What's new

Theatrical Version Without a Blu-Ray Release (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'll start with GETTYSBURG, a film so far as I know which has not been released in its original theatrical version on Blu-Ray. it's a shame too, since it's one of my favorites. It's not that the extended version is bad; it's just that the movie is so bloody long already that I don't particularly think it needed to be longer, especially when most of the added length is small talk that IMHO deserved to be cut.

Has AMADEUS been released in its theatrical version?

What's a film you'd like to see that has been released on DVD in its theatrical version but not Blu-Ray?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I disagree about Gettysburg, I would only watch the long version over the theatrical version. When this film played in select movie theaters back in the say, I made a 100 mile round trip to watch it, but in my opinion, the extended version is the best cut of the film.

As to your question, Blood Simple is one off the top of my head.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I agree there are some scenes in the extended cut that are nice (getting general Ewell's side of the story is good, for example). I just wish I had the option of which version to watch.

Perhaps I'll get used to the extended cut after I watch it a few times. I have only seen it twice.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The first three Star Wars movies, obviously. And THX-1138.

Blood Simple, both in its current version and upcoming Criterion edition.

The Last of the Mohicans.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yeah, Criterion I think was the last hope to see the theatrical cut of Blood Simple again but it seems the Coens only want their shortened and re-edited director's cut out there. I wonder if the theatrical cut was preserved in any way. I don't mind if people want to go back and do further work on their films but I think the cut released in theaters should be preserved.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not 100% sure on these, but it seems like I've only ever seen extended versions on blu:

Fried Green Tomatoes
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Dances With Wolves

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Not to my knowledge. This is one that needs to be redone with a new transfer and both versions available.

I know the goal of the thread is to see these films reach Blu-ray - but just as an FYI, the theatrical AMADEUS is on an early DVD release.

Edit: Hmmm... Isn't the "reply" function supposed to include the quote within the quote?

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
The first three Star Wars movies, obviously. And THX-1138.

Blood Simple, both in its current version and upcoming Criterion edition.

The Last of the Mohicans.

Are there any Lucas Star Wars movies available on bluray in their original theatrical versions?

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I know the goal of the thread is to see these films reach Blu-ray - but just as an FYI, the theatrical AMADEUS is on an early DVD release.

Edit: Hmmm... Isn't the "reply" function supposed to include the quote within the quote?

Yes, and it is anamorphic. For those of you, like me, that think this will be a long time coming, if ever, there is this 1997 DVD of the 160 minute theatrical version.

https://www.amazon.com/Amadeus-F-Murray-Abraham/dp/6304712936

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks