What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: Paramount Presents! The Greatest Show On Earth (1952) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
At least a Commentary and a Trailer would have been welcome. Who cares about Leonard Maltin and his opinion ?

Maltin's intros to various movies are not especially informative, and he seems a little too goody-two-shoes to be much of a resource. However, keep in mind that, in the past, Maltin has been instrumental in getting us Disney compilations on DVD, especially the highly collectable double-disc Walt Disney Treasures tins.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
And I’ve asked Criterion several time about releasing HAMLET, with no answer. I don’t think they care to release it.[...].
To BD or not to BD,
that is the Criterion question.:rolleyes:

As for The Greatest Show on Earth?
It’s just a damned good piece of entertainment.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Day One and thrilled.:)

Last edited:

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I've noticed there some streaming platforms are showing TGSOE in 1.85. iTunes has the correct aspect ratio....I can't wait for the blu ray.
I watched it a few day's ago on Amazon Prime. Yes, it was in 1.85. also. :confused: PQ was not Sharp. If it was made two years later in 1954 it would have been in Vistavision. :) It would have looked as good as The Ten Commandments. The New Paramount Remaster will look Excellent. Can't wait to see it. :D

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
To BD or not to BD,
that is the Criterion question.:rolleyes:

As for The Greatest Show on Earth?
It’s just a damned good piece of entertainment.:)

Day One and thrilled.:)
I read somewhere that TGSOE was one of Oscar’s biggest gaffes, with voting it best picture of 1952. I forget where I read that. I saw the film once and enjoyed it, but agreed with the dissenters, and feel High Noon was the deserving film that year

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've noticed there some streaming platforms are showing TGSOE in 1.85. iTunes has the correct aspect ratio....I can't wait for the blu ray.
Back in 2017/2018, iTunes had the "Iconic 1950s Film Collection" on sale for 19.99. I got the following movies in that deal:

1. To Catch a Thief
  2. Houseboat
  3. A Place in the Sun
  4. War and Peace
  5. The Greatest Show on Earth
  6. Sunset Boulevard
  7. Funny Face
  8. The Country Girl
  9. Sabrina
  10. Invasion of the Body Snatchers
IMO, one of my best HD digital purchases.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Thank You. The last RB&BBC I saw was at Madison Square Garden. But we always had a tent circus in my town when I was a kid.
1615770685596.png

only ran for one season, 1999-2000, and was blessed to be stationed at Great Lakes Naval Training Center at that time, so one wonderful night, the family and myself were transported back to the wonder of a real circus under a tent.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I saw two shows under the tent. The next one I saw was in a baseball stadium and it rained so the high wire and many of the trapeze acts were cancelled. The next shows I saw were in a indoor arena.

I really do enjoy this movie. I first saw it on a re-release in the late 60’s and thought it was wonderful. I still do and can’t wait to watch the Blu-ray.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Well it only took nearly four months for iTunes to FINALLY upgrade to the new master. Now I can finally watch this thing. I didn’t want to watch it until I had digital access to the same transfer that’s on the disc. I’m not holding out for 4K though because Paramount doesn’t appear to be forthcoming in that regard.

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
another Vite for Ordinary People, especially si ce Redford, Hutton and Sutherland are still around for commentary. Wish they had done this when Mary Tyler Moore was st

Ah the circus genre! I prefer Jumbo myself. I mean Billy Rose’s Jumbo as nothing beats Doris Day on a trapeze with the possible exception of Joan Crawford as the ring mistress in Berserk!
But seriously I think Trapeze is a pretty good circus film too.
I will get this only because I collect all Best Film Oscar winners. Hopefully Around the World in 80 Days is next.
That's the only reason I bought it too, Best Picture 1952, which still boggles the mind. Winning over "High Noon", and that year "Singin' in the Rain" and "The Bad and the Beautiful" weren't even nominated.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I read somewhere that TGSOE was one of Oscar’s biggest gaffes, with voting it best picture of 1952. I forget where I read that. I saw the film once and enjoyed it, but agreed with the dissenters, and feel High Noon was the deserving film that year

I agree with this assessment. But did anyone here ever attend a true Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey circus at Madison Square Garden as a mesmerized kid? I did, a number of years. The smells (peanuts, animal shit, cotton candy, sawdust), the anticipation, the sight of trained tigers and elephants, clowns -- really GOOD clowns like Emmett Kelly -- the ringmaster, the highwires, the parades...what an experience! With age I grew to realize the animals were often maltreated out of sight of us, and I'm guessing a bunch of animal acts have been dropped in recent years under protest. But I am fortunate to have had the experience. THE GREAT SHOW ON EARTH is a mediocre film in the company of most other Oscar nominees/winners, but it's the closest to being able to relive the days spent at the circus in the 50's and 60's.

I don't know what happened to the first 8 "fascinating facts," but that's a nice article.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
Ironically, I always thought Irwin Allen's imitation of GREATEST SHOW, 1959's THE BIG CIRCUS, provided a more enjoyable bit of Hollywood 'big tent' fluff. With Gilbert Roland's walk across Niagara Falls the main attraction, CIRCUS was charmingly directed by "master of Technicolor" Joseph M. Newman (THIS ISLAND EARTH, RED SKIES OF MONTANA, etc.), and the cast is wonderful: Roland, Victor Mature, Rhonda Fleming, Vincent Price and Peter Lorre (their first pairing), Red Buttons, Kathryn Grant, David Nelson... even Howard (Floyd the barber) McNear, the very same year he played a doctor discussing sexual fluids and rape in ANATOMY OF A MURDER.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Ironically, I always thought Irwin Allen's imitation of GREATEST SHOW, 1959's THE BIG CIRCUS, provided a more enjoyable bit of Hollywood 'big tent' fluff. With Gilbert Roland's walk across Niagara Falls the main attraction, CIRCUS was charmingly directed by "master of Technicolor" Joseph M. Newman (THIS ISLAND EARTH, RED SKIES OF MONTANA, etc.), and the cast is wonderful: Roland, Victor Mature, Rhonda Fleming, Vincent Price and Peter Lorre (their first pairing), Red Buttons, Kathryn Grant, David Nelson... even Howard (Floyd the barber) McNear, the very same year he played a doctor discussing sexual fluids and rape in ANATOMY OF A MURDER.
Yes, I like The Big Circus too. I saw it when it first came out, loved it and was glad to buy the DVD-R.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I agree with this assessment. But did anyone here ever attend a true Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey circus at Madison Square Garden as a mesmerized kid? I did, a number of years. The smells (peanuts, animal shit, cotton candy, sawdust), the anticipation, the sight of trained tigers and elephants, clowns -- really GOOD clowns like Emmett Kelly -- the ringmaster, the highwires, the parades...what an experience! With age I grew to realize the animals were often maltreated out of sight of us, and I'm guessing a bunch of animal acts have been dropped in recent years under protest. But I am fortunate to have had the experience. THE GREAT SHOW ON EARTH is a mediocre film in the company of most other Oscar nominees/winners, but it's the closest to being able to relive the days spent at the circus in the 50's and 60's.

I don't know what happened to the first 8 "fascinating facts," but that's a nice article.
I went to RBBBC as a child in Baltimore and I’ll never forget my brother got a chameleon on a tiny chain that he pinned to his t shirt- I got a balloon being younger. When we got home the chameleon actually bit him as it must have been under such distress.
And no wonder many of us got ADD eventually after trying to watch 3 rings all at once!!
Ah the good ole days!?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I went to RBBBC as a child in Baltimore and I’ll never forget my brother got a chameleon on a tiny chain that he pinned to his t shirt- I got a balloon being younger. When we got home the chameleon actually bit him as it must have been under such distress.
And no wonder many of us got ADD eventually after trying to watch 3 rings all at once!!
Ah the good ole days!?

No shit! I actually bought a "pet" chameleon at the New York circus, too! It got loose and no one could find it. But I had green wall paper with a light criss-cross pattern, and my little lizard had simply moved up the wall and stayed still for days, totally camouflaged. No more lizards as pets for me, per my mom!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks