What's new

They sure dont make 'em like they used to. (1 Viewer)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
That beer sounds great, I have some Guinness in the fridge at home (I'm at work now). Man, Mark, you are living my dream man. You have all the certifications I'm currently in school for right now, your a network engineer in JAPAN:star: for god-sakes!! Gee wiz man, I am so freakin jealous!!...
smiley_gun_shot.gif
All I can say is one day man, one day..
P.S do you speak Japanese? I was thinking of taking that up in school to just to be more marketable

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Ok , I do remember those Old Yamaha amps, dag was that back in the 80's when those came out? Man how time flys.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Get outta here Mark
smiley_finger.gif
your not that much older than me , your only 38, your just like my brother
smiley_jester.gif

I remember those amps, I told you I'm "old school" dont forget it. :D

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
A quick trip back to the subject of beer....
LaMarcus: Is Sherlock's Home still around in downtown Dayton. Seems I downed a couple pints there one night -- and threw a few darts -- while I was in Dayton performing at the Victory Theater. (Of course, that was about 20 years ago....)
For sure I’ll have the best system in the retirement home!
You can bet that there won't be a Bose Wave Radio strapped to THAT old man's walker. ;)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Wayne, I bet you will, rock on my man, rock on!! (and I'll keep the gif's coming, lol)
Bob, to tell you the true man I wouldn't know, I'm really from Cincinnati, I got stationed up here in 96' and just stayed after I got out of the mil.
:star: :star:And beer is always a good subject!! :star: :star:
Your making me thirsty for one, but I'm at school right now , and should be listing to the professor but I'm too busy playing with my HT friends;) I'm going to have to start logging on at home so when ya'll start talking about beer I can chug one:D

Ashford Little

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have the answer, but I can tell you that the Yamaha CR-440 which I bought in 1980 which was rated at 30wpc (maybe 40) is still in use. It drives my Vandersteen's with ease and weighs a heck of a lot more than my Rotel 6 channel amp.

Oh, and my Dad has a Fisher that is from the early 70's and it's still rockin also.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Yea man, Fisher is the $#!T (you see that I through that in any chance I get:D )
And I too know the weight of any of that older equipment, I remember that I threw my back out before picking that old Marantz receiver up over my head. I'm telling you that thing weighed at least 85 to 100 pounds!!! I am NOT KIDDING!
I have to see a doctor.

John Capozzi

Auditioning
Oh yea, John I take it you were or are still in the military. One benefit of the gov., and going over seas is the super low prices on the electronics and things out there.I don't know what branch you were in but still, "HOO-RAH AIR FORCE!!"
Marine Corps. ;)

Norman L

Second Unit
Most of you should know by now , I am not a fan of ONKYO since they changed their power supply with the 494,595,696,500,600,700. Did anyone read the watt chart-100 watts to 46 is one of the lowest drops on the chart. The 600 to go from 80 watts to 30Watts is even worse.
Even the JVC & Kenwoods were better. Did anyone read the 595 review in Hi Fi Choice?
It appears that the Onkyo models from 1998, 1999,2000 were great but the 2001 and 2002 seem to fall short in the power supply. I hope these threads can change a good company to wake up and go back to the old days.
Check out what could happen if the amp is week.
Who could be satisified with 30Watts?
http://www.audiovideo101.com/dictionary/clipping.asp
http://207.35.168.36/ofsoundmind/os...udiobasics.html

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Bob
OK. No problem. We'll just have to have some four-way Skyline Chili with those beers.
Man where are you from , you know everything about southwest Ohio, I'm impressed you've had Skyline. Why am I a crack head when it comes to Skyline chili. And that is definitely a Cincinnati thing, oh my God it is so good. You just made me so hungry you jack-@$$,:D

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
LaMarcus,
If you're considering Klipsch and looking for maximum slam or bass hit then go with the Legend 30's (dual 12"s). I have those for mains and they LOVE to play loud and will hit you in the chest. You can pick them up on ebay for a decent price, so I'd get 2 pair :)
The dual Tempest 15" sonosub was VERY easy to build and not a lot of $$$. It WILL rattle windows 2 houses away, I'm talking "KILLER" bass here.
You NEED one of these....:D

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Norman, Amen brother!!!
Mike,I'm going to have to check that out, see I get lucky.

Norman L

Second Unit
ONYKO REPORT
In 1998, 1999, 2000 Onkyo receivers had power supplies to output the rated watts to run all channels. In 2001 and 2002 the power supplies had been changed and the volts going into all channels are reduced which means much less watts.
I had been using an ONKYO 727 (80 watts) for the past 8 to 10 years powering my B & W ( DM2000) speakers , which require a minimum of 50 watts to drive, and was happy with my receiver. I decide to upgrade from Prologic to 6.1 and bought the Onyko 600.
I adjusted all channels with the pink noise based on Avia, (85db) and played at
10db below. A few days after listing and enjoying I played a few DVD’s that have intense DTS or Dolby sound effects, my volume control was set at 10 db below reference of 85db. When the sound effects in the movie kicked in, the db’s raised 20 to 30 higher without me touching the volume control. My B & W speakers both blew by being clipped by the Onyko.
At first I had no idea why, after talking to B & W, they explained what could happen if the receiver can’t deliver the watts need to drive a speaker when the source material is loud and strong. If the receiver’s volts to drive a speaker are lowered the speaker cannot move fast enough when the source material is loud and strong to cool itself. This would melt the wires or loosen the glue going to the voice coil. The speakers could not handle the drop in power when the source was loud and strong to drive the speakers.
??? But why were the volts lowered if the Onkyo 600 is rated at 80w x6???????
I called Onkyo USA they insisted that the receivers output was 80x6, so I called the Onyko distributor in Canada and was connected to their chief technical engineer.
He had a 500, 600 and 700 in his lab. I told him my story about the B & W speakers and he offered to test the 600 and the 700. His report to me was that the 600 tested at 26 or 27 volts – 2 channels or 81watts. But when set to 5-channel stereo the receiver drop the volts immediately to 30W. The 700 dropped to 38W. He also told me the power supply couldn’t handle 26 volts to all channels. I have our 30-minute conversation transcribed.
I then brought my 600 to a NJ authorized technical repair lab to test the 600 and receive in writing a report on the output. The 600 running 2 channels tested at 26.5 volts or 81 watts. In 5-channel stereo the volts dropped to 16.5 or 34w per channel.
The result is the POWER SUPPLY is not capable of giving the necessary volts to all amplifiers at the same time to maintain an 80 or even 65 watts.
Previous models like the 555,575,575x, 777, and the high-end units like the 989, 797 have stronger power supplies to maintain their rated power. It appears that the 494, 595, 696, 500, 600, 700 have less powerful power supplies than in the past and should be a concern for some of you.
If you believe you need headroom or use low efficient speakers and/or speaker with high minimum watts consider other manufactures. Also if you are happy with 30w to 38w enjoy your 600 or 700. My opinion is that that is not what home theater is about.
Laws should be changed to require consistent reporting of watts running 5 channels.
Check out the link to Watts provided by Phil Iturralde
This site when busy is not available, keep trying.
Check out the Links on Clipping.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Hol...01/ratevsac.htm
http://www.audiovideo101.com/dictionary/clipping.asp
http://207.35.168.36/ofsoundmind/os...udiobasics.html

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
Excellent post Norman. What do these Onkyo receivers go for these days? Are they cheap? Is this a case of "you get what you pay for" or a case of "you got robbed by Onkyo"?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks