What's new

Thief of Bagdad (1 Viewer)

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
I believe this has already been released. I'm in the Toronto area and I've yet to see it. Can anyone point me to a store that carries this title? Thanks.

-Mike

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I have yet to see it in Vancouver either and I've been looking.

Some of the MGM catalogue titles are only available via import in Canada. I'm not sure why...there really seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

Witness for the Prosecution is another....you'll never find it up here.

I'll probably end up ordering it online or having a US friend send me one when I can afford it.

I really wish there was a way of knowing whether these are available domestically in Canada or not. But I assume The Thief of Bagdad isn't as I have yet to see it.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
It was confirmed to me that they do not have Canadian rights to this title .

Terry St

Second Unit
Amazon.ca carries it, although it doesn't look like they actually stock it. (Ordred mine a week ago. It hasn't shipped yet) Amazon usually sucks for DVD prices, but I figured they'd be faster and cheaper than ordering from the states. I might have been wrong however.

It's a bit OT, but can anyone recommend some other good Canadian DVD sites for me to try next time I'm after a hard to get title? Besides online sites for various B&M stores like Future Shop, HMV, A&B, Chapters, etc. I don't really know of any besides amazon.ca and dvdsoon. I'm not particularily impressed with DVDSoon. Their prices are generally better than amazon, but they seem like a 2-bit outfit that keeps no stock on hand. I ordered some DVD's a couple weeks ago and their site tells me they expect them to reach their location in Eastern Canada sometime mid-March! Heaven only knows when they'll get here. The bastards took payment in advance too! I don't think I'll be dealing with them again.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
It's worth the money, even if you have to import it. This is one of the best-looking Technicolor transfers I've seen. Except for a few instances of mis-registration during some edits, the film looks like it was made yesterday. It was a pure delight to see this film again. It was one of my favorites as a child. It's also interesting to see how much Disney was influenced by the design of the film. A little too interesting. :crazy:

Eric F

Screenwriter
Yes. I just watched it. I was shocked at how excellent the transfer is. Everything is beautiful, the actors, the scenery. There's only a few small problems on the transfer. If anything it's too good. Movies like this were never made to be seen in such a clear medium- You can make out all the fabric backdrops, see all the wires, all the models look too fake. You can tell the outdoor shots are the Grand Canyon.:D

The only sad thing about this is it's such a barebones production. Yes, it's cheap, but it's such a good classic film it deserved at least a few interviews. Some nice art, an insert. Something.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks