-Loy) films released soon.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    If the first disc sells well then perhaps the others will be released. It's all about profit margin for each dvd release.

Crawdaddy

5. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer