What's new

Thhhpppfffttt!! BLOOM COUNTY movie on the way! (1 Viewer)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
It should be rated R right? At least PG13.
It was neither R nor PG-13 in the newspaper and managed to be plenty intelligent and witty. And naughty, too, through innuendo.

I'd rather have a film as clever as the strip than a film where we get to hear Opus use the f-word. Dancing around what you want to say is often funnier than actually saying it.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
It was neither R nor PG-13 in the newspaper and managed to be plenty intelligent and witty. And naughty, too, through innuendo.
I'd rather have a film as clever as the strip than a film where we get to hear Opus use the f-word. Dancing around what you want to say is often funnier than actually saying it.
Well, I wouldn't mind a PG-13 rating for the movie, since Bloom County did tackle some "adult" subject matter compared to most of the strips in the funny pages which were G-rated.
And characters did cuss in Bloom County, except it was garbled by the the traditional $#%&@*.
I can envision Steve Dallas dropping a few F-bombs.
:D

Stephen Heath

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a huge fan too, but have you read his website or interviews recently? I came away thinking "omg, he hates his old work, but he sure doesn't mind shlepping it for any buck he can get". He seems focused on stuff for KIDS now, and the absolute last thing I'd want to see is a "cutesy, fun" story without any biting satire :frowning:
Official Berke Breathed Web Page
And this is from hisOnion Interview :
O: Are there any plans to put your Bloom County and Outland books back into print?
BB: Why bother? Do a search at Amazon. But then, they're usually a little mildewed from sitting at the base of all those toilets in all those bathrooms throughout America during the '80s. Appreciate how this sort of legacy sits with a serious writer like myself.
O: Do you think the political issues you addressed at the time have dated the strips, or are they still as relevant today?
BB: That's why it'd be silly to reprint them. They have the half-life of a flounder laying on the back porch.
And from the same interview (might explain why Bill isn't announced :)
O: Do you have any lingering personal attachment to, or fondness for, to the comics medium?
BB: Sort of a nostalgic twinge, occasionally. I may live to see Opus live in a film. Soon as they see a franchise, of course.
Personally, as much as I love Opus & Bill, I DEFINATELY need there to be some Cutter John, some Milo, and most importantly, some Steve Dallas in there or I'm not gonna bother. Reading Berke's comments ruins what was a sacred thing... it's like God saying "omg, I wish I never wrote the bible, I was young... but since you're here, I'll sell you a "Moses" mug for $40"...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Just one Christmas Special, "A Wish For Wings That Work", which so far as I know everyone but Breathed loves. I think he also directed a short based on one of his books for Nickelodeon Pictures, but I don't know if anyone's actually seen it.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
yup! there's no need for this to be r-rated. i assume we could call his comic strips g-rated since anyone could read it.

it's all about subtetly (sp?), deep wit, and that great feeling you get from knowing the inside joke.

next up: calvin and hobbes....

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
next up: calvin and hobbes....
Sorry, but if Bill Watterson refuses to allow his characters to appear on T-shirts, coffee mugs, or any other merchandise, I sincerely doubt that we will ever see a Calvin and Hobbes movie while he's alive. Those characters will forever live in the funny pages and in reprint books.

And frankly, I don't mind that one bit.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
really? i used to see c&h stuff all the time in college. probably bootleg stuff....

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
Sorry, but if Bill Watterson refuses to allow his characters to appear on T-shirts, coffee mugs, or any other merchandise, I sincerely doubt that we will ever see a Calvin and Hobbes movie while he's alive. Those characters will forever live in the funny pages and in reprint books.
But what about all those great stickers of Calvin peeing on some car manufacturer's logo? :D

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Add me to the "Excited about it" list. I loved Bloom County in college. It is still the funniest strip I've ever read, and I find myself quoting things from it still to this day. (My dog is named Binkley)

However, I wish BB would simply write one more comic book rather than doing a movie. When I heard Opus' voice in the original cartoon, I was deeply disappointed. It wasn't him.

Let's hope Steve Dallas and the rest of the gang are included!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, I guess that's part of the reason that Breathed is less than satisfied with "A Wish For Wings That Work". IIRC, they tried just about every voice actor there was for Opus, right down to the last minute - the one listed in TV Guide wasn't even the one who eventually was used.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Bloom County is my favorite comic strip, ever. You can tell Breathed was getting burned out by the end of it, though. His strips - up until 1988 or so - usually featured incredibly detailed backgrounds, and solid charcaters. By the time of "Mary Kay Commandos", his backgrounds were sometimes just swooshes of ink strokes, with a rushed character in the foreground.

I'm reserved in my enthusiasm for a new once-a-week strip from him. I thought Outland was pretty weak, both in terms of graphics and writing. The concept of "Opus in Wonderland" didn't work for me, and "Reagan Ann" just wasn't funny, either as social satire or as a character.

If his batteries have been recharged, great. If he's still struggling, I say leave it alone.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
for the true BREATHED fans i recommend SECOND HAND LIONS.

the characters seemed to be right out of bloom county and the artwork drawn by the main character was drawn by breathed.

Gary>W

Auditioning
Let's not forget the Christmas Carols:

"Rudolph The Head Banging Reindeer"

and

"I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus, so I blew him away."

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks