What's new

The Wizard of Oz 4K UHD 80th Anniversary (2 Viewers)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Where are the laserdisc versions? I have The Ultimate Oz box about ten steps from where I'm sitting right this minute.

I held on to both the Criterion and The Ultimate Oz LDs.

EDIT: I know I had one, maybe two others, at one time.....so I was at least a little bit virtuous in narrowing the holdings down to those two. In the more contemporary formats, I have the 2005 3-disc DVD set, the 70th anniversary big box BD set, and the 3D Blu-ray.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Concerning the specifics of this title, all of this format collecting seems very Oz to me.;)
P.S. Day One Purchase, full steam ahead.:)

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Google has setup something special this weekend in honor of the 80th Anniversary. Goggle "Wizard of Oz" and click on the ruby slippers and then the tornado

the-wizard-of-oz-75-years-facts-ftr.jpg

Last edited:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
While the 2009 Blu-ray is wonderful, I'm curious to how HDR is going to affect a (mostly) 3-strip Tech feature.

Back in 2004, I was lucky enough to catch a 35mm dye-transfer print screening. What stuck with me was how inky black the Wicked Witch's cloak looked. (Unfortunately, the print quality was the only good part of that screening - they cropped it to 1.85:1 and the sound was terrible.)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
While the 2009 Blu-ray is wonderful, I'm curious to how HDR is going to affect a (mostly) 3-strip Tech feature.

Back in 2004, I was lucky enough to catch a 35mm dye-transfer print screening. What stuck with me was how inky black the Wicked Witch's cloak looked. (Unfortunately, the print quality was the only good part of that screening - they cropped it to 1.85:1 and the sound was terrible.)

I've seen clips of Oz in widescreen before and I didn't think they looked bad, I would and could watch in that format.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Im curious how the black and white footage will look in 4k UHD. All this talk about the the release (see below) and it seems WB did not include any info about the B&W scenes, which were tinted but not actual "color' like 90% of the film. I feel the same way about Its a Wonderful Life - These are the first black and white films to hit the format and are highly anticipated :)
  • BRAND NEW 8K 16-BIT SCAN OF THE ORIGINAL TECHNICOLOR CAMERA NEGATIVE

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Im curious how the black and white footage will look in 4k UHD. All this talk about the the release (see below) and it seems WB did not include any info about the B&W scenes, which were tinted but not actual "color' like 90% of the film. I feel the same way about Its a Wonderful Life - These are the first black and white films to hit the format and are highly anticipated :)

All of Kansas was shot in black and white and then dyed sepia to give it an old fashion look and feeling.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As somebody that actually watched the movie in 4K/Dolby Vision, you should be very please as to how the black and white sequences look.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Can't wait, Robert. I envy you for having had the chance to see it already.
Meanwhile, here in Australia, I can't find even one retailer offering this. I would have thought this would be an international release!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Meanwhile, here in Australia, I can't find even one retailer offering this. I would have thought this would be an international release!
Yeah, I kind of figured somebody screwed up at iTunes for having it available long before its release date so when I bought the digital from them that early morning I just sat down and watched the entire movie before the sun came up as I suspected it wouldn't be there very long which it wasn't.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Perhaps they confused it with this ...
220px-The_Boy_from_Oz_Original_Broadway_Poster.jpg

and chose not to order it ... just sayin' ;)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
80 Years ago today, we traveled along with Dorothy down the yellow brick road into movie history

Just because something is written on imdb doesn't make it true. There are a lot of facts that have to be ignored in order to buy into an August 25th release date.

Again, the film officially premiered in Hollywood on August 15th and began regular engagements in LA and Philadelphia the next day. It opened in New York (seen by approximately 250,000 people in it's first week) on August 17th and also opened in at least Pittsburgh, Boston, and Minneapolis/St. Paul BEFORE the 25th. August 25th is 'A' release date, not 'THE' release date.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Just because something is written on imdb doesn't make it true. There are a lot of facts that have to be ignored in order to buy into an August 25th release date.

Again, the film officially premiered in Hollywood on August 15th and began regular engagements in LA and Philadelphia the next day. It opened in New York (seen by approximately 250,000 people in it's first week) on August 17th and also opened in at least Pittsburgh, Boston, and Minneapolis/St. Paul BEFORE the 25th. August 25th is 'A' release date, not 'THE' release date.

August 25 is the wide release of the film, most films go by the wide release date and not the Hollywood premiere.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
most films go by the wide release date

According to whom?

We're not JUST taking about the premiere, the movie opened in at least six major cities before the 25th and was seen, we have to assume, by at least 300,000 patrons.

When is the release date for Oklahoma? 1955 or 1956? It's regarded by all accounts as a 1955 film yet only played in four theaters by the end of that year. It didn't go into "wide release" until the fall of 1956. Do you regard THAT as the release date, too?

Gone with the Wind? 1939? 1940? 1941?

When you say WE traveled down the yellow brick road on this day in history you're completely discounting the wide swath of moviegoers who already had the pleasure of seeing it.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yes, and it’s worth keeping in mind that that style of release (opening in select cities first rather than nationwide all at once) was the norm for that period in film history. If we counted release date only by when a film was finally available nationwide, we’d have to date a lot of classic films as being a year or two younger than they actually are, which of course makes no sense.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Yes, and it’s worth keeping in mind that that style of release (opening in select cities first rather than nationwide all at once) was the norm for that period in film history. If we counted release date only by when a film was finally available nationwide, we’d have to date a lot of classic films as being a year or two younger than they actually are, which of course makes no sense.

THAT'S ALLS I'M SAYIN'!!!

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
According to whom?

We're not JUST taking about the premiere, the movie opened in at least six major cities before the 25th and was seen, we have to assume, by at least 300,000 patrons.

When is the release date for Oklahoma? 1955 or 1956? It's regarded by all accounts as a 1955 film yet only played in four theaters by the end of that year. It didn't go into "wide release" until the fall of 1956. Do you regard THAT as the release date, too?

When you say WE traveled down the yellow brick road on this day in history you're completely discounting the wide swath of moviegoers who already had the pleasure of seeing it.

According to history is whom. August 25th is the date that all sources of information report the film as debuting.

I've never seen Oklahoma, I only know of two songs and that's it. However I will go wit the majority and say it's debut is 1955.

The we I mean is collectively, meaning all.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
According to history is whom. August 25th is the date that all sources of information report the film as debuting.

No, no one is reporting that date as the "debut" (check your definition of the word) they report it as a wide release date. There's a big difference. My point is that the particular date is meaningless in regards to how you're using it as the movie was already being seen in six of the largest markets in the country prior to it.

With that I'm done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks