What's new

They sure dont make 'em like they used to. (1 Viewer)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Steve you really summed it up man. That's why I said those days were the nirvana days because you didn't have the Internet or the 'hometheaterforum' to let you know that there is a multitude of better equipment available to make you look at yours with contempt.
smiley_angry_fire.gif

Walt N

Second Unit
"I'm guessing that "back in the day" you just kicked back and enjoyed the music rather than wondering how good it sounded."
I'm sure I obsessed more "then" than I do now. Styluses and tubes going bad (is that hum getting louder?), trying to keep vinyl clean and pop free, TT adjustments, worn out audiotape and tape players that needed frequent cleaning/head alignment, potentiometers getting noisy, terminal corrosion, foam rot, etc. etc. and then you had guys like Matt Polk, Ray Kimber, and Noel Lee coming along saying that maybe lamp cord isn't good enough for my speakers! (Say what?)
For the most part, nowadays stuff works perfectly or not at all. I've got remotes for everything and my music collection resides mainly in megachangers so I rarely have to get up. This reduces oxygen flow to the brain = less worrying. :emoji_thumbsup:
I really don't miss the old days. Besides, you get so much more for your money now. In the late 70's a very good pair of speakers was somewhere around $800, same as today but we didn't make nearly as much money.
True, we didn't have the internet to keep us thinking about the possible inadequacies of our systems. Stereophile and the local dealer did that for us.:D

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Walt, your a rare one my friend, if what I'm hearing is true it seems that your one of the few who is actually satisfied with his system.

Walt N

Second Unit
If I can make it through the reams of info on HTF about how to use my new Behringer Feedback Destroyer to EQ my subs without having a nervous breakdown, I'll be satisfied with my sytem.;)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Bob,
LaMarcus is talking run-of-the-mill receivers and you’re talking upper-end separates. Marantz two-channel separates of yore hold up very well even now, as do components from Yamaha and Harmon Kardon. I believe his point was that old two-channel receivers put out more power than modern fare of similar quality.
A point I’d agree with. For instance if anyone checked out the link that Gerald provided, the author noted the following:
with all the channels going, which is pretty sorry compared to the claimed 100 watt per channel rating. That is less power per channel than an old 2235 receiver. Shocking, eh?
After seeing this I took a look at the back of an old 1978 vintage Marantz I still have laying around, a surprisingly heavy 30 watt-per-channel integrated amp. It said 220 watts! No wonder when I retired this gem in the mid-80s for a 100-watt Pioneer integrated amp I was disappointed that it seemed to play only marginally louder!
Speakers – well, I’ll give you that one. :) It’s not hard to find speakers these days that outperform those three-way, 15” woofered wonders!
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Wayne just made it worst, lol. So how in the hell are you supposed to know just how good a receiver is going to sound?

The thing about it is that not only did the good receivers back then have serious power, but the crappy ones weren't too distance a second. They still could push the woofers.

My receiver today will not make my woofer move. But the amp in my car makes the woofers jump! But thats something different altogether.

The question still stands, how the hell do you determine what receiver is going to give you the power you need if they all say 100wX5? Or, are we all doomed to get amps?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The author of the above quote gives a good idea: Take the total consumption watts on the back of the receiver and divide by the number of channels. Then divide that number by half!

Regards,

Wayne Pflughaupt

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Thanks Wayne, your very knowledgeable. You must have been into this stuff for a long while huh?

John Capozzi

Auditioning
I've still got a Yamaha M-80 amp and C-80 pre-amp that I bought in Japan in '85. And they STILL kick ass, both in terms of sound quality and volume.
They've fed ten different sets of speakers and played thousands of hours over the years and the only problem I've had with them is that some of the button paint is wearing, and one burned out display LED at the top of the power scale on the left channel of the M-80..which I can only see if I crank it full volume with no speakers connected. ;)
If memory serves, buying them duty free in Okinawa, in '85, they cost me $650 for the amp and $300 for the pre-amp, and this was when the Yen was 260 to the Dollar!
Of course, the amp is strictly two channel, and the pre-amp just sits there looking pretty these days, supplanted by an A/V reciever.
For that matter, I still have my '85 model Yamaha CD player, and it still plays just fine..though it's horribly outdated..it sits in a box with a DBX decoder, an Akai reel-to-reel, a PCM decoder, and a Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck. I take them out and fondle them once in awhile, all the equipment listed above was about a year's worth of my disposable income when I bought it. ;)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
LaMarcus,

Thanks Wayne. You must have been into this stuff for a long while huh?
Yes I am, happy to say! The little 30-watt Marantz was part of the first stereo I had a few years out of high school, along with Technics cassette deck, some no-name speakers and a Technics turntable w/Shure cartridge. All budget gear in it’s day, but very well made. Still have the turntable - still worked fine the last time I used it in nineteen ninety-something.

Nice gear, John! I used to drool over those Yamaha separates! I also have an Akai 10” reel-to-reel, but sadly it needs repairs. I sure miss those big wheels turning! JVC 3-head decks were about as “rich" as I got in cassette decks, although I was extremely pleased with the one I had.

Just curious, though, aside from looks, how does a CD player become “outdated?” Only loads one CD at a time?

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Michael_UK

Stunt Coordinator
One thing LaMArcus you can't judge cone movement from different types speakers e.g. ported ans sealed.

If you look at a sealed speaker the cone moves in and out quite far BUT a new speaker which is of a ported design will not move far when it is playing above its port frequency.

Although my Denon 355 UK amp (55+55 @ 8 ohms) makes my ported Mission M73 floor standers move quite a bit.

Loud enough for me as it played music to levels above of 96 db.

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
LaMarcus,

My "old school system" is still serving duty in the garage. I'm talking Pioneer 75wpc receiver and a pair of AAL15" 3 ways with dual mids. Back in the day they were the $hit for sure. Loud and pounding bass, earsplitting high's, etc..., but to try and compare that to what's available now isn't even a contest.

I'm also VERY happy with my current system. Other then needing a bigger TV I've completed "my" dream system over the past 3-4 months. I'm using 7 Klipsch Legends and a DIY sonosub that take HT movie watching to a new level as stuff shakes off of shelves, tables, etc... plus the crystal clear accuracy of the horns.

I also have to ability to do 7 channel stereo and talk about having my own dance club. I had a DJ friend over the other week and he said my system is louder/cleaner than most clubs he mixes in.

I DON'T miss turntables one bit. Prefer to load up a songlist of .mp3's on the PC and let it do its thing. IMO technology has dramatically increased the viewing/listening experience. YMMV....Mike

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
I second your opinion, John, on the Yamaha amps. I have an M80 I bought new in Cuba in 1987 for $480 and an M85 I bought used for $100 in '99. The former owner doesn't know what he lost out on. I also have 2 C80's in a box. Love those big Yamaha amps. I have my amps fed from my Yamaha 2095 receiver. No need to use the internal amps in that thing. I will save them in case my M80/85's blow up one day.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Funny we are on this topic...

... the same thing came up in discussions at a high end A/V shop today. We yakked for an hour, discussing different amps. We went into the rage on 5 channel and even (Yikes!) seven channel amps.

At the end of the discussion, he said it well...

If you are going 7.1, the ideal set-up is three two channel amps and a monoblock. This way you have a pretty damn good idea what the power rating is on the amp, (plus you lessen the heat problem).

Before you say it, I know, suddenly you've developed a space problem...

...still...

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
WHEW!! This thread is really taking off, I don't think I've ever started a thread with two pages, COOL!!
Any way..let me start with John Capozzi, that's some nice "old school" equipment you got there man. You could start a dance club with that stuff.
I'm still a true believer that the stuff from old just has more raw power
smiley_shock.gif
!!!Just call it ignorance I guess..
smiley_stupid.gif
Oh yea, John I take it you were or are still in the military. One benefit of the gov., and going over seas is the super low prices on the electronics and things out there.I don't know what branch you were in but still, "HOO-RAH AIR FORCE!!"
smiley_gun_rifle.gif

Wayne,
Mark said:
You should be ashamed of yourself for taking that M85 from him, that guy was a real idiot, I think he got
smiley_sex.gif
LOL.But hey, that's just my opinion...
Oh yeah, a Mark, Guinness "dat's da drink!!"
smiley_beertoast.gif

How much is the Guinness where you are? $9.50 for a SIX PACK here, my girl thinks its the nastiest $#!T in the world!lol.??
smiley_puke2.gif

Mark post some freakin pics on your website man, you have some primo equipment and no pics, whuts da deal???k

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
LaMarcus, your wish is my command now that I am on vacation. I will post some pics of my home theater soon. Stay tuned.
Guinness- goes for about $3.00 for a 12oz can in some grocery stores and about $6.00 for a pint in a pub. I don't mind paying that price once in a while, especially for Bass or Old Speckled Hen. But give me stateside pricing any day. Can we get a beer thread on here??:D

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Geez louise!!! I would think the price would be cheaper since it's over seas!!! My god man, you say your on vacation? In Japan? Just how rich are you ? lol;)

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
No, I live here, not just on vacation. Just took some pics and may have them up by tomorrow. Time for a beer. BTW, I like your system setup. Just checked it out. I need a TV as big or bigger than me, too. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks