What's new

Thhhpppfffttt!! BLOOM COUNTY movie on the way! (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
From JoBlo's Movie Emporium :
"Miramax Films has picked up the film rights to an animated movie based on the comic strip BLOOM COUNTY for their Dimension Films company to release. Artist and creator Berkeley Breathed will write and direct the film which will follow the misadventures of penguin Opus but its unknown if it will feature wacky Bill the Cat. Miramax picked the property up after viewing Breathed's first animated short EDWURD FUDWUPPER FIBBED BIG which features the voices of Frances McDormand and Haley Joel Osment."
OK, I own ALL the Bloom County books and I still consider it the greatest comic strip ever. The fact that B.B. will be writing and directing may be cause for celebration indeed.
:)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
good idea, bad idea, good idea, bad idea...
hard to be sure, but the strip was one of the funniest things of all time.
I will say this...No Bill, No Sale (hey, did I just make a pun) :)
besides, whom I kidding, I'd still check it out anyway.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
This was and is my favorite cartoon ever. At the time, when Breathed had opus walk off into the sunset, I was upset and saddened over what I thought ended prematurely.

After looking at what other cartoonists did by letting their series endure when they were long overdue (i.e., Peanuts and Calvin & Hobbes), I know he did the right thing. But one last swan song?

I always dreamed of a movie...can you imagine? The tech advances evident in Shrek and Pixar combined with the sardonic Opus and Bill? I'll get more goosebumps over this than LOTR.

Edit: Damn right it should be R, a hard R. Show Opus in all its glory, going ballistic by using his webbed feet and stomping over the roaches.

And the kid with his talking computer...incredible prescience. Aren't we all doing that now? At the time, the only thing I was doing with a computer was programming BASIC in middle school.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Well this is a fine, "How do you do!"

I also hope that they don't go soft in the movie and go for a wimpy PG or PG-13 rating. Bloom County had some of the most wicked satire of any comic in the 80s, and it would be a shame to see that laid to waste for the sake of the kiddies.

Since this topic has come up, do any of you remember the Christmas special called "A Wish for Wings That Work," which was based on the children's book by Breathed and starred our friends Opus and Bill the Cat. It was pretty good, and pretty funny. A little too cute to be a true Bloom County cartoon (the supporting characters were all based in the Outland strips), but there was some good stuff in it for adults.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Berkeley Breathed's work on Bloom County was the most brilliant comic strip ever. So on one level I'm thrilled to hear he might make a feature out if it. Then again...

...penning a daily strip is very different from an animated feature. BB writing? Great! BB directing? (We need a "cringe" smilie). I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Rob

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
I haven't seen LOTR yet and I...
Wait, this isn't a LOTR thread? :D
I too miss Bloom County very much. I will see this even if it is panned. And I know just by Breathed's style of cartooning (Outland included) that he won't cheese on the satire.
Very excited and surprised by this announcement.

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
This is again, odd news. I don't know how to think this may turn out. I wouldn't want anyone other than Mr. Breathed to helm this project. I still have my Opus walking off into the sunset cut out of the newspaper. Quite a sad day indeed. This makes it a happy day.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Well...

it's an interesting idea...

On the outset, I have to admit that I disliked about 95% of the stuff Bill the Cat was in.

I DID like the introduction, when he was trying to tie into the Garfield craze. I DID like the Cat Sweat hair tonic series.. and I DID like Bill the Cat as "Annie."

I much preferred Oliver and his Banana 9000jr; the Original Steve Dallas, Cutter John, and some of those extra special moments between Milo and his grandfather in the very early days.

Oh, well...

and as for BB directing? Hmmmm....

Leo

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Well, when I saw the header, I thought, noooooo! But seeing Breathed will write and direct, I have some hope that it might be the edgy, off the wall humor that was so beloved.

Speaking of strips that ended too soon, I keep the spark of hope that someday Bill Watterson will feel like coming back to Calvin and Hobbes, a strip that grows in my esteem (already very high) every time I revisit it. He really captured something special there. Anyone know what he's doing these days?

And finally, sad news for those who haven't heard: Liberty Meadows will end its newspaper run in a few weeks. Frank Cho says he's tired of the censorship issues and will move the strip to comic book format (where it's already quite successful in reprint form). Another reason not to read the comics, sigh.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I was also a huge fan of the Bloom County strip. It will be interesting to see how it translates into an animated feature. The effort to do this with another favorite strip of mine -- Dilbert -- failed miserably IMO.
My favorite strip was Steve Dallas discussing whom he would sue after he was beat up attempting to take a photograph of Sean Penn and Madonna. Not Opus -- "never sue poor people". Not Sean or Madonna -- never sue psychotic celebs who can beat you up. Sue the multi-million dollar Nippon camera company, because they did not print a clear warning on the camera to avoid photographing psycho celebs! :laugh:

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
I hope they show us some Deathtongue concert footage.
"...his favorite things are: Chicks, Chicks, Chicks and dough, but when it comes to drugs and alcohol this rock n roll party animal just says 'No'" :D

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Oh, my. This is one of my very favorite comic strips. I discovered this strip through my local library, quite a while after it left syndication. I could not BELIEVE how hilarious this strip was! How could some comic I'd never heard of be so funny? I remember laughing out loud at the "Geek radar" or whatever it was that went off right before Opus wandered by in a ridiculous getup. I would be ALL OVER this movie, and I'd be all over the strip if they started it up again.

-Tom

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
Somehow its not going to be the same that the subject of the humor will be shifting from Regan and Gorbechov to G.W. and Bin Laden. I seriously learned about world politics from this strip...I was 10

Forget Deathtoung...

BILLY AND THE BOINGERS FOREVER!!!!!!!!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
"What's a Boinger???"

"All this damage was done by a cat, a bird and a rabbit?"

"Chirp, I say . . . Chirp"

And don't forget the classic novel sequel -

"Kill Mo' Mockingbird - Boo Radley in the Hood"

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I was just thinking of "Kill Mo' Mockingbird" on the way home from work today!

I also have some doubts about a feature-length film, though. Maybe if it's done in a "22 Short Films About Springfield" vein...

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
I know this isn't exactly constructive, but can I please make it known that I do NOT want Mike Meyers involved in this project.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks